View Diary: Pulling Eric out of School (135 comments)

•  My oldest is about to start college classes here (2+ / 0-)
    k8dd8d, FloridaSNMOM

in DC... he is 16. He can do this because of their dual enrollment program. Though, honestly, he would be better off just to take the GED and start college classes as a Freshman. Time is not on his side for this semester.

•  Say more about time not "being on his side"! (0+ / 0-)

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 12:38:42 PM PDT

•  Because we just moved back to the States, (3+ / 0-)
        EclecticCrafter, rosabw, FloridaSNMOM

he doesn't have a lot of time to schedule the GED before college starts at the end of August. My fault for planning a vacation to visit his grandparents but we haven't seen them for over a year. If we lived in one location, he would have had more flexibility in planning a time to take his GED but living overseas you have to be 17 to take it, not 16. Sometimes being a military kid can be tough.

•  Is he eager to start in to college work?... (3+ / 0-)
          EclecticCrafter, rosabw, FloridaSNMOM

Maybe he could start taking community college classes (which at least in CA don't require a high school diploma or GED to take) covering some of the basics he would have to take at the four-year schools he might be interested in.

IMO a lot of kids would benefit from more real world experience between K-12 and college, like getting a job or doing some sort of extensive community service to get some more "real world" under their belts before they launch into expensive college tracks.  Your kids with their periods of homeschooling/unschooling may have already had those sorts of experiences.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 04:26:22 PM PDT

•  that's what she means by dual enrollment (1+ / 0-)
            angelajean

mine will start it in a year.  In Washington, he can go to Community College for free for two years that line up to Junior and Senior year of high school.  He will earn both high school and college credits for those two years.

Then when applying to college, he will apply as a freshman and his credits will be backfilled so he'll really enter somewhere between Sophomore and Junior depending on which of his credits are acceptable (different schools take different CC credits).

I think Angie was saying she just wanted hers to skip that whole process and start college outright.

For us, it's a financial help, the more college credits, test outs like AP, Clep or SAT Subject tests we can get done before college, the fewer credits we will ultimately have to pay for!

If you took the greed out of Wall Street all you’d have left is pavement ~Robert Reich

by k8dd8d on Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 09:25:56 PM PDT

•  Thanks for clarifying, I know its a challenge... (2+ / 0-)
              FloridaSNMOM, angelajean

to try and sort out the whole college thing with your kids.  We did not have to do that with ours, because they have totally parted company with the whole academic world and stake their development in the real world.  Guess I may be slowly losing my connection with the whole academic education thing.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 10:31:19 PM PDT

•  well, mine wants to be a theoretical physicist (2+ / 0-)
                angelajean, EclecticCrafter

so the option of not doing college really doesn't exist, and in fact, he may end up in academia in the long run because he believes that will give him the ability to do "cool research".

I think he was internally disappointed in the Higgs Bosun finding because he didn't get to find it!

by k8dd8d on Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 08:10:49 AM PDT

•  If it were free here, it would be an easier (1+ / 0-)
              EclecticCrafter

decision. We have to pay for the classes. Bummer, that.

Also, I'm noticing as we look at 4 year schools that some of them are not accepting all dual enrollment classes. Might mean testing out of some college level classes come Freshman year instead of getting the credit for them.

•  From my experience appealing classes... (2+ / 0-)
                rosabw, angelajean

can be very successful.  When I went to college for the second time to get my BS in Computer Science, they wanted me to take 12 general studies classes since none of GS classes from my first BA mapped exactly to their GS reqs.  So I got the appeal forms and wrote up 12 appeals, one for each class, based on past course work I had taken and out-of-classroom experience.  I ended up being successful on 10 of 12 appeals and only ended up having to take two GS classes towards getting my BS.

Cooper Zale Los Angeles http://www.leftyparent.com

by leftyparent on Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 01:45:31 PM PDT

•  yeah, Washington's program is pretty cool (1+ / 0-)
                angelajean

it's available to every High School Junior & Senior in the state, and basically about 95% of the money the high school would get goes to the Community College.  The High School gets just enough to cover their issuing a transcript I think.  The kids have to pass the entrance exam for the CC.

They limit it to 15 credits per quarter, 6 consecutive quarters (excepting summer), with a use or lose it provision.  We pay fees, books and transportation/parking, but no tuition.

For kids in school, the district determines when they are a junior.  For homeschoolers, the parents determine when they are a junior, although the school district has to agree and I think they have to be 16, not sure about that piece.

I know that all credits won't backfill, but I think the experience of doing college classes, along with learning the ropes of college are well worth it.  They can get an AA in the two years, but it is really hard, and transferring in to university as a junior is not as easy (and there isn't as much money available) as applying as a freshman.

We've been on a path to this for the past several years.  My oldest is a sophomore in the coming school year, and my middle is a freshman.  The more credits and test-outs we can do, the better as far as I am concerned.

by k8dd8d on Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 05:48:52 PM PDT