View Diary: Common Core State Standards – Are Dangerous (133 comments)

•  This comment shows what is wrong... (1+ / 0-)
    tultican

about schools. By the 12th grade

1. Students should be able to identify quotes from five different Shakespeare plays..
    2. Diagram a sentence.
    3. Explain the General Theory of Relativity, the three laws of thermodynamics.
    4. Solve a quadratic equation.
    5. Identify 12 different foreign capitals.
    6. Explain evolution.

We have to get away from the bullshit.

•  As a future teacher of English Language Arts, (7+ / 0-)

I can think about 30 things I would consider more important to learn by 12th grade than diagramming a sentence.

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 06:44:17 AM PDT

•  As a Current Teacher . . . (1+ / 0-)
        ChurchofBruce

. . . Who has taught College Freshman Composition, Middle School Language Arts, and High School English (Grades 9-12), neither can I.

You cannot hate people for their own good. -- Unknown

by IamGumby on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 08:47:22 AM PDT

•  D'oh! Correction: (2+ / 0-)
          ChurchofBruce, Cassandra Waites

Responded too quickly. "Neither can I" should be "So can I." I was thinking along the lines of, "I can't think of many things that are less important to learn by 12th grade than diagramming a sentence."

You cannot hate people for their own good. -- Unknown

by IamGumby on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 08:49:36 AM PDT

•  I have a Ph.D. in a humanities discipline (0+ / 0-)

I've published a book and over a dozen articles.  I have never diagrammed a sentence in my life.

"We *can* go back to the Dark Ages! The crust of learning and good manners and tolerance is so thin!" -- Sinclair Lewis

by Nespolo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 03:26:36 PM PDT

•  Not an English teacher (3+ / 0-)
        kyril, Linda Wood, AkaEnragedGoddess

but as a science teacher I can see a case for teaching students to diagram sentences: 1)Analyzing language helps structure analytical thinking in general 2)The concepts of noun and verb lay the groundwork for the concepts of matter and energy.

Light is seen through a small hole.

by houyhnhnm on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 10:03:16 AM PDT

•  The concept of noun, verb, etc. (0+ / 0-)

is important (and hopefully you learn it long before 12th grade!), but the actual diagramming of sentences?

I absolutely HATE diagramming sentences. Why? Because I don't need it. Diagramming is a crutch. Yes, some students need it; but, if I've got an AP class that shows me, through their writing, that they understand proper sentence structure? I'm not going to waste my time (and theirs) by diagramming.

So, yeah, my future student that does A work in my AP class and can write properly? If s/he never learns to diagram, I'm perfectly fine with that. Students who need that help to understand sentence structure? For them, I'll gladly teach it. But, no, not everybody needs to learn to diagram, not by a long shot.

"Maybe: it's a vicious little word that could slay me"--Sara Bareilles

by ChurchofBruce on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 10:21:53 AM PDT

•  Common core standards are a floor (1+ / 0-)
            AkaEnragedGoddess

not a ceiling. They don't apply to AP courses, which answer to a Higher Power.

I'm going to be teaching AP chem for the first time next year and I'm certainly not going to teach students that "atoms side by side in the periodic table are close to each other in mass and differ by 1 in their numbers of protons. They have different chemical properties."  They'd better know that already!

That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea for all high school graduates to at least know that "atoms side by side in the periodic table are close to each other in mass and differ by 1 in their numbers of protons. They have different chemical properties."

Light is seen through a small hole.

by houyhnhnm on Thu Jul 19, 2012 at 10:48:01 AM PDT

•  Do they still teach sentence diagrams? (0+ / 0-)

I don't think either of my high school graduates ever saw one. They're doing fine, by the way.

•  Can you tell me where this is from? (4+ / 0-)
      Odysseus, kyril, houyhnhnm, Linda Wood

Are these from Common Core?  Next Gen Science Standards?  Current standards that are now being replaced?  Or did you just make this up?

I do know that #3 and #6 are not from the Next Gen Science Standards draft.  #5 is a social studies standard, so has nothing to do with Common Core or Next Gen Science....new Social Studies standards are in the very earliest stages (the groups are barely beginning to organize).

•  Keep going or just borrow from Hirsch (0+ / 0-)

or is the complete list of essential knowledge in your veiw?

If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living. - Gail Sheehy

by itisuptous on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 09:32:50 AM PDT

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • International (18)
  • Republicans (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site