View Diary: My Plea For The Privileged Among Us To Remember How Blessed We Are (73 comments)

•  I did—well the printed version at Bloomberg... (6+ / 0-)

As well as cites from:

David Stockman (former director of the Office of Management and Budget under President Ronald Reagan and Republican congressman from Michigan)
      The Small Business Majority
      Cullen Roche at Pragmatic Capitalism (he'd find the below claim amusing, I'm sure)
      The Non-Partisan Tax Foundation
      Business Insider
      Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) (His report titled Subsidies of the Rich & Famous)

I was told to "do some reality checking of [my] own...don't just post links to liberal articles."

Stop the party of Gut & Spend policies that gut our Earned Benefits programs like Social Security and Medicare and spends on tax breaks for the wealthy elite.

by jillwklausen on Sat Jul 21, 2012 at 11:17:26 PM PDT

•  Keep responding (4+ / 0-)
        MRA NY, Only Needs a Beat, LynChi, Renee

to them. When they go quiet you know you hit the mark.
        It is at that point that you have made them think too much and they have to shut you out to stop the discordance with their ideology.

They will come back and may even ask you for links to send their other conservative friends or continue to be entrenched and not come back. The ones that keep communicating with you are yours.

If peace is to prevail we all have to become foes of violence.

by spacejam on Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 04:38:18 AM PDT

•  Ha. Never happens that way. Been doing this (3+ / 0-)
          Renee, SuWho, greengemini

so long I know better. They are FIRMLY entrenched and they will declare victory at any random point in the discussion they feel like. That's when you know you're dealing with a lunatic who cannot be reasoned with under any circumstances.

Jill....its hysterical seeing the TRUTH get you so angry. You liberals always resort to that when you're defeated. You game sounds good. It just doesn't work. Never has...never will. Mine on the other hand does and will again.
          Feel free to read the entire exchange here if you have the stomach for it. As I'm sure you can guess, I never exhibited this so-called anger he randomly accused me of. But this is their game. Sane people eventually stop paying with lunatics.

by jillwklausen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 07:47:14 AM PDT

•  ((((Jill)))) (2+ / 0-)
            SuWho, jillwklausen

I read some of the exchange.

I got into it on Facebook with someone in an old high school friend's post on the economy. It looked exactly like yours until the guy got so mad at me he pulled rank with his age, work experience and educational level and my friend closed the doors.

I had gotten tired of him ignoring my facts so I was calling his into dispute. I was simply saying, " I think your viewpoint of the economics in question are inadequate."

It threatened his privilege and he responded by making sure I understood just how lofty his position was.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 08:23:15 AM PDT

•  "It threatened his privilege." BRILLIANT ... (1+ / 0-)
              Renee

observation. Thank you for sharing your story, as well.

by jillwklausen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 01:56:47 PM PDT

•  Thanks. I find myself trying to find a way to (0+ / 0-)

get through to these people. I didn't get the chance to tell him he was acting as though his privilege had been threatened, but I plan to try it the next time I get into a "discussion" with people who embrace hierarchical organization of our status.

I hope it might give them pause to see the rage they are feeling and then hear the words about something being threatened.

It is a work in progress and I'm always glad to see fellow workers.

Poverty = politics.