View Diary: Romney got his book so wrong that Jared Diamond doubts he even read it (177 comments)

•  Excellent point - Romney is not a curious person, (15+ / 0-)

unless it involves a new scheme to shield financial assets.

•  That lack of curiosity (14+ / 0-)

is, in my opinion, smack-dab what is wrong with the Right these days. The level of gullibility it engenders makes for a large swath of people who are easy to manipulate with pure bullshit.

Yes, he’s smarter, richer, luckier and better looking than you, and he’s your president. Yours, mine and ours. And he’s black. Get over it. --Eugene Robinson

by Jennifer Clare on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 10:33:04 AM PDT

•  It is stunning - the long term trend (5+ / 0-)

It's "I know enough. I may not understand it but, don't tell me anymore."

There was a book IIRC - "The closing of the American mind" by Allan Bloom, which can be downloaded for free.

•  Bloom, though, was criticizing the left. (2+ / 0-)
          Occam was an optimist, grover

His condemnation of modern liberal arts education was seriously conservative/reactionary in outlook . . .

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 12:02:11 PM PDT

•  It's allowed - the left has lost the narrative on (1+ / 0-)
            WayBeyondSoccerMom

Education.

We need to all stand up and start explaining why a broad liberal arts education is not only IMPORTANT but NECESSARY to understand policy issues that people will be voting on for the rest of their lives.

Bloom may not be an advocate, but he did articulate the total waste that our "dumb it down" style of education is producing.

•  But his version of liberal arts education (1+ / 0-)
              Occam was an optimist

precludes what you want--he calls for a return to Classical studies in isolation from modern culture and policy. He thinks we've been "dumbing down" by teaching a curriculum that allows students to focus on topics that are relevant to their interests, as opposed to fascistically forcing everyone to learn from the same dead white male POV that he did.
              His attitude is that anything that gets taught that he didn't learn is not worth learning. Pompous, narrow-minded, and bigoted. We may be dumbing down, but it's not the subject matter that's causing it, it's the lack of intellectual rigor we apply to those subjects, if that. In any case, I think it is happening far earlier than at college, but since colleges are seen by the right as the last bastions of liberalism, they are an easy target. That he wrote so long ago means that he was simply one of the first to fire in that particular direction.

by bryduck on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 12:46:22 PM PDT

•  You are spot on - and I'll admit (0+ / 0-)

that I pulled the first title that came to mind from a long time ago.  You were right to call me out on that and made your point very well.

•  Btw, did you ever read the (0+ / 0-)

response book published? It was pretty interesting, I thought.

by bryduck on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 01:08:55 PM PDT

•  No, but thanks for the link. nt (1+ / 0-)
                    bryduck

I will check it out, and should probably also revisit Anti-Intellectualism in American Life.

I've never been really frightened about a theocratic takeover of government, that is until the past year and a half.  I'm appalled to witness the rising power the religious right in local politics.

OT I was gobsmacked when I learned that Ron Paul doesn't believe in evolution.  WTF?  He's educated and has some very thoughtful independent principles.  How could he espouse intelligent design?  Religious delusion is very poweful.

•  Ron Paul's ideology is so whack (1+ / 0-)
                      Occam was an optimist

it is simply funny. Until you remember that he is a freaking Congressman and that his son is a freaking Senator, for Jebus's sake. Then it is just sad and scary.
                      The religious right is in no danger of taking over our government--they've never really been in control of anything; they are the tools of the rich neo-con wing of the Republican party. Only the SC has ever given them any love on their favorite hobby horses. When Rs controlled everything, did they ever pass any significant legislation gutting abortion, for example? No.
                      Local politics is a different matter, but at least the damage they can do is, well, localized and most likely transient. Not to downplay its potential for pain, but it wouldn't take as much to undo that very real harm as it would if they really did control the country entirely.

by bryduck on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 01:37:21 PM PDT

•  And even then he claims that the decisions... (4+ / 0-)

... are made by the blind trust.  Talk about a charmed life - the only things he is probably truly responsible for are chewing, crapping, and sleeping.  His staff does everything else.

I haven't been here long enough to be considered a Kossack, does that mean that I'm just a sack?

by Hey338Too on Thu Aug 02, 2012 at 10:37:42 AM PDT

•   And "blind trust" is really what the religious (3+ / 0-)

right are taught about their "faith."  E.g. God is all powerful, all knowing, and all loving, and God has a plan (that you can't know about in advance).

God didn't mean for man to understand some things, blah, blah, blah.

Mitt's campaign is basically a cult of personality -

"Trust me." - I paid all my taxes.
        "Trust me." - I didn't know anything about that.
        "Trust me." - I didn't do it.
        "Trust me." - I didn't say it.
        Ad infinitum

•  Ah, he has well educated minions to do THAT (0+ / 0-)

for him too. He just signs off on them.

I really think he's overrated on all fronts.