View Diary: Know your haters: The Values Voter Summit dancecard (212 comments)

•  I continue to be amazed (16+ / 0-)

at how many truly sad, gullible, empty and angry people there are who fall for this crap, no different from QVC addicts and poor people who spend large portions of their paychecks on booze and lottery tickets, but with more hate. These flim flammers are taking these marks for all they've got. The GOP is one huge con outfit. If there was justice, they'd all be in jail--or Gitmo.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:24:21 AM PDT

•  i know why lottery ticket buyeres buy them (3+ / 0-)
      mdmslle, Aunt Pat, high uintas

they have hope for a few days. there is no hope they can get ahead by their own work anymore. and no hope for their kids. please dont put them in the same category as alcoholism- which is a disease by the way.

these are sad times

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:30:28 AM PDT

•  Hopelessness is a disease too (1+ / 0-)
        Aunt Pat

I.e. depression. People who do these things are self-medicating.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:44:59 AM PDT

•  well for some, it IS an addiction just like (2+ / 0-)
        BoiseBlue, jds1978

alcoholism.

Gambling is an addiction. But your point is taken about the lottery being a source of hope for people who don't believe there's any other way to get ahead in life.

But I've also seen people play lottery every day for years. No matter whether they win or lose. My 83 year old dad is one of them and he has NO REASON to play other than it's an addiction. He owns a home, he's healthy, he's got decent income for an old guy being that he's retired USPS and gets a benefit from my deceased mom who was retired federal government. PLUS his current wife's social security.

But he plays the fucking lottery every damned day. I've seen him win big money (by that I mean ~$10K) maybe once in four decades.

It's an addiction as well for tons of folks.

For the record, I am not a member of Courtesy Kos. Just so you know. Don't be stupid. It's election season. My patience is short.

by mdmslle on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:59:30 AM PDT

•  i know gambling can be an addiction (1+ / 0-)
          mdmslle

but i also why people do it. desperation does things to people

"It's never too late to be who you might have been." -George Eliot

by live1 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 07:12:14 AM PDT

•  Yep. I used to work at a convenience store (4+ / 0-)
          kovie, jds1978, orlbucfan, mdmslle

And most people play the lottery for entertainment purposes but for some it was an addiction. There was one lady who was on disability and lived in government housing who would drop ten to twenty bucks a day on lottery. She'd come back in with her winning tickets and lecture people that she never bought tickets without winning.

And it was true to an extent- she'd spend thirty dollars and win five or ten back.

We all dreaded it when we'd see her walk towards the store. She was one of those people who would spend ten minutes picking and choosing her tickets. The lines would get long behind her and everyone would start getting pissed off and impatient and she was totally oblivious. If there was no one around to work the second till we'd have to tell her that she would have to wait until the store cleared out before we could help her.

One day she did pick a big winner and won a brand new Ford Mustang. For about six months she quit playing the lotto because "winning" the car ended up being quite expensive, not to mention keeping it insured and gassed up. We were thrilled to see her out cleaning the car every day rather than coming in to buy tickets.

Then she had to sell the car because she couldn't afford it and went right back to playing the lotto.

That is an addiction, and although I'm sure I sound like I'm lecturing or looked down upon this woman, I was more exasperated that she could not see what she was doing to herself all in order to "win the big one."

That being said, it is fun to play the lotto on occasion. I buy a ticket every once in a while, maybe three or four times a year. It is fun to daydream about being millionaire.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 07:27:13 AM PDT

•  I'll buy a mega-millions when the pot (3+ / 0-)
            BoiseBlue, mdmslle, KnotIookin

goes north of $100M. I figure I have the same chance of winning as anytime, but at least for my wasted dollar, I have a chance to really win big.

You're not being "oppressed" when another group gains rights you've always enjoyed.

by Scott Wooledge on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 08:14:51 AM PDT

•  I used to get dragged to conventions in Las Vegas (0+ / 0-)

a couple times a year, and every once in a while I'd see an elderly person -- clearly not a tourist -- feeding what was probably their monthly SS check down the mouth of a slot machine one silver dollar at a time.

The look on their face wasn't one of casual indifference, it was carved of absolute despair - the type you see on a Twilight Zone episode as the unlucky schmo drops their last two bucks on a third place pony.

On the other hand, if they weren't feeding it to a slot machine they'd probably be forking it over to some televangelist in the hopes of getting a similar reward.

They'll do better in Vegas.

"Half of writing history is hiding the truth. " -- Cap'n. Malcolm Reynolds

by here4tehbeer on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 11:16:53 PM PDT

•  Lottery tickets have entertainment value. (4+ / 0-)

I suppose the Values Voters Summit would be entertaining for the right kind of person.

Mitt Romney '12: Berlusconi without the sex and alcohol!

by Rich in PA on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:33:44 AM PDT

•  True (8+ / 0-)

Talk about the nutcase Jackpot--Glenn Beck? Michelle Bachman? Alan West? Steve King? Ollie North (seriously? Ollie Frigging North?).

Man, I would purely love to be there. I could absorb enough batshit crazy to last me several lifetimes.

I can't help thinking, though, that the whole thing smacks of desperation.

Who the hell is going to pay $99 to listen to Rick Frothy Matter or Jim DeMint? Swing voters? Hardly.

Nobody but a Tea Bagging mouth-breather would pay good money to hear this cavalcade of crazy, this nexus of nincompoops, this axis of assholes.

The crowd that go for this sort of hate-fest don't need to get 'enthused'...their bile turned inflammable a long time ago.

I mean, God knows the Rethugs can't need the money.

All kind of pointless, doncher think?

•  affirmation has its price. (5+ / 0-)

I guess it's attractive to have all their idols in the same place affirming that their views are OK, no, righteous!

I can't say I'd spend $99 to be in the room with 15 progressive giants, though, preaching the "progressive view" on every topic. Just doesn't make sense to me or matter to me all that much. Why would I pay $99, for example, to listen to Liz Warren talk about the importance of unions or the need for a strong middle class? I love her but...why?

It's a weird thing. Wingnuts are weird.

by mdmslle on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 07:05:03 AM PDT

•  You nailed it--affirmation (2+ / 0-)
          Retroactive Genius, mdmslle

The people who pay for and attend these Lollapalosers are, as I wrote above, sad, gullible, empty and angry people who, as you astutely add, need affirmation for a way of and outlook on life that they surely, on some level, question, or else why would they need such affirmation? They must worry deep down that maybe theirs isn't the only let alone best or right view, and so are always looking for ways to avoid looking into that abyss. Damn those round-earthers and their arugula!

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 07:30:26 AM PDT

•  The only reason for getting a group (1+ / 0-)
          Leap Year

of true believers of any stripe together is to energize them to go out and spread the word..  I'm sure in this case there will be lots of imploring the faithful to canvas for Republican candidates, to work phone banks and get people to the polls in November.

We sane people better be more effective at these activities than they are, or we'll lose - revival meeting of the faithful notwithstanding.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 08:59:54 AM PDT

•  Its a marathon not a sprint. These fuckers ain't (0+ / 0-)

Doing none of it once they get away from the afterglow. Bless their hearts.

Meanwhile, our side's been quietly on the ground for nigh non a year now.

by mdmslle on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 11:50:21 AM PDT