View Diary: A lesbian mother's chilling experience with Mitt Romney (182 comments)

•  Control freak (25+ / 0-)

My own opinion - any man who runs an "excommunication trial" of any sort is a cultist and a control freak and is manifestly unqualified for office.

I'll just go ahead and say it... anyone who believes that nonsense enough to buy into excommunications and exorcisms and sealing in the temple or all that superstitious narrow dogmatic crap is a person who cannot be trusted.  Give me a man or woman who stares up at the sky and marvels at the scale of the universe, who asks questions, who knows that s/he does not know, who has once or twice seen something of incredible beauty without trying to box it into some set of rules.

I'm OK with religious people, but for god's sake, remember that it's about beauty and mystery.  Someone comes at me with some BS about excommunication, and my usual response is to tell them that their religion is ugly and false and abhorent.

“If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.” Charles Darwin

by ivorybill on Mon Jul 23, 2012 at 07:29:12 PM PDT

•  Thank you for saying this out loud. (14+ / 0-)

I didn't want to have to be the one. This is wacky stuff. Perhaps Romney should have sought to be a leader in his church, not in government. We'd all be better off.

•  If it came to choosing between (13+ / 0-)

the Book of Mormon and the Constitution, I'm not sure I can trust which document Romney would prefer.

Your comment reminds me of the jokes going around that Santorum wasn't running for the Republican nomination, he was running to be the American Pope. Sometimes I worry that Romney's running solely to baptize the entire nation into the LDS Church.

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Mon Jul 23, 2012 at 08:50:36 PM PDT

•  THIS (0+ / 0-)

This needs to be flogged by Obama's surrogates.  Relentlessly.  Particularly around evangelicals.

His Mormonism already creeps them out.  Let's hammer that home.

•  Today we pick on Mormons, tomorrow--??? (0+ / 0-)

That's the danger of using religion in political attack ads. Sooner or later one or more of the other non-majority-religion voting blocs is going to get spooked - and then you've lost people you can't afford to lose.

If it's
            Not your body,
            Then it's
            Not your choice
            And it's
            None of your damn business!

by TheOtherMaven on Tue Jul 24, 2012 at 09:26:06 AM PDT

•  It's all about attaining the most powerful (13+ / 0-)

position in the world. Romney doesn't care about governing or helping people ... Romney cares about Romney holding the position. If he attained the highest position in his church, he'd just be a big fish in a small pond. He want's to be the biggest fish in the ocean.

Chris Matthews nailed it last month when he went on his glorious rant. I wrote a diary about it then:

Let me finish with this Romney character. I don't think Romney cares all that much about the presidency, except that he wants it. If he weren't running, do you think he'd be watching this show or any other show on politics? Mitt cares about three things: his faith, his family, his business. Right now his business is running for president. That's why he's interested in the presidency. It's his business to be interested.
        "This Romney character?" Not a person, a character. I think what Chris is trying to say here is that Mitt cares about the presidency in the sense that somebody cares about winning a trophy. It's a prize for him, not a calling. He's not running for president because he has any great desire to help improve the lives of as many people in this country as he can.

Wow! His Faith, His Family, His Business (w/Video)

If you didn't the rant, it's well worth watching. If you can't watch it, I transcribed it so you can read it.

For me, Mitt reminds me of Jeff Bridges in Starman. He's like an alien that hasn't read the entire manual. You know, he's going, "Nice to be in a place where the trees are the right size. -- Robin Williams on Letterman 26 Apr 2012

by hungrycoyote on Mon Jul 23, 2012 at 10:05:25 PM PDT

•  Nazi Pope (2+ / 0-)
      Only Needs a Beat, LSophia

The Nazi Pope in Rome is just such a man.

The whole religion scam is the 2nd oldest profession, usually indistinguishable from the oldest.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Tue Jul 24, 2012 at 04:44:38 AM PDT

•  Although not a believer (4+ / 0-)

I do see some value in some of the Catholic faith tradition.  I was lucky for some years to know Pat Farrell, that nun who is giving the Vatican such heartburn these days for standing up to the US Conference of Catholic Bishops.  She served in El Salvador in the late 70's and early 80's and she is tougher, smarter, kinder and more courageous than those who would silence her. Her, I respect.  Your point about the pope - yea, I agree.  He's an infantilized and rigid man, playing dress-up, focused on dogma and ceremony and not the heart and soul that motivates someone like Pat Farrell.

by ivorybill on Tue Jul 24, 2012 at 08:14:00 AM PDT