View Diary: Let Me Tell You How The Aurora, CO Tragedy Will Play Out (264 comments)

•  Hunters, self defense, government otherthrow... (0+ / 0-)

Those are the needs for semi-automatic weapons. Like it or not, the Founders did consider enemies "foreign and domestic" to be reasons for taking up arms to conduct an insurgency. Their words speak as loudly as their actions, which happened to be taking up arms to conduct an insurgency against an enemy that was both foreign and domestic.

You don't have to buy into "big government takeover" to see the value in collective self-defense. If some of y'all are worried about the GOP's actions to disenfranchise people via voter suppression and other methods, then perhaps you might want to consider arming yourselves. Unless you prefer to go like sheep to the slaughter, or showers or however they choose to do it next time.

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-

by JPax on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 05:07:46 PM PDT

•  You think the GOP will GAS voters not on their (0+ / 0-)

side?

When's the last time you had a checkup from the neck up?

This is, of course, the difference between republicans and human beings. - Captain Frogbert

by glorificus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 05:29:38 PM PDT

•  It was only a grain of sand ago (0+ / 0-)

On the other hand, I think running like hell is probably a better plan.

and I wait for them to interrupt my drinking from this broken cup

by le sequoit on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 06:20:21 PM PDT

•  Traffic Jams = fish in a barrel (0+ / 0-)

Remember the evacuations from Katrina and Rita and other hurricanes? And that assumes there's somewhere safe to go. Civil strife isn't always as clear cut as in a set piece battle. No matter where you go, there they are, because they planned in advance and got there first.

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-

by JPax on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 08:18:21 PM PDT

•  Have you listened to them? Mob Mentality is real. (0+ / 0-)

Do you have any training in sociology, psychology or group dynamics? Are you not familiar with Milgrim and other studies? Have you not heard about all the civil strifes and the brutality that has existed between factions after hostilities begin?

Do you really think it couldn't happen here when it's happened so many other places? Or are you one of those people who believe in "American Exceptionalism"?

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-

by JPax on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 07:47:45 PM PDT

•  I don't think my concept of "American (0+ / 0-)

Exceptionalism" is the same as yours.

by glorificus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 08:01:57 PM PDT

•  Possibly, there are two definitions: (0+ / 0-)

The common one suggesting excellence and the International Relations definition suggesting exemption. Having studies IR I try to stick to the latter but realize most people assume the former. So, I generally end up speaking at the level of non-IR types.

So what did you mean then?

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-

by JPax on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 08:24:31 PM PDT

•  I'm not discussing this. I reject the premise that (0+ / 0-)

the GOP, bat-shit crazy as it it, would GAS or otherwise murder white middle class citizens en masse.

Yes, they are racist, and too many are ignorant and violent, but that supposition goes too far.

by glorificus on Sat Jul 21, 2012 at 04:58:15 AM PDT

•  If only they'd known (0+ / 0-)

I have often noted that if a government went rogue and we needed to fight back, we should be a lot more concerned about registration and tracking of motor vehicles than guns.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 05:43:11 PM PDT

•  Not sure I follow. Why? (0+ / 0-)

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-

by JPax on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 07:48:49 PM PDT

•  Way more people have cars than have guns (0+ / 0-)

Cars are registered. People/drivers are licensed. If a government wanted to restrict freedom they could shut down movement and travel far more easily than they could remove guns.

by Catte Nappe on Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 08:37:54 PM PDT

•  Ah, gotcha. (2+ / 0-)
            Catte Nappe, worldlotus

But I think rebels could walk or use bicycles. Or they could just take out the checkpoints in a surprise attack. There really aren't a lot of law enforcement or military personnel compared to the number of armed civilians. Of course, this assumes it's a top-down political conflict instead of a grass-roots uprising of one faction against another.

-We need Healthcare Reform... but i'm selfish, I Need Healthcare reform-