View Diary: Please, call it the way it is, Mitt Romney used racist rhetoric at the NAACP event. PERIOD (135 comments)

•  AMEN! Wish I could rec. 100 times! (44+ / 0-)

I just said to my wife, before logging on to DKos, that this was the most disgusting moment in American politics since Ronald Reagan opened his general election campaign with a speech in praise of "state's rights" in, of all places, Philadelphia, Mississippi.  (For those who are too young to remember those days, Philadelphia, MS is the county seat of Neshoba County, where three young civil rights workers were brutally murdered, with the connivance of local law enforcement officers, for the "crime" of registering black voters.  Because of "state's rights," nobody was convicted of these crimes for decades.)

I'll translate the strategy for those who didn't immediately get what he was doing:

I'm having trouble with the white racist know-nothing wing of the Republican base.  So I'll get the n**ers to boo me, and that will convince the rednecks that if the n**ers hate him, he must be OK!

The first instance, by Ronald Reagan, convinced me to change my registration from Republican to Democrat.  This one has convinced me to dig deep into my savings, and make a $2,000 contribution to the Obama campaign.  My wife and I are retired, so that's a big part of our annual income, but I don't want to live in a country presided over by somebody who would do what Mitt Romney did today.

I challenge others to dig deep, and do everything you can to defeat this pernicious threat to everything that real Americans hold dear.

Bin Laden is dead. GM and Chrysler are alive.

by leevank on Wed Jul 11, 2012 at 09:40:24 PM PDT

•  thank you! (6+ / 0-)

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Wed Jul 11, 2012 at 10:32:38 PM PDT

•  the closest analogue i can see (6+ / 0-)

is when gingrich went to town on juan williams in the south carolina GOP debate here.

•  Yep I remember that and..... (11+ / 0-)

Remember when Reagan even got more blatant and started using the term "Welfare queens who drive around in pink Cadillac?"   OMG the GOP have such a racist, divisive history of throwing out both blatant and less obvious dog whistles to their hateful base!

This motivates me to open my wallet too.

(-6.25, -4.36) Just another socialist lesbian undermining the sanctity of marriage by breathing

by Gertrude on Wed Jul 11, 2012 at 11:56:03 PM PDT

•  Not for anything (5+ / 0-)
      rb608, JayRaye, FindingMyVoice, dinazina, kyril

I agree that this should embolden Democrats but one of the biggest problems in politics is excessive money - your $2,000 could feed a poor family for a few months - something more important than a lawn sign or a millisecond of advertising.

Make the donation in Obama's name - if that catches on, think of the great press it would get.

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

by ctexrep on Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 03:40:07 AM PDT

•  I'm donating, today. My Mom is on a fixed (7+ / 0-)

income, but she called me this morning to ask me to make an on-line donation for her.  I think it's time folks.

Donate so all the ads in the Fall aren't wall-to-wall Romney lies.  Even if you can only afford 5 bucks, we need to send a message TODAY.  Facebook friends ... tweet ... text out the links for donations.

I want President Obama for President - Campaign Donation Page

PAC for Obama - The folks doing the Bain ads.

Donate NOW and GOTV soon.

Plutocracy (noun) Greek ploutokratia, from ploutos wealth; 1) government by the wealthy; 2) 21st c. U.S.A.; 3) 22nd c. The World

by bkamr on Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 04:51:29 AM PDT

•  Nailed it (2+ / 0-)
      kyril, leevank

Romney's speech translated into teabagger redneck language reads as follows:

When I'm president, you n*gg*rs will get no more government checks.  The days of us good hard working white people paying for you n*gg*rs to loaf around and make more n*gg*rs are over!
      As someone living rural MI, I can attest to the accuracy of this translation.  That is EXACTLY how redneck teabaggers think.  They believe that blacks get all the welfare money, and none of it goes to anyone else except maybe hispanics.  They think they are the only one's who work hard and have trouble paying the bills, which by the way wouldn't be so high except for all liberals overregulating the utility companies.  They're angry because despite working so very hard, they don't have money for x consumer product, while those blacks just get government checks and do drugs and fuck all day long.

I don't know if it's always been this way and the rural areas never progressed beyond the Jim Crow era, or if this hatred has been newly stoked by wingnut radio and Fox news, but whatever the reason, there is a tinderbox about to go off out here.  Most of these people are armchair warriors, but if they had just a little less to lose, those guns they clean every Friday night would be put to use.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Thu Jul 12, 2012 at 11:40:14 AM PDT