View Diary: Florida plans to keep purging voters (54 comments)

•  Registering to vote (1+ / 0-)
    ZedMont

I am not sure how Florida handles people coming in to register to vote, but where I live, you have to prove who you are and that you're an American citizen.  I don't think that this is about registering to vote.  This is about purging people already registered.

Are you advocating allowing anyone that can walk in to the office that registers people to vote to do so without any proof of citizenship or anything?

I don't think that's what you're saying...at least, I hope not.

The truth is sometimes very inconvenient.

by commonsensically on Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 02:46:55 PM PDT

•  Oh no, of course not. (0+ / 0-)

Actually, I had a British friend who was here for years illegally and he voted regularly. Not sure how he did it, but I don't think it did any great harm to the electoral process. After all, he did live here and had an interest in what went on in his community. I think, in Australia and some other countries, permanent residents can vote in local elections.

The universe may have a meaning and a purpose, but it may just specifically not include you.

by Anne Elk on Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 03:15:39 PM PDT

•  So.... (0+ / 0-)

You're fine with non-citizens voting in American elections then?

Really?  I mean, the criteria should not be citizenship...just "an interest in what went on in the community?

Wonderful.

The truth is sometimes very inconvenient.

by commonsensically on Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 03:31:18 PM PDT

•  Well, if you are a "permanent" resident, (0+ / 0-)

why not? I think Americans would feel a little uncomfortable for that to happen in national elections. But voting for mayor of your town? Sure!

by Anne Elk on Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 04:25:46 PM PDT

•  There should be no distinction (0+ / 0-)

You're either a legal citizen, or you're not.  You have the right to vote being a legal citizen or you don't being a non-citizen...I don't care if it's for dog catcher.

Going down the path you're presenting is wrong-headed, IMO.

The truth is sometimes very inconvenient.

by commonsensically on Wed Aug 15, 2012 at 04:54:01 PM PDT

•  Don't they require a long-form birth certificate? (0+ / 0-)

And college transcripts? And...

Purging predominantly minority voters and requiring them to present IDs to vote in the face of VIRTUALLY NON-EXISTENT VOTER FRAUD is RACISM! I hereby declare all consenting Republicans RACISTS until they stand up and object to these practices!

by Words In Action on Thu Aug 16, 2012 at 08:17:32 AM PDT