View Diary: Bamford: Holmes Would Have Been Under Surveillance Before Killings If He “Had A Muslim Name" (83 comments)

•  So Your Point (2+ / 0-)
    gooderservice, triv33

is to point out you are smarter than bobswern??

or are you seriously interested in resolving this problem?

"A civilization which does not provide young people with a way to earn a living is pretty poor". Eleanor Roosevelt

by Superpole on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 05:19:11 AM PDT

•  No I am not (7+ / 1-)
      or are you seriously interested in resolving this problem?
      If you can get a law passed, which alerts the ATF when large amounts of ammo are purchased, I'm all for it.

But if the solution involves bringing intelligence assets and some sort of predictive modeling against American citizens, I would rather live with  shooting spree here and there.

There are governments, who embrace these solutions, but I doubt you want to live under one.  Hunting down any odd behavior imposes a justification of normality, which scares the hell out of me.

•  How is this worthy of an HR? Uprated to counter HR (3+ / 0-)
        PeterHug, Joieau, happy camper
      •  WTF is with the HR?? nt (3+ / 0-)
        PeterHug, Joieau, happy camper
        •  Probably (2+ / 0-)
          LaEscapee, triv33

The endorsement of a "shooting spree here and there".  Advocating violence is HRable.

I actually agree with the principle behind the op, but after the events of the last couple of weeks, I don't think people are very tolerant of this type of rhetoric.

‎"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." --Frederick Douglass

by Nada Lemming on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 07:28:23 PM PDT

•  Uprate a shooting spree (1+ / 0-)
            triv33

woohoo welcome to the new DK and the inhabitants that preside within.

pfft

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 08:18:41 PM PDT

•  Give me a break. This is not "endorsing" a (0+ / 0-)

shooting spree now and then.  It's saying that if the only alternative is to live in a surveillance state, that alternative is NOT acceptable.

I've said on occasion that if the only way we can be totally safe from terrorist attacks is to give up our civil liberties, they we have to endure the casualties of the attacks we can't avoid.  Because giving up our civil liberties is just not acceptable.

Same thing.  Do you seriously think that means I want terrorists attacks, or endorse them?  It means I want the US to remain a democracy.  That's all.  Same for this commenter.

Another uprate, to counter HR abuse.

--------------------- “These are troubling times. Corporation are treated like people. People are treated like things. …And if we ever needed to vote, we sure do need to vote now.” -- Rev. Dr. William J. Barber

by Fiona West on Tue Aug 07, 2012 at 08:58:26 AM PDT

•  You didn't read my response (0+ / 0-)

Did you?  I endorsed the idea, but I certainly understand why people are touchy. Have some empathy.

by Nada Lemming on Thu Aug 09, 2012 at 10:58:26 AM PDT

•  Recc'd to offset HR abuse. n/t (2+ / 0-)
        PeterHug, happy camper
      •  Sorry to break it to you (4+ / 0-)

but we do live under a government that not only knows who talks about large caches of weapons and ammo but monitors every word uttered. They do profiling daily. It wouldn't surprise me at all that when I mentioned the fact it wasn't flagged. Your and my DHS have made an industry of tracking what we say, when we say it,where we say it and who we might say it to.

Stupid story about the Olympics, notice where they came from, they perfected the art not on their own but with the help of our "friends".

Big Bro

‘The contradiction that we wanted to remove was between civil liberties and fighting terrorism,’ a Palantir co-founder said of his creation.

And what a creation it is. The software processes large quantities of information from an almost endless range of data, including surveillance images, drone footage, electronic communications and health records.

The CIA, the FBI, and the Department of Homeland Security are but a few of the software’s biggest fans. In the USA at least, Palantir is being touted as a powerful tool in tackling scourges from terrestrial terrorism, drug trafficking and cyber hacking.

They know, they don't care unless you threaten the status quo.

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 05:06:22 PM PDT

•  I just re-read your post (5+ / 0-)

That's a slippery slope on which you are treading. Wouldn't the correct response be that we demand accountability AND civil liberties protections? Why now should that be to much to ask?

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 05:20:32 PM PDT

•  are you kidding? (5+ / 0-)

we do live under one, they just aren't all that worried about ammo. Try going online and ordering a large amount of hydroponic equipment~

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 at 05:56:02 PM PDT

• Recommended (165)
  • Community (76)
  • 2016 (49)
  • Environment (48)
  • Elections (46)
  • Bernie Sanders (42)
  • Culture (41)
  • Republicans (40)
  • Hillary Clinton (34)
  • Climate Change (33)
  • Media (33)
  • Education (32)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (29)
  • Labor (28)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Congress (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Spam (24)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site