View Diary: Book review: Is Obama’s America different from 'real America'? (113 comments)

•  Right Here (8+ / 0-)

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 06:30:39 AM PDT

•  I'm Looking Forward (8+ / 0-)

To cracking it open at the gym today, because I expect the next few months to be a very interesting time in terms of how the voting public (and the media) processes and responds to messages about multiculturalism that come from the campaigns. I'm also interested in reading it in the context of the coming demographic revolution -- we're about to become a country with a strong Latin American flavor.

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 06:36:44 AM PDT

•  Very interesting. (5+ / 0-)
        bink, Amber6541, assyrian64, TomP, remembrance

Those coming demographic changes are what makes it so imperative that "Obama's America," that vision, gains widespread acceptance far beyond actual Obama supporters. It doesn't have to be associated with his name of course.

•  Agreed (6+ / 0-)

I am naively hoping that this demographic shift will result in some well-needed changes in our government and society.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws. But a large, empowered and enfranchised population of new immigrants, voting and acting in their own interests -- not to mention the public interest -- could really bring about great change in civil rights, labor rights, etc., etc.

I had thought that there would be a huge fight between the GOP and the Dems to reach this population. But it doesn't look like the Republicans are even interested. It's a real mystery.

But this is an interesting question in itself:

How does the empowerment and enfranchisement of minority ethnic/racial/immigrant groups result in political change? How does it inspire reactionary policy from the right? How do these things change policy as well as national identity?

"I'll believe that corporations are people when I see Rick Perry execute one."

by bink on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 06:49:41 AM PDT

•  Those are three huge questions! (4+ / 0-)
            Amber6541, Mary Mike, TomP, remembrance

I think the changes we want to see are happening, but they are going slowly and fitfully. I'm not a policy expert, so I can't give a great answer there. Politicians react to votes, but also some of them move voters (I think Obama, on national identity, developed his ideas first, as seen is his early writings).

•  Your naive hope is correct, except that it takes (2+ / 0-)
            adrianrf, Ian Reifowitz

decades for such shifts to play out. However, the current Republicans have decided that only The Base counts, and they can freely antagonize, vilify, and set out to injure everybody else, in no particular order, or in fact simultaneously.

Much of the Base is no longer motivated by winning elections, but by purity in defending what it takes to be its narrow, selfish, fearful interests against all comers, no matter the cost. As the Religious Right sees it, the fight is between establishing a Christian US once and for all, and yielding to the Antichrist, who will bring on Armageddon, with the consequences of the Rapture, the Tribulation, the Second Coming, the Resurrection, and the Thousand-Year Reign of Christ on Earth.

I am not personally clear why they are so set against this, but I take them at their word on it.

Hey, Mitt! Thanks for ObamneyCare. http://www.healthcare.gov

by Mokurai on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 10:50:33 AM PDT

•  The demographic shifts are much more extensive (2+ / 0-)
        adrianrf, Ian Reifowitz

It is not only our changing ethnic and religious mix, but the fact that young people have to a considerable extent absorbed the new realities, and are falling away from racism, the Religious Right, and other ills. As their hidebound elders die off, there is a shift of 1-2% annually in the opinion polls on various issues in various regions.

We have reached the tipping point on LGBT rights. Almost everyone in the GOP and the Tea Parties knows that overt racism is off limits, although most see no problem with Dog Whistles. The Klan now gets laughed at, even in Mississippi, when it tries to stage a rally. The Southern Baptist Convention officially renounced racism and started recruiting minorities, and just recently elected its first Black President, although it also had to drop the hammer at the same time on a high-level official who made racist remarks. Not everyone has gotten or read or accepted the memo.

The Republican Party seems to be in the middle of the kind of slow-rolling implosion that was the fate of the Federalists, the original Party of No in the Jefferson Administrations, 1801-1809. They won their last state-level election in 1815. The result was a period of one-party rule known as The Era of Good Feeling. We can hope for another.

Hey, Mitt! Thanks for ObamneyCare. http://www.healthcare.gov

by Mokurai on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 10:41:40 AM PDT

•  Thanks, just got it! (4+ / 0-)

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. --attributed to Mark Twain

by SottoVoce on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 06:42:04 AM PDT