View Diary: Talkin' 'Bout Religious Right Revolution (30 comments)

•  Catholics like McCloskey (6+ / 0-)

want a leaner, meaner, radically conservative Church. He has no interest in bringing lapsed & "cafeteria" Catholics back into the fold; he wants them gone & good riddance. His appeal to converts is that they will become part of an elite, insider group of Catholics. Of course, this appeals to anyone with affection for the totally authoritarian pre-Vatican II church where the clerical class reigned unchecked,  every parish priest a petty prince - some beloved, some feared -  who knew every "sin" of every parishioner & had the magical, intercessory  power to forgive (as average Catholics perceived it).

It is very disturbing to me that many Catholics have become comfortable with American fundamentalism, which flies in the face of  (& is an insult to)  Catholic reasoning & theology, not to mention the incomparable art & poetry the Church has given us.

"There ain't no sanity clause." Chico Marx

by DJ Rix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 02:15:38 PM PDT

•  that was very well put, DJR (5+ / 0-)
      Just as the TeaPartiers are the radical theocon right wing group of what is called the Republican Party, the current hierarchy has been infiltrated and is now controlled by an organization that makes the TeaPartiers look like flaming liberals: the Opus Dei.

To echo a related thought that FC expressed above, in order to understand anything that is going on with the rcxch today, it is fundamental (pardon the pun,) to understand all about Opus Dei and how they have hijacked the rich rc tradition.  Which, although it certainly had its sins, also had a lot of good.

Here is a good diary re. Opus Dei and the rcxch:
      Opus Dei: Neofascism Within the Catholic Church, by Ollie Garkey

I belong to the “US” of America, not the “ME,$,ME,$,ME,$” of America!

by SeaTurtle on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 02:56:05 PM PDT

•  These radical right Catholics (7+ / 0-)

also want us to believe the Church child abuse scandals are the result of liberal Vatican II policies. Nothing could be farther from the truth. What changed was our attitudes toward child abuse & the willingness of  courageous victims to break silence, come forward & expose it.   We have no way of knowing the full extent of child abuse in the "old" church, except that the houses of horror revealed in the Irish & European abuse scandals show us that this is no recent pattern of exploitation & tragedy; it was part of the secret  (& sometimes not so secret) Church culture dating back many decades  before Pope John XXIII, systematically hidden by  hierarchy, victims silenced by fear & shame.  The American Bishops thought they could go on hiding it forever.

"There ain't no sanity clause." Chico Marx

by DJ Rix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 03:25:44 PM PDT

•  Nothing new.... (6+ / 0-)

Many of the pre-Vatican II victims aren't around anymore.  My dad went to an all-boys Catholic high school and all the young men there knew which priests to keep clear of.  This would have been in the 30s-early 40s.

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 05:11:14 PM PDT

•  I don't know (2+ / 0-)
            luckylizard, SeaTurtle

what caused my Dad to abruptly walk away from the Church as a teenager, while he was still attending an elite Jesuit high school. He did graduate.  I never quite believed his story, although it was a funny one involving his own Dad skipping Mass to have breakfast at a diner. Perhaps it was the accumulated indignities of 12 years of parochial education,  his contempt for Catholic folk superstitions accepted as virtually doctrinal by laity, & his distrust of an autocratic institution. Like my three older siblings, I was baptized Catholic to allay my grandmother's fear of Limbo, but raised Methodist.

I had many friends attending a local  all boy Marist high school in the Sixties, &  they knew the priests & brothers with wandering eyes & hands, or especially sadistic tendencies, a small minority to be sure, but unchecked by the Order. Now that high school is coed with very few Marists on the faculty.

"There ain't no sanity clause." Chico Marx

by DJ Rix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 09:15:56 PM PDT

•  My dad left the Church, as well, (1+ / 0-)
              DJ Rix

but that was a whole different thing.

For some reason, I have remained.  I did take a few years off, but even then, I continued to play for funerals.  I was lucky to find a new parish home.  That came by way of a job offer.   I took the job with the stipulation that I didn't want to be evangelized.  If I came back, it was on my terms.  After some years, I'd become such a part of the family that it just seemed natural to have my name put on the rolls.

The parish is the right fit for me.  There have been hard times and disappointments, but I wouldn't trade the friends I've made for anything.  We carefully tend our "cloak of invisibility" in a poor area of town.  The diocese mostly leaves us alone.  The one big thing we have going for us is that the bishop loves to come there because the music is good.  I'll take some credit for that, but mostly it's because the parish LOVES to sing.  I may be the only Catholic musician who gets yelled at if they don't get to sing enough.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sat Jul 28, 2012 at 10:01:45 PM PDT

•  I always listen to the stories (1+ / 0-)
                luckylizard

of why Catholics stay & why Catholics leave. Sometimes the ones who leave are heartbroken.  Sometimes the ones who stay are surprising.  But like you they seem to find  a parish where they fit,  &  refuse to surrender their Church to fools. The fools come & go. Methodists are, or at least were, known  for spirited singing & huge repertoires of everything from camp meeting songs to  stately hymns.  When in doubt, sing. When I stepped into my first college religion course, it was like, theology? What the heck is theology?

"There ain't no sanity clause." Chico Marx

by DJ Rix on Sun Jul 29, 2012 at 02:22:03 AM PDT

•  Theology is the term they use (1+ / 0-)
                  DJ Rix

to justify its being a college course.  :-)

I've been playing the organ in church for over 50 years.  Did my first funeral (for a four-year-old) when I was in 8th grade.  Also, my first wedding.  It's along-established habit with me, but I'm also grateful for the employment.  I did sing in a Methodist choir in college and directed a Lutheran choir for two years afterward.  Almost any congregation was better at singing than Catholics.  We just hadn't been encouraged to do so prior to Vatican II.  I'm very lucky to have the congregation I have.  They're great friends and they make me look good.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sun Jul 29, 2012 at 03:00:56 AM PDT