View Diary: How to AVOID writing passwords (154 comments)

•  love your (6+ / 0-)

"low tech, 4 legged, loud mouthed household security"

Also, I think a lot of this is just nuts.  When  websites will look through your contact list  (how kind of them!) to get names for you and you are asked to enter you pin number in a place that is in full view and has numbers that could be read from fifty feet, I hate to tell you but there are no secrets.

As for banking I have my on-line access limited to one account and it does not allow overdraft nor can it be linked to another.  The most they could get me for on that one is  limited.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 06:08:02 AM PDT

•  Oh, the pin code really gets to me. (5+ / 0-)
      DRo, sawgrass727, ER Doc, Lujane, kyril

The other is when I am some where they need to confirm my social and/or birth date. Last week a gal did that by saying what they had on record. The birth  date was not a huge deal but I did motion to lower her voice. No, she announced my SS# to a roomful of people. So I thanked her at an even louder level.

I guess the diarist didn't have time to hang around?

The low tech security joke.

Burglar opened a sliding glass door and entered a very dark room. Suddenly he heard "Jesus is watching you." He froze and tried to locate the person, almost backing out the door. Again "Jesus is watching you." Then he saw the parrot and laughed. Asks the parrot "What's your name?" "Claude"  "What fool names a parrot Claude?" "Same fool that named the rottweiler Jesus."

Shalom is my second rottie mix dog. They have both been wonderful dogs, protective appropriately - and they scare strangers because of the rottie features. I also have a thing about single function stuff. Her prime function is emotional support animal - an official ADA status :)

by Ginny in CO on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 10:39:13 AM PDT

•  Yeah, (4+ / 0-)
        Ginny in CO, bumbi, Lujane, kyril

When they spend all the time identifying you, a lot of that is nonsense.  An identity thief would already have the answers to those questions, and why do  I have to a zip code when I want to buy gas? Don't you think if someone grabbed my credit card  or # they would have access to my zip code too?

A lot of this is phooey.  When I see these so-called security measures it sets off my internal bull$hit detector.

Another thing that drives me nuts is that people seem to think that plastic is safer than carrying cash. It's the same difference.  If you are held up, you are going to tell them the pin so you might as well hand them your cash.

Happy you have a support animal. Mine is not official and wouldn't scare a real burglar. But even a small noise might discourage someone or beckon a neighbor.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 11:21:21 AM PDT

•  Forgot to say, (3+ / 0-)
        bumbi, Lujane, kyril

that's a cute joke!

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 11:44:11 AM PDT

•  I like it because in our tech crazy (4+ / 0-)
          DRo, bumbi, Lujane, kyril

society, we forget that low tech works just fine. The fact that some large percent of people can't use their remote controls even if someone else programs them properly says it all for me.

So the noisy dog may discourage the burglar because a neighbor might notice.

When we were living in an apartment in the early years, my ex had a pretty expensive bunch of tools in an enclosed back porch. The lock was ok but the door was useless. He found a 2X4 that was long enough to brace the door to the concrete foundation. One night we were awakened by a horrible bang. The door was hanging off the lock side, the 2x4 slid to one side, and no burglar...

by Ginny in CO on Fri Jul 13, 2012 at 12:21:22 PM PDT

•  My kind of precautions! (4+ / 0-)
            Ginny in CO, bumbi, Lujane, kyril

I happen to have a set of copper pots (despite the cost, I never liked cooking with them).  They live as decor hanging from chains on a tall floor to ceiling window.  If anyone ever tried to get through that window, I think they would have to study it for a long time, and I doubt they could do it without a lot of noise!

Security system? That only announces that you have something worth securing.  Folks don't know where that data is shared and thieves are better finding it and at high-tech disabling than the average homeowner is of setting one up.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi