View Diary: Vote for Romney or we'll raise our prices. (243 comments)

•  Yep (0+ / 0-)

But I have to make decisions on how I live my life. Papa Johns supporting conservative causes alone is not enough for me to protest them. Show me situations where they're supporting human rights violations and we're talking, but I can't only do business with those who agree with me because then I'd be doing business with the empty set of businesses, and that's no way to do business.

Interested in learning about math, probability, or Computer Science and their connections to the real world? Learn more at my site: http://www.learninglover.com, or visit me on Twitter: @MindAfterMath

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 06:31:53 AM PDT

•  I personally don't like being manipulated... (38+ / 0-)

lied to, threatened, and blackmailed all because this CEO doesn't want to help his employees and bonus, he gets a $250,000 tax break per year, under Mitt's tax plan.

You can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat their employees.  If Papa Johns is threatening, blackmailing and demanding customer vote a certain way, I can only imagine how horribly they treat their employees.

It's not that anyone is boycotting them solely because they support Mitt Romney.  It's the sleazy, underhanded, manipulative, pathologically lying way that he's doing it.  He is threating his customers with price increases, refusing to offer basic health care (which employees still have to pay the premiums for and would cost Papa Johns next to nothing to offer) to it's employees, and Papa John is blatently lying about the real reason he's supporting Mitt.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal political views, but personal views should be personal.  Forcing political views into your business and forcing your customers to choose sides is a lose-lose situation.

You patronizing a Papa Johns is only funding their actions further and reinforcing their bad behavior.

Facts are liberally bias

by SuzieQ4624 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 07:06:46 AM PDT

•  You are not where you eat (1+ / 0-)
        Americantrueandblue

I love when Jon Stewart agrees with me, but that was on his show last night. I understand what you say about where your money goes with PJs, but that's not the only place it goes. What about the community projects they support? What about the franchise owners who oppose the views of the head dawg? What about the actual employees of that neighborhood that depend on a day to day living at PJs? What about that community? Its easy to boycott PJs pizza because of this (and the assumption of how they treat their employees), but unlike some "progressive" businesses, PJ (as well as Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Wendys and other fast food places) have invested a lot of money into many urban communities. Maybe this was just them taking advantage of a good situation, but other businesses (ala progressive ones) didn't do this so for many people, that job delivering PJs Pizza is what saved their life. For some people in the community, that scholarship they got from the owner of the franchise is what got them through college.

Its cool the way that we can demonize individuals and businesses, but I just don't work that way. I mean that "Calvin's got a job" skit on the Chappelle show was funny, but there's a reason there's a disconnect between a lot of progressives and moderates.

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 07:28:49 AM PDT

•  None of your arguments that you listed really work (15+ / 0-)
          What about the community projects they support?
          I can take my $10-$15 for a pizza and donate it directly to a local community charity or buy pizza at a place that has values that I agree with and does the same thing.
          What about the franchise owners who oppose the views of the head dawg?
          What about them? They choose to buy into a franchise with someone whose views they oppose.
          This one is the worst. You sound like you are saying that we are supposed to eat at Papa John's just to keep their workers working. What if I didn't eat there anyway? Was I somehow hurting them?
          What about that community?

You mean the community that probably has a local pizza place? They would probably appreciate my business much more than the owner of Papa John's and will actually tell me so to my face.

Whose interest does ignorance serve? - Carl Sagan

by spgilbert on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:07:12 AM PDT

•  really? its that simple? (1+ / 0-)
            Americantrueandblue

You could donate your $10  directly, but then you're not getting the pizza. You could buy elsewhere, but then you're not getting the (at least not this particular) contribution. I wasn't meant to give an exhaustive list of every possible reason. These come to my mind and make me think that the issue is more complex. I'm not saying that any of these (or other) reasons are why YOU should support them. You're well within your right to do as you please. But I'm saying that for some, this issue is more complicated.

I mean, I buy gas, but I don't support the regimes that it comes from, nor the means that these corporations buy politicians and lobbyists. I buy gas because I have a job and I need to get to my job and its nearly impossible to do this without buying gas. I'm not equating Papa Johns with gasoline, but I am saying that (unlike your last assumption), some communities do depend on these places, as in they are the only businesses that have invested in that area. So no, in these places there is no mom and pop's pizza chain. That's the reality we're dealing with in many urban communities.

Like I said, I don't eat there for health reasons. But if I go to a conference and they're serving Papa Johns pizza, I'm not going to spout into a liberal dissertation on the health care rights of workers (and I'm definitely not going to do like the youtube guy did at CFA and start mouthing off on their employees about why its an evil corporation. I'm going to politely ask for something healthier and go about my day.

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:21:00 AM PDT

•  well, yeah...it really is that simple. (15+ / 0-)

There is no reason that I, or anybody, should support a business that they don't agree with. There are always other choices. Making one of those other choices doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is 'demonizing' that business.

Whose interest does ignorance serve? - Carl Sagan

by spgilbert on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:38:57 AM PDT

•  to me at least this is about a bigger issue (1+ / 0-)
                Americantrueandblue

this is bigger than Papa Johns or CFA. This is about how I treat churches because of LGBT and womens rights, how I treat police departments because of Black rights, how I treat organizations that try to find a cure for cancer, but are against abortion, how I treat schools that don't teach climate change or evolution, etc.

Its easy to say just don't support them. But what I'm saying is that this hurts us too because it separates us from the business (organization) and its customers (users). Some of these things are evil empires and should be boycotted, but the decision of whether or not I'm going to do that isn't just based on one part of a political agenda.

And this "if you're not with us, you're against us" type mentality type mentality only hurts us as nobody agrees with us on 100% of the issues.

But from my comments on this issue, people know my opinion and I'm already getting called names. I'll just leave this one alone because there's no point in talking if nobody's listening.

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:52:34 AM PDT

•  I think there may be some misunderstanding. (4+ / 0-)

A) I never called you names.
                  B) You don't support boycotting certain businesses. That's fine. All I was saying is that the reasons that you're giving are flawed.
                  C) 'there's no point in talking if nobody's listening.' Very classy. I was attempting to have an honest discussion with you, but since I don't agree with you, I'm not listening? Ok. No more responses from me either then.

Whose interest does ignorance serve? - Carl Sagan

by spgilbert on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:01:41 AM PDT

•  maybe (1+ / 0-)
                    Americantrueandblue

I just get tired of being called a troll for voicing a different opinion (not by you, but definitely in this diary). Looking at this page, its going around a lot (as if I need to post a diary and be a member for 40 years to show my stripes). I mean I'm all for an honest discussion, but I really feel like this site discourages differences in opinion.

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:18:56 AM PDT

•  Why (1+ / 0-)
                venger

do you keep insisting pizza is unhealthy. If you look at the ingredients, it, actually a pretty balanced meal.

•  Suggestions.... (8+ / 0-)

1) Stop being a troll

2) STFU

3) Your entire argument is idiotic and I highly doubt that Jon Stewart agrees with you about anything

4) Please cite one community project that Papa Johns funded, directly, for the sake of the community, with no alterior motives

5) Also please cite one community in the entire country that depends on Papa Johns as a source of income, all other businesses refuse to open stores there, that's the only business in town, the whole town works there, no one else pays taxes, etc.  You say "urban areas" - every urban (both actual urban and low-income) neighboorhood I've been to have many pizza places because it's cheap and easy - most chains won't open locations there because there is not enough business, it's almost exclusively mom and pop shops

6) No one is asking you to be a d-bag about not supporting PJ, by not eating there and not giving them your money, that's all you need to do.  No lecturing is required.

You're really overthinking this whole situation.  Like if Papa John came out in support of the KKK, I wouldn't give him my business because I don't want my money indirectly funding something that I don't agree with.  Per Citizens United - money is speech.  I have money, so I make it say want I want it to say.  Simple as that.  If Papa Johns doesn't want to lose business, they shouldn't be coming out in support of such a controversial group, nor should they be threating their customers to comply with their weird agenda.  Supporting a controversial or political cause is a risk, clearly John doesn't give a fuck what the consequences are, so why should I?  It's not my business.

Facts are liberally bias

by SuzieQ4624 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:43:59 AM PDT

•  thank you for your input. (1+ / 0-)
                Americantrueandblue

but I don't think saying STFU is a progressive way of acting.

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:20:21 AM PDT

•  STFU is not the first option (0+ / 0-)

But sometimes it's where we have to go.

We can explain and explain, but if they won't listen, we have to stop powerful people from hurting others.

Otherwise, we're not making progress.

Now, if you cannot understand why people do not want to spend their hard earned money supporting a complete asshat, and how that's not coercive speech, then what you need to do is STFU.

•  Wow, LEARNINGlover (3+ / 0-)

....so you're declaring your total lack of political principles?

"In politics, absurdity is not a handicap." (Napoleon Bonaparte)

by PBen on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:02:26 AM PDT

•  is that this is? (1+ / 0-)
            Americantrueandblue

Lack of political principles? If you say so. I just say that they are much more complicated than drawing a line in the sand and saying "anyone who crosses is out".

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:21:54 AM PDT

•  Actually you are where you eat (10+ / 0-)

...literally.

And I have no desire to purchase food from someone who could care less whether the people preparing my food have access to prompt and effective treatment for communicable diseases.

Yuck.

Newt Gingrich: Believes marriage is between one man and a series of ever younger women. Wife #1 born ~ 1936, divorced when in her mid-40s...Wife #2 born ~1947, divorced when in her mid-40s...Wife #3 born ~1966.

by trillian on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 10:13:35 AM PDT

•  lol (4+ / 0-)

When I read the second comment by them, I automatically checked the UID...and came to the same conclusion and then found your actual research

Aye Matey, it's blooming troll season :)

Barn's burnt down -- now I can see the moon. Masahide

by bws on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:49:56 AM PDT

•  thank you for your contribution (1+ / 0-)
          Americantrueandblue

nice to know your metrics for judging trolls (who are generally defined as people who post offensive material).

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 09:23:08 AM PDT

•  Pizza! (5+ / 0-)

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/...

Ingredients

2 tablespoons sugar
                1 tablespoon kosher salt*
                1 tablespoon pure olive oil
                3/4 cup warm water
                2 cups bread flour (for bread machines)
                1 teaspoon instant yeast
                2 teaspoons olive oil
                Olive oil, for the pizza crust
                Flour, for dusting the pizza peel

Toppings:

1 1/2 ounces pizza sauce
                1/2 teaspoon each chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, red pepper flakes, for example
                A combination of 3 grated cheeses such as mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and provolone

Directions

Place the sugar, salt, olive oil, water, 1 cup of flour, yeast, and remaining cup of flour into a standing mixer's work bowl. Using the paddle attachment, start the mixer on low and mix until the dough just comes together, forming a ball. Lube the hook attachment with cooking spray. Attach the hook to the mixer and knead for 15 minutes on medium speed.

Tear off a small piece of dough and flatten into a disc. Stretch the dough until thin. Hold it up to the light and look to see if the baker's windowpane, or taut membrane, has formed. If the dough tears before it forms, knead the dough for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

Roll the pizza dough into a smooth ball on the countertop. Place into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the bowl and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.

Place the pizza stone or tile onto the bottom of a cold oven and turn the oven to its highest temperature, about 500 degrees F. If the oven has coils on the oven floor, place the tile onto the lowest rack of the oven. Split the pizza dough into 2 equal parts using a knife or a dough scraper. Flatten into a disk onto the countertop and then fold the dough into a ball.

Wet hands barely with water and rub them onto the countertop to dampen the surface. Roll the dough on the surface until it tightens. Cover one ball with a tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.

Repeat the steps with the other piece of dough. If not baking the remaining pizza immediately, spray the inside of a ziptop bag with cooking spray and place the dough ball into the bag. Refrigerate for up to 6 days.

Sprinkle the flour onto the peel and place the dough onto the peel. Using your hands, form a lip around the edges of the pizza. Stretch the dough into a round disc, rotating after each stretch. Toss the dough in the air if you dare. Shake the pizza on the peel to be sure that it will slide onto the pizza stone or tile. (Dress and bake the pizza immediately for a crisp crust or rest the dough for 30 minutes if you want a chewy texture.)

Brush the rim of the pizza with olive oil. Spread the pizza sauce evenly onto the pizza. Sprinkle the herbs onto the pizza and top with the cheese.

Slide the pizza onto the tile and bake for 7 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Rest for 3 minutes before slicing.

*This recipe's been on the web for some time now and although most of the reactions have been darned positive, some of you have commented that the dough was way too salty. At first we chalked this up to personal preference; some folks are just not as sensitive as others to this basic flavor. And of course salty toppings would definitley change the dynamic. Still, we didn't want to leave it at that. We went back to the lab and found that the flake size of kosher salt differs quite a bit from brand to brand. This could easily result in a too salty crust. So unless you've had success with the recipe in the past, we suggest you cut the salt by one teaspoon, from a tablespoon to two teaspoons. So that the yeast doesn't go crazy, you should also cut back on the sugar by half a teaspoon. Thanks, AB

•  Excellent! (2+ / 0-)
              Dirtandiron, radical simplicity

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

by maybeeso in michigan on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 11:59:28 AM PDT

•  If (0+ / 0-)

If you can keep your head when all about you
              are losing theirs and blaming it on you
              If you can trust yourself when all (wo)men doubt you,
              but make allowance for their doubting too
              If you can wait, and not be tired by waiting,
              or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
              Or being hated, don't give way to hatred
              and yet don't look too good nor talk too wise.

If you can dream and not make dreams your master
              If you an think and not make thoughts your aim
              If you can meet with triumph and disaster
              and treat those two impostors just the same.
              If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
              twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools
              Or watch the things you gave your life to broken
              and stoop and build em up with worn out tools

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
              and risk it all on one turn of pitch and toss
              And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              and never breath a word about your losses
              If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
              to serve their cause long after they are gone
              And so hold on to them when there is nothing left
              except for the will which says to them hold on

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue
              or walk with kings nor lose the common touch
              If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you
              If all (wo)men count with you, but none too much
              If you can fill the unforgiving minute
              with sixty seconds worth of distance run
              Yours is the earth and all that is in it
              And what is more, you'll be a (wo)man my son child.

Rudyard Kipling

by LEARNINGlover on Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 07:10:10 PM PDT

•  well stated, suzieq (0+ / 0-)

I couldn't agree with you more.