View Diary: Thanks ACA/Obamacares! My rebate check is here. Updated. (151 comments)

•  It will help President Obama... (15+ / 0-)

Maybe we should each donate $100 out of our insurance rebate checks to the Obama 2012 campaign.   If I get one (from Anthem BC?  I'm hoping!), I intend to donate $200 of it.  (Donated over $800 for his election in 2008, but in this economy, I just haven't had that kind of money for political contributions this time around.  Alas.)

It's been staggering to see the hundreds of millions of dollars the rightwing 1% are pouring into Romney's coffers (even just over this weekend!), and also to Rethug downticket races.  Every day I (and I'm sure all of you) receive emails from the Obama campaign and downticket-candidates, imploring us to dig deep and help them overcome the Citizens United devastation of our Democracy, by the previously unimaginable sums of money being poured in to buy this election for the 1%'s sole interests, America be damned.

So...just a suggestion.  We really oughta turn some of this insurance-rebate money back into helping to save our Democracy.  Y'think?

"I'm glad I don't know how it feels to vote to withhold basic human rights from someone else." DavidW-DKos

by sockpuppet on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 01:35:28 PM PDT

•  Does it strike anyone else as crazy (17+ / 0-)

that when we've got so many financial problems right now that the Presidential candidates will each have probably spent over a billion dollars by the time it is over?

Throw in all the Senate and House races and it is depressing how much money we waste on politics when we've got people getting kicked out of their homes and trying to survive on food stamps.

•  I shake my head over this situation every damn day (10+ / 0-)

Millions and Millions of dollars are being spent on this election, on both sides.  But the extravagance is heavily weighted to the GOP as the lapdogs of the international 1%-ers.  ("International", because we don't know who is pouring all these mega-millions into the GOP superPacs.  Could be Chinese.  Could be Saudis.  Could be any of the multi-national conglomerates who want no taxes and no regulations of their activities.)

You're right.  Just think how many public-works projects could be funded with that money, putting citizens back to work.   Or money poured into improving schools, first-responders in municipalities, indigent health care, or hell, just even for improving middleclass health care!

But because of Citizens United (feeling a guilty conscience, are ya, Justice Roberts?), we now have to fight fire with fire.   The Rethugs know we progressives don't have the kind of money they have access to.   So they intend to overwhelm us with their "resources".

We gotta find a way to help, each one of us.  If you've only got a dollar to give, just know it will help.

And since I haven't had hardly even a dollar to give to campaigns so far this year, until now, I intend to catch up, especially using some of any health-insurance rebate I may get.

by sockpuppet on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 03:09:43 PM PDT

•  Maybe they need a separate tracking for (2+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat, mrsgoo

the number of advertising jobs that will be generated?
        Also need tracking for what the ad company and media profits come to. The jobs won't last long and the corps will just funnel most of what is made into bonuses and dividends.

It would be very cool to get one of those checks. Unfortunately, I couldn't pay the premiums 3 years ago and am this week hoping that I win the CO health ins lotto. Yeah, if you qualify for the new program for older people with no dependents, there are too many of us to all go on the program, so they have a lotto draw once a month and you only get the insurance if you have a winning ticket. The draw was supposed to be around the 7th or 8th - except that would have been on a weekend. Notice will be after the 15th.

Talked with my son last night and found out the FU from BCBS he had mentioned in an email was that he wouldn't get a rebate. For some reason, the guy has suspicions. Maybe from associating with the woman who created him, for 31 years?

by Ginny in CO on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 04:21:21 PM PDT

•  healthcare by lotto. how disgusting. You should (3+ / 0-)

diary that.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 06:00:28 PM PDT

•  It's an idea Mrs G. If I win, it could (1+ / 0-)
            mrsgoo

be from actual experience... Of course, that makes about 3 diaries I should write, and the one I was playing with.

I put this in a reply to MB's request to turn a comment into a diary. Of all my Mom's beautiful writing, my favorite.

Oh, Time, winged abstract measure...
                Cease your reckless flight!
                Here is a by-passed pleasure
                Of virgin sheets and fertile thoughts
                With pen, to be seduced ... or wed?

Oh, Time,   Alight!

One of these days, I will try to borrow her round tuit.  ;)

by Ginny in CO on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 07:02:28 PM PDT

•  I hope you do get round tuit. I will never forget (1+ / 0-)
              Ginny in CO

the first time I got a rec from MB - I was like a giddy stupid school girl. (hope he doesn't see this and get a big head!)

by mrsgoo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 08:37:22 PM PDT

•  No kidding. It's sickening. (0+ / 0-)

by mrsgoo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 05:58:34 PM PDT

•  Frankly right now, I really need that 400 bucks to (3+ / 0-)
      lissablack, bkamr, KnotIookin

pay my mortgage. Folks out here are pulling their horns back in again. Camping/Boating is discretionary income. We had a fantastic! Memorial Day but 4th of July was an absolute bust being in the middle of the week. And after Memorial Day things literally went dead. But yes, if I can scrape a few bucks together, it's going to directly to OFA.

by mrsgoo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 05:57:58 PM PDT

•  My son and I just did the annual roll the coins (2+ / 0-)
        mrsgoo, rja

in the coin jar.  Half to President Obama and I let him choose who we'd send the other half to.  His choice? Elizabeth Warren.  (He's a good kid.)

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 06:41:36 PM PDT

•  Now that IS a good kid! Liz is doing well. Glad to (1+ / 0-)
          bkamr

see that. DSCC called me about a month ago wanting money - NO I do not think so. But we donate money to Democrats in tough races. Yes, and you donate to BLUE DOGS! I only donate through ACT BLUE and ONLY to progressive Democrats. but...but...but... Sorry, have a nice day. I refuse to support Blue Dogs. With me, it's only Act Blue or directly to Obama. Sorry Debbie. Even though I pretty much like you.

by mrsgoo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 08:42:52 PM PDT

•  We're doing what we can to help Obama. Like (0+ / 0-)

so many, here, we have reservation ... especially about the drone attacks and ed policy, but Romney can not be allowed to become POTUS.  That simply must not be allowed to happen.

by bkamr on Tue Jul 10, 2012 at 02:08:02 AM PDT