View Diary: Ryan's Hero, Ayn Rand, Worshiped A Serial Killing Psychopath! (42 comments)

•   I have sincere doubts that (2+ / 0-)

once a person has reached the diagnosis stage, any treatment will be much more than control and monitoring.

The probability for me is that infancy and childhood experiences can block or change the essential trust development of the first year. The next question is whether it happens uniformly or if some other factor helps the individual regain the capacity to trust other humans.

Many other possibilities as well. This is a big reason for increasing our neuroscience and psychiatric research for diagnosis, causation and treatment, plus a health care system that funds mental health as well as any of the deadly diseases.

One of the Star Trek original episodes was of the Enterprise going to a planet where the few people whose psychiatric problems had not been able to be treated were sent. Don't remember the specifics of the prisoner featured. I should go back and see if it was classic sociopath. I just vaguely remember raving lunatic.  ;)

by Ginny in CO on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 12:30:35 PM PDT

•  Well said this below. So agree. (1+ / 0-)
      Ginny in CO
      I would like to see that episode of Star Trek very much. I wonder if there is a way to do that within my reach.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 01:17:00 PM PDT

•  Google and find You Tube sites, plus the (1+ / 0-)
        CherryTheTart

main website. I'd bet it is free somewhere. (I'm trying to get more of my to do list done and not concentrating as ususal.)

by Ginny in CO on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 02:16:08 PM PDT

•  There is no treatment, in my current understanding (1+ / 0-)
      Ginny in CO

It is a fundamental developmental lack, and internal emptiness, and once the critical period for development of empathy is past, so is the opportunity.

There is a very, very slight chance that someone would be forced into a situation where all avenues of avoidance and denial were cut off, and forced to face their inner emptiness. This again, is rare and extremely painful, so is avoided at all costs.

Again, those in prison, who've hit bottom w/drugs or alcohol, or who have had to actually deal with the horrific consequences of their actions, personally, are the ones who can start to change. But it would take a great deal of time and emotional pain.

And on the contrary, we are currently rewarding the economic monsters in our midst with not only money, but rock star adulation and status, no matter what their crimes. They see this as confirmation of their right to do whatever they want, and will continue until the world is a ruined wasteland, because they just don't care.

Life is a school, love is the lesson.

by means are the ends on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 01:23:57 PM PDT

•  I was unclear: there is treatment of some kind (1+ / 0-)
        Ginny in CO

for low-functioning sociopaths, which can socialize them a bit if they are motivated to keep out of trouble.

But  the high-functioning sociopath typically is able to use intelligence and charm to avoid consequences of their behavior. Thus, they do not perceive themselves as having any problem, but see all problems as external to themselves. Thus, they have absolutely no motivation for treatment, or to change. On the contrary, if necessary, they can be quite good at faking contrition and 'change' if necessary, and then go back to whatever they deem will work for them in the current situation.

Life is a school, love is the lesson.

by means are the ends on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 01:33:48 PM PDT

•  Right, low functioning are sometimes (1+ / 0-)
        means are the ends

helped with group situations - if they aren't in prison. I think the European countries have been better at putting them in mental institutions, as long as they haven't committed a crime.

We have come a long way in identifying neurological differences with functional mental imaging. I saw one this week that was well received in psych/neuroscience circles about a significant difference in hoarders brains that differentiates them from OCD where they were a sub classification.

Prevention is always far better than treatment, especially when treatment is so difficult and barely effective, if at all.

This is the biggest barrier. I've seen it with my Dad all my life. He is far from a true sociopath and still does not accept that his relationships and interpersonal relationship problems are as much him as the other people. I attribute it to his being not quite 4 when his Dad died suddenly. His mother was somewhat reserved, not to the extreme he is.

Eventually we will figure out that the better we treat children, from conception on, the fewer mixed up, violent ones we will have.

by Ginny in CO on Sun Aug 12, 2012 at 02:32:49 PM PDT