View Diary: This is what happens when shooting massacres occur outside the USA (+apology) (154 comments)

•  Banning... (0+ / 0-)

Neither of us have ever written anything about banning anything except crew-served weapons, where we both agree.

I want to understand if your notion within enhanced enforcement, without repealing the Hughes Amendment, or the GCA or NFA, includes the "regulation" of semi-automatic military style gas charged weapons (SAMGCW).

I believe you stated earlier that these types (SAMGCW) cannot be included in regulation since they are protected by the Second Amendment as personal weapons.

Is that correct?

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 11:58:42 AM PDT

•  No additional regulation, no. (1+ / 0-)
      rockhound

Not regulations singling them out for what would amount to a ban like some have suggested (calls for renewable or expansion of the AWB for one).

I'm willing to give on what we have since I think it would be a waste of time to fight for repeal of the parts of the Brady Bill that are still intact, or the repeal of the GCA or the NFA.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:10:40 PM PDT

•  What "amounts to a ban" (0+ / 0-)

is up for interpretation.

If I have to store my semi at the local armory, is that a ban? I would argue not. I believe it is within the Second Amendment, correctly read.  Some would argue yes, it is a ban.

I think that one method of regulation is to require some people, who may not fully qualify for the weapon at home to be allowed to own one in a State Arsenal for military use. Others may be allowed home use after determination of competence and perhaps leadership or training responsibilities. In any event,  a future bill could be crafted that way for consideration. I think it is extremely unwise to let the first 13 words of the Second Amendment go unused, and Scalia to go unchallenged in Heller. This proposal could, if enacted, restore the entire Second Amendment in a way that preserves the individual right and the well-regulated militia clause. We cannot let the Conservatives get away with nullifying sections of the Constitution their lobbying groups do not like.

And I applaud your stand on no repeal of what remains of the Brady Bill, and no change to the status of the GCA and NFA. I would go further in those laws, but at least we know where we are starting from.

Thank you again.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:19:43 PM PDT

•  I didn't say I wouldn't back repeal. (1+ / 0-)
          rockhound

I said there's no point in trying to.

Pragmatism and all that.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:42:21 PM PDT

•  Double negative.. does that translate into (0+ / 0-)

"I would back repeal if it were practical."

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 01:06:44 PM PDT

•  Of the NFA? Yes. (0+ / 0-)

Sections of the GCA as well.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 01:28:26 PM PDT

•  Ok. Dare I ask which sections? (0+ / 0-)

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 01:35:50 PM PDT

•  The sporting purpose import section. (0+ / 0-)

I think that a felon's rights should be returned to him after he/she is done serving their time with the exception of the violent felon. (IE: get sent to prison for felony possession of marijuana, when you come back out, your right to vote, RKBA, etc are returned to you)

The whole medical use of marijuana = no RKBA for you is bullshit as well.

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 01:53:48 PM PDT

•  Any violent crime..how about conspiracy or money (0+ / 0-)

laundering, fraud, or embezzlemnt or crimes of that sort. White collar crimes. The reason I ask is that this year a Wall Street Venture Capitalist gone rogue, and on the lam for 15 years and hiding out in the Range and Basin country of Southeastern Oregon was discovered on a warrant from Illinios, I think it was. He was posing as an alfalfa ranch hand and had several millions of illegally earned funds. He was armed when the Sheriff came to serve, stated a shootout with an automatic pistol, and ended up getting away, only shooting himself when the State Troopers closed in.No one else, miraculously, was injured.

But it seems to me that even non-violent criminals establish a pattern of sociopathy long before they take up an automatic gun. It would be part of your "stronger enforcement" policy to deter criminals from going violent when their non-violent crimes catch up with them, no?

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 02:26:47 PM PDT

•  Still interested in your views... (0+ / 0-)

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 03:05:52 PM PDT

•  Sorry, I was organizing for tomorrow. (0+ / 0-)

Last weekend, a buddy of mine and I were running a 4H shooting sports camp. Since he can't make it tomorrow, I'll be running a GSA shooting sports session and then heading to a training class to do some teaching. Just getting all my ducks in a row.

Like I said before: I am of the opinion that non-violent felons should have their rights returned to them once they've completed their sentence (and/or probation).

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth