View Diary: Everything You Know About the Internet Is Wrong (184 comments)

•  If left to business (10+ / 0-)

it would have been a closed, pay-for-play system.  Just look at the billing tactics used by AT&T and the other telecom companies, and amplify it.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 10:47:27 AM PDT

•  Truth. (3+ / 0-)
      CuriousBoston, FarWestGirl, palantir

In the 70s, as the basics of ARPAnet were being figured out, IBM sold a proprietary communications package, based on a mini-computer (a System 7 box) at each end. It was expensive, unreliable, and 300 baud. 1200 baud eventually happened, but that was spoken of by the SEs in hushed and reverential tones, so you knew it was magnificently costly. Being an IBM piece, of course it was soon made obsolete by the market, although they continued to sell it for a few years on the premise that nothing else would work with other IBM equipment, or something.

The furnace of Affliction produces Refinement, in States as well as Individuals. John Adams, 1776.

by semiAdult on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 11:21:33 AM PDT

•  In the mid-90s (2+ / 0-)
      palantir, llywrch

I was working for a consulting company whose client was a large telco, which was planning to roll out just such a closed system for its customers. Then the Mosaic browser was introduced, and those plans fell apart fairly quickly (at least when "fairly quickly" is relative to the timescale of a large telco.)

Whether Mosaic, WWW, etc. actually caused that project's cancellation is hard to prove, but I have to think that there was a relationship.

Let us all have the strength to see the humanity in our enemies, and the courage to let them see the humanity in ourselves.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 01:24:50 PM PDT

•  Mosaic was (2+ / 0-)
        palantir, rja

IMO, a symptom of the WWW.  I used TIN and PINE to access the internet for the first few years, but graphic browsers made it possible for my non-techie friends to do, and that allowed it all to blow up.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 01:37:40 PM PDT

•  I didn't mean to conflate (1+ / 0-)
          palantir

Mosaic and WWW, though I can see why someone would read it that way. Yes, Mosaic was a front-end for the WWW; it was not the entirety of the WWW, nor the only client for it.

by Nowhere Man on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 01:53:55 PM PDT

•  yes, bu (2+ / 0-)
            Nowhere Man, palantir

it definitely opened the door to graphical browsers.  And those made the net more accessible.  That was my main point.
            If we still had to use text based browsers, the web would be much smaller.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 02:20:34 PM PDT