View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Paul LePage says the IRS is going to kill people — seriously (126 comments)

•  The article is fine (1+ / 0-)
    dc1000

But honestly even as a partisan political junkie I'm finding this whole thing hard to follow and harder to care about.

26, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-14 (formerly PA-02/NY-12).

by Xenocrypt on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 07:44:39 AM PDT

•  Is this all about (0+ / 0-)

The torturous distinctions between a leave of absence and a nominal chairmanship and a trustee role or am I missing something?

by Xenocrypt on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 07:58:47 AM PDT

•  BOOM: OFA with a follow-up ad (2+ / 0-)
        sapelcovits, KingofSpades

Here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/...

They're doing exactly what I said in a comment above I hoped they would do, answering Romney's "lying" ads by doubling down with more direct evidence.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 08:17:15 AM PDT

•  Where was the candidate endorsement? (0+ / 0-)

The "I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message"? Is that a web ad? Or just unfinished because there was some dead space at the beginning where it could be added in.

•  Good catch (1+ / 0-)
            KingofSpades

I missed it that the disclosure wasn't there.

That would make it a web ad.

But it's only 30 seconds, that's why I took it as a TV ad.  They can add the disclosure and put it on the air in a heartbeat.

by DCCyclone on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 08:27:44 AM PDT

•  So... (1+ / 0-)
          Chachy

1. Obama attacks Romney on Bain.
          2. Romney says no, I didn't work there then.
          3. Obama says yeah you did.
          4. Romney says no, you're lying, I just had a nominal chairmanship.
          5. Obama says no, you were just on a leave of absence.

(I admit I'm mixing the Salon piece with the ad.)

Once we get to the rebuttal to the rebuttal to the attacks I'm pretty sure every swing voter in the country has stopped paying attention.

by Xenocrypt on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 08:31:42 AM PDT

•  I don't remember #4 happening (0+ / 0-)

Didn't Romney just say he wasn't there?

•  TPM (0+ / 0-)

paraphrasing Romney, here:

The reason this issue is in dispute at all is because Mitt Romney wants full political inoculation from anything Bain did between early 1999 and 2002, when he definitely truly left the company. He wasn’t in charge, except in a narrow, technical sense; he’d delegated his duties; Bain’s business practices from that period can’t be hung around his neck.

by Xenocrypt on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 09:57:33 AM PDT

•  I disagree (0+ / 0-)

This will keep coming up and hurting Romney.

The fact is is that he made over $100,000 for doing NOTHING, even by his own admission.

It feeds into the perception that he is way out of touch with the average American.

Remember, in 2010 he made $60,000 A DAY while being "unemployed".

The average American thinks that a CEO should know what is happening with the company they chair. Romney continues to look out of touch and incompetent because of this story.

•  I am extremely skeptical (0+ / 0-)

that enough people (who aren't hugely committed political junkies) will know about this and care about this for it to have any impact at all.

Only 59% of the country knew that the Supreme Court had upheld Obamacare, assuming Kaiser can be trusted--and that was an enormous national story.  How many people are following this?  I'm barely following this!

Maybe Romney's hurt, in some marginal way, by being a rich CEO type, but he was a rich CEO type before this whole controversy, so the marginal effect of this particular dispute is probably some small fraction of that.

by Xenocrypt on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 10:05:40 AM PDT