View Diary: Bain Capital-owned Domino's Pizza makes a hah-hah rape joke with new "NO IS THE NEW YES" campaign (290 comments)

•  bunk (21+ / 0-)

It - 'no is the new yes,' - is overtly derived from 'no means yes', which has ALWAYS referred to rape as a preceived entitlement by the rapist.

They are both barely witty perversions of the language by someone who wants something from you, thinks they're entitled, selling you something, bullying you by saying "no means yes, now do you want me to hit you?* It's  calling war, peace; bombing, 'an operation; rape, 'hooking up'

I've been reading up on desensitizing language, bullying through language (such as, up is down, no is yes), marketing (getting to yes, right? snark) specifically with respect to the rape culture. I'm going to take a break. I'm getting really pissed off.

I liked this, it's at least researched, and reminds us that now rape is a funny ad on tv...

Are Mass Media Creating a Culture of Rape

Thanks, again Eclecta, I'm thinking you truned over a rock.

* Opposite Day

•  Oh Mother of God, just googled "No means yes." (5+ / 0-)
      Tonedevil, elwior, atana, cai, splashy

Well, that was horrific.

Somehow I had been spared that, and only knew the "No means no" part.

Life is a school, love is the lesson.

by means are the ends on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:05:48 AM PDT

•  This Claim is Ludicrious (4+ / 0-)
      TofG, rivercard, New Rule, melfunction
      It's CLEARLY derived from "_ is the new black."

If the slogan were "No Means Yes" you'd have a point.

They don't even MEAN the same thing.  "No is the new yes," means "It used to be cool for us to say yes, now it's cool for us to say no."

Too Folk For You. - Schmidting in the Punch Bowl - verb - Committing an unexpected and underhanded political act intended to "spoil the party."

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:08:12 AM PDT

•  Quit using logic (3+ / 0-)
        TooFolkGR, melfunction, MRobDC

this is now a feelings not facts based community.

•  They combined two memes to create a more powerful (2+ / 0-)

marketing slogan: don't count the number of angels on this pin, TooFolkGR: we are alerting you to a dog-whistle meant to appeal to a subgroup of conservatives that have been making the case over the last few months that women are exaggerating the problem of rape--and weakening their key meme, NO means NO.
         That they combined it with a different meme to create plausible deniability for people like you is one thing--or, giving them less credit in matters of language, they accidentally created this slogan that it fits right-wing attacks on the social progress women have been making against the patriarchy.

Either way, the slogan needs to go.

The claim is FAR from ludicrous, TooFolkGR--your parsing of the slogan is starting to look ridiculous to me, though.

The labor of a human being is not a commodity or article of commerce. Clayton Act, Section 6.

by Ignacio Magaloni on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 08:54:49 PM PDT

•  I'm not particularly thrilled by... (17+ / 0-)

...what's under this rock. I expect this kind of pushback from the conservative trolls on my site but not here. Not at all.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
      -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me & LOLGOP at the new & improved Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:10:28 AM PDT

•  Please Elaborate (2+ / 0-)
        TofG, melfunction

Tell me what is implied by the fact that I disagree that this slogan actually has anything to do with rape or is a rape joke.

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:30:46 AM PDT

•  I'm not interested in fighting with you. (12+ / 0-)

I'm mostly offended by someone else's comments as you can see if you look at my response to them.

In general, I find it astonishing that people aren't making the connection between "no is the new yes" and "no means yes".

As someone who raised his daughter and son teaching them the concept of "no means no" when it comes to sex, the connection is obvious to me, particularly in light of the "no means yes, yes means anal" chant I referenced.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
          -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me & LOLGOP at the new & improved Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:42:40 AM PDT

•  I'm Not Making the Connection (0+ / 0-)

So you're talking to me.

I'm not interested in fighting with you either.

I'm legitimately asking, since I apparently live under a rock, what does it say about me?

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:46:23 AM PDT

•  I would put it in the same category as... (9+ / 0-)

...white people not fully understanding racism, particularly subtle, not-in-your-face racism.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
              -- Dr. Peter Venkman

Join me & LOLGOP at the new & improved Eclectablog.com.

by Eclectablog on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:47:44 AM PDT

•  I Just Keep Going Back to Your Claim (1+ / 0-)
                melfunction

That the slogan is "clearly" a mash-up of "__ is the new black" and "no means no."

I don't understand why my ability to detect subtle "pro-rape-sim" (if that's even a thing) would prevent me from seeing that.

I've said it a few times in this thread... apart from the word "no" I don't see any linguistic connection between "no means no" and "no is the new yes."  Especially when you consider that "no is the new yes" literally means "It's cool to say now now, when it didn't used to be." (their meanings aren't even smiliar).

But I appreciate you explaining.

by TooFolkGR on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:58:07 AM PDT

•  You've made the connection (3+ / 0-)
                TooFolkGR, New Rule, rudewarrior

But others who have seen this for months have seen another. Let's think this through:

1) This campaign has been around for 3 months. In that time span a number of gender specific incidents have occurred (i.e. Limbaugh being an asshold) yet no one has considered the connection you're making here

2) In the actual campaign Domino's is running the emphasis is placed on the fact that they are telling their customers "No" when the CV has been to tell customers "Yes" about everything

3) This has nothing whatsoever to do with Bain-Romney-presidential politics b/c as you've noted this is a new ad and whereas Romney's defense of "I wasn't there and didn't decide this" is indefensible in a number of legitimate cases (i.e. medical waste) it rings true in this instance.

4) Making this kind of connection is nonconstructive for a) Democratic political goals (because wtf does the government have to do with this?), b) Feminist interests (because it plays into the stereotype of "I can't say anything without pissing of a feminist" because this instance is CLEARLY a stretch), and c) keeping this community focused on progressive goals. This is no more than manufactured outrage because a few people saw "words on the beach" and interpreted them one way when the broader community was working within the full context of the entire ad strategy

Alternatively:

1) You've made the obvious, right, and CLEAR connection that others have pains to overlook for 3 months.

Let's try to shy away from getting involved with "what a company meant to say" and stick instead to "what the crazy people who occupy an entire national party ACTUALLY say".

•  Exactly. The racists know what they are saying (1+ / 0-)
                Ignacio Magaloni

Just as the major misogynists know what they are saying.

Someone that doesn't think that way might not, but to dismiss others that try to explain it to them just because they don't think it's that way is a bit arrogant.

Women create the entire labor force.

by splashy on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 05:30:12 PM PDT

•  maybe it only speaks to the 1 in 3 (3+ / 0-)
              Avilyn, cai, splashy

women who will suffer sexual violence in this country in their lives, pretty good odds, huh

or to the children

•  This site (1+ / 0-)
        Eclectablog

is chockablock full of males who don't have a clue about sexual politics.  If you have read the diaries and comments about rape, about using terms like 'bitch', about sexual harassment, you would see that there is a large block of liberal men who still don't get that there is a side of life that doesn't include them getting to screw any female in the room any time they want.  That doesn't include all liberal men, perhaps not most, but it does include many here at DK.  Not understanding that "Yes means No" is about sex is deliberate,  and gets the guy off the hook of having to deal with the reality of women having rights.

Not all those who wander are lost.

by Leftleaner on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 06:24:33 PM PDT

•  I see some women on here too who seem pretty (0+ / 0-)

unconcerned.  Where do they fit into your calculus?

pretty sexist post, too.

•  Yup (0+ / 0-)

Lots of women are unconcerned about the whole thing.  Lots of lack of understanding about what is going on.

Sexist?  Maybe.  Real?  In my humble estimation, yes.  One person's opinion for sure.  Just because something is not politically correct doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Not all those who wander are lost.

by Leftleaner on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 10:29:11 PM PDT