View Diary: White Male Power, Not American Exceptionalism Conservatives' True Goal (112 comments)

•  And we explain (1+ / 0-)
    JayRaye

Colin Powell and Herman Cain how?

•  same way we explain (14+ / 0-)

Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, or gay republicans, or anyone else who is too dense to understand that they participate in a party that at its core is against their best interest.

They just think they're in the popular clique, but as soon as they leave the clique talks about them behind their back.

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 09:03:57 AM PDT

•  But (0+ / 0-)

by your own reasoning, they got into the clique in the first place. And where is all this behind-the-back sniping? I can't say I've seen much of it. I also can't say I'm much for conspiracy theories in general, and I think this theory in particular needs work.

•  Conspiracy theory?? (1+ / 0-)
          AoT

Do you honestly think the GOP takes Palin, Bachmann, Cain or any of these other bozos seriously?  They got "in" the clique in the first place because they bring the crazy base along with them, and the GOP desperately needs the crazy in order to win.  Do they want Palin & Co. to actually win?  Hell no.

You talk like I'm postulating some complex, Machiavellic machination - I'm not.

It's simple.  And painfully obvious.  Relax.

"Mediocrity cannot know excellence." -- Sherlock Holmes

by La Gitane on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 12:55:57 PM PDT

•  Tokenism is a common thing (12+ / 0-)

when groups don't want to appear to be racist or sexist.  How much power do either of those people have?  How much have they ever had?

There revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 09:29:33 AM PDT

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

they seem to have convinced hundreds of thousands of people that they might be viable presidential candidates. Seems to be more than just tokenism.

•  Don't be dense (2+ / 0-)
          sfcouple, LSophia

Sure, there can be exceptional people who rise above their station. Tenpoint is, you should not have to be that shining, extraordinary, exceptional person just to reach heights that others reach by fortune of birth.

I once saw it analogied, quite well, as a video game. At the beginning of a gem, you can choose easy, medium, hard, expert level of difficulty.

You can start on expert difficulty and still win the game. You can start on easy difficulty and still lose.

Being a white male is like starting on easy mode with all the cheat codes. It actually takes work to screw it up.

•  Here is the reference (3+ / 0-)
            AoT, AlecMN, YucatanMan

Straight White Male: The Lowest Difficulty Setting There Is
            by John Scalzi

It's a marvelous concept, and what was amazing was how many straight white males went absolutely bonkers loudly insisting that this was NOT TRUE when it so obviously is true.

In capitalist America, bank robs you!

by madhaus on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 12:24:06 PM PDT

•  Liked Scalzi's Redshirts (0+ / 0-)

and he may be right that "normal' or "default" is still SWM, but that doesn't get you to the diary's claim that the goal of conservatism is the conscious aggrandizement of white male power. In short, I agree more with St. Jimmy, that economics trumps race and, in point of fact, I think that the accusations of racism against Republicans, conservatives and Tea Party supporters are almost entirely misplaced. Heretical, I know.

•  My diary has nothing, zero, zilch to do with racis (0+ / 0-)

Where in my diary did I even mention racism once. It is completely about keeping the traditional, straight white male power structure in place. Pretty sure racism is not mentioned.

They fight against anything that may increase the power of someone not them.

•  My error, then (0+ / 0-)

From now on, if someone tells me that the staright white male power structure is racist or enshrines racism, I'll refer them to you for correction.

•  Don't get me wrong.... (3+ / 0-)
                    LSophia, YucatanMan, madhaus

Some of them may use racism as a tool to oppress opposition and rally support to their cause, but to them racism would just be a tool to cement their own place and tear down those trying to improve their own station.

The composition of the "other" is really irrelevant to the dominate power structure. The just don't want whatever "other" it is improving because they feel it as a threat. Whether that "other" is women, the poor, the middle class, homosexuals, a different race, immigrants, the wrong religion, etc. That is actually irrelevant to the power structure except when they can use it as a cudgel. They are very practical after all. Practical enough to exploit other people's demons, of course.

•  Yes Herman Cain was a comer (2+ / 0-)
          AoT, YucatanMan

until people learned what his ideas were. And saw him in action. And then dropped him like a hot potato. But he was no stupider than Gingrich, santorem, or Romney. Yet the survived longer. And how many delegates did the black guy win in the Republican contests. Going all the way back to August 11. Zero thats how many.

•  Colin Powell can be explained because (6+ / 0-)

in 2000 he thought that he could appeal to the old style traditional Republicans, not having realized that Newt Gingrich had started letting the genie (dog whistle bigotry, hatred, sexism, teh stupid) out of the bottle during the 1990's. This is much in the same manner that the election of Dwight Eisenhower moderated the party somewhat in the 1950's. I think that Colin Powell wanted to be a moderating influence. As far as Herman Cain goes, I suggest that you consult a clinical psychologist.

•  First of all you must sepearate (1+ / 0-)
      LSophia

Colin Powell from Herman Cain. Two different people. General Powell was the son of immigrants who worked hard and earned his way into West Point. And then had a stellar career as a top military officer. Herman Cain has been all about Herman Cain. Someone very good at self promotion. And a classic conservative parroting back conservative "thinking" without a lot of reflection or thought. Sort of like Clarence Thomas. Not a quality thinker. In fact can anyone name a quality black conservative thinker? All the ones I know about are hacks. Not even qualified to be in the same room as Eric Dyson. Or Cornell West. Or Neil deGrasse Tyson.

•  Another opinion (0+ / 0-)

Thomas Sowell, whatever you think of his politics, strikes me as a quality thinker, as does Stephen Carter. Cornell West is, IMO, intellectual Jello, no matter how politically correct.

•  I will agree with you on Carter (0+ / 0-)

but not Sowell, he has an immature University of Chicago understanding of economics and free marketeers do not have any credibility left intellectually anymore. They tend to be too glib about the suffering of people.

Cornell West is a powerful voice for Democratic Socialism. A guy not trying to line his pockets. And a great jazz musician.

•  Or name a quality conservative thinker (0+ / 0-)

of any race, creed or color. They're all hacks nowadays because their current philosophy is indefensible and becomes even more painfully and transparently absurd as we go along. And no one will back down from it; they double down.

rMoney: Just another jerk, lookin' for work.

Where have you gone, 50-state strategy?
        Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

by OleHippieChick on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 01:15:44 PM PDT

•  Malcolm Gladwell is the only one I can think (1+ / 0-)
        joe wobblie

of, though I'm not a big fan of his.

by AoT on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 02:44:43 PM PDT

•  wanna be's. eom (0+ / 0-)

by YucatanMan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 09:00:38 PM PDT

• Republicans (18)
  • Health Care (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • International (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site