View Diary: Our Treasury Secretary Was Chosen to Represent Bankers. Not You. (81 comments)

•  If your version of the base (0+ / 0-)

(and really, they aren't anywhere close to the base, but that's another arugment altogether) thinks that not re-electing Obama and the Democrats is going to make things better instead of worse with repsect to the financial scandal, I suggest they think again.

If you think telling me you need to be coddled and hand held on your issue before you'll get energized to do what's right for the country will get me on your side,  I suggest YOU think again.

I have no patience or understanding for those who do not find the difference between Romney and Obama energizing enough to work their asses off to re-elect the President and give him a Democratic majority.

They are making the very problems they claim to care about worse instead of better.

"The future of man is not one billion of us fighting over limited resources on a soon-to-be dead planet. . .I won't go back into the cave for anyone."

by Whimsical on Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 11:05:26 AM PDT

•  And re-electing Obama and doing ... (5+ / 0-)

... nothing else will also not make things substantially better. The different between driving the economy into the ditch and driving the economy over a cliff is real, but neither alternative is the policy that we ought to be pursuing, and shutting up about the Obama administration driving the economy into a ditch "just during election season" has one major flaw:

• Its Always Election Season In America.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 12:49:31 PM PDT

•  I wasn't aware (3+ / 0-)
        priceman, SpecialKinFlag, 420 forever

Priceman was trying to get conservatives on his side.  Didn't seem to be the diary's point.

‎"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." --Frederick Douglass

by Nada Lemming on Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 11:38:01 PM PDT

•  Like the sig by the way. New? nt (1+ / 0-)
          priceman
        •  What conservatives are you referring to? (3+ / 0-)
          Don midwest, priceman, 420 forever

The contrast between the Obama administration and the Republican alternative only makes the Obama administration relatively economically progressive, not economically progressive in an absolute sense. Geithner would have no place in an actually progressive economic policy team.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 10:59:10 AM PDT

•  And its going to take a few election cycles (0+ / 0-)

of supporting relatively progressive Democrats before you'll be able to get a Democrat that will appoint an actually progressive economic policy team.

Or you can not support relatively progressive Democrats, and then Republicans will get ion, and it will be generations before you can get back to relatively progressive, and hopefully not make the same mistake the second time around.

by Whimsical on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:43:34 PM PDT

•  What do you mean by support? (2+ / 0-)
              priceman, 420 forever

Is it poll "support"? Voting for? Or doorknocking for, phonebanking for, etc?

There is no amount of support for Hedge Fund Democrats that will move things toward "getting" to support actual progressives. The path to getting to support actual progressives is to fight for actual progressives at the primary level and then support those who get through to the general election.

If I have a certain amount of actual grass roots support that I can provide, it doesn't make much sense to use any of it in support of Democrats from the Hedge Fund wing if there are any progressive or populist candidates available to support.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 02:28:08 PM PDT

•  I agree with fighting for actual progressives (0+ / 0-)

in the primary; I've said that for years.

That said, not supporting- and by supporting, I mean doing EVERYTHING possible to get the Democrat -even if it's not the progressive- elected in the general is national suicide.

by Whimsical on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 05:35:09 PM PDT

•  Nice Straw Man (0+ / 0-)

Where did I say "elect Obama and do nothing else".  I honestly would've left the diary without comment, cept for the diarist's dickish assumption that me telling him that he needs to re-elect Obama because it's whats good for the country (in comparison to Romney) was some sort of insult.

As for the economy, substiantally better isn't on the menu, because that's not how the system WORKS.  Your choices are someone who will improve things a little (and after him, someone who will improve things a little more- whatever happened to patience being a virtue) or someone who will make things much, much worse.  And doing anything other than busting your ass to get the fellow who will make things a little better elected just makes it easier for the person that will make things much much worse to win.

by Whimsical on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:40:46 PM PDT

•  This was the straw man I was responding to: (2+ / 0-)
          priceman, 420 forever
          That the flaws of the current administration cannot be discussed because "the Republicans are worse".

We need to discuss more than who is the greater of two evils and who is the lesser of two evils ... we also need to discuss what genuinely good policy would be.

Support Lesbian Creative Works with Yuri anime and manga from ALC Publishing

by BruceMcF on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 02:32:13 PM PDT

•  I didn't say that the flaws of the current (0+ / 0-)

administration could not be discussed.

Yes, I have severe issues with the TONE and PHRASING used in the discussion- I believe there is a way to discuss these things that does not empower the Republicans- and most of the left isn't using it; but once again- the idea that I, or frankly anybody, ever claimed that the flaws of the current administration could not be discussed is a massive straw man.

For example, by all means less discuss what good policy would be- and who is taking baby steps down the path towards it, and who is running away from it at top speed.

by Whimsical on Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 05:39:36 PM PDT