View Diary: Obama campaign to Romney: Release just five years of returns (updated 2X) (315 comments)

•  1. That is an assumption of where issues lie (2+ / 0-)
    themis, WheninRome

Stock market crashed in 2000 as well and Romney wasn't making as much income.

2.   I am also interested in the Bain situation and he tax treatment during the departure.

3.  Your point makes Romneys.  It looks like fishing as opposed to a call for transparency.

4.   Who gave the Obama campaign the right to negotiate on our behalf.  We are the ones voting.

Dumb dumb dumb move. Too cute by half.

"But once John Boehner is sworn in as Speaker, then he’s going to have responsibilities to govern. You can’t just stand on the sidelines and be a bomb thrower." - President Obama, 12-07-2010

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 05:45:19 AM PDT

•  Obama is not negotiating on your behalf ... (23+ / 0-)
      So I am prepared to provide assurances on just that point: if the Governor will release five years of returns, I commit in turn that we will not criticize him for not releasing more--neither in ads nor in other public communications or commentary for the rest of the campaign.
      Note the first person singular in the assurance above? Obama is talking for himself and his campaign.

You can feel free to run ads criticizing Mitt to your heart's satisfaction.

•  Exactly. (11+ / 0-)

The messaging in that letter is pitch perfect.

They won't criticize him for not releasing more years (although the criticism is itself present in the letter by referencing old George) - but it certainly doesn't say they won't criticize what's in those returns if they're ever released.

I don't think it's fishing at all and leads me to believe the Obama campaign knows exactly what's in them.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy... the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

by lcbo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:34:57 AM PDT

•  Good luck with that...does that even sound (0+ / 0-)

reasonable?

Are you saying the campaign is trying to snooker the Ryan (Hey we won't bring up, but we can't speak for the rest of the world).

Talk to me in 2016 when someone throws this "offer" back in the American people's face.

If as you say, this is just for the Obama campaign to evaluate (first person singular), then you are giving credence to the idea that this is a fishing expedition.  That is a piss poor political strategy.  And it will turn off voters more than help.

They were doing so well, and I think this is going to backfire, tremendously.

But hey, I hope I am 100% wrong.

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:37:00 AM PDT

•  it's really tiresome to have Democrats (24+ / 0-)

constantly complaining about how "dumb dumb dumb" the Obama campaign is.  For my part, I trust these people.  After all, they succeeded in navigating an unknown, untested, young black candidate with an African father whose middle name was Hussein to win the nomination over the formidable Clinton machine, and then on to victory over a war "hero" whom everyone in the country knew.  They've got Romney's people playing defense before the conventions, despite mountains of dirty cash at their disposal.  They seem to be pretty shrewd to my eyes.

People have underestimated Barack Obama from the very start; no one more so than fellow Democrats.  While he's been a disappointment in some areas as a President (which is why we should be working like beavers to get him a Democratic Congress), as a candidate he's as skillful as they come.  And that is part and parcel of the people who are running the campaign.

“Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it” ― Václav Havel

by SottoVoce on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:11:10 AM PDT

•  And the other thing that people always forget (10+ / 0-)

You don't make people like you by being disagreeable. Or acting like a spoiled, stubborn, brat.

You make people like you by making reasonable compromises, and respecting your opponent. OTHERS might trash him on your behalf, but YOU don't.

You also show that you care about the people you're going to represent, and the ones who have to vote for you. They have to feel that you're on THEIR side.

Obama has always been the soul of reasonable compromise. Always. He's always pleasant, he doesn't pout when he loses, and he's respectful (openly respectful, though there are some subtle digs).

He also seems to genuinely like people. Not just rich people, or smart people, or even the people who voted for him. ALL people.

That's why most people like him.

That's a huge part of the reason he wins.

•  it's been interesting to watch Romney (7+ / 0-)

during this campaign.  He's thin skinned and easily riled, in large part because he is unused to being challenged, and not deeply committed to his positions.  His mean streak doesn't lie far beneath the surface.  It's clear he has a sense of entitlement and a belief in his own innate superiority, as if that should insulate him from attack.
          We get none of this from Obama; he's incredibly calm and unrattled by criticism, even outright lies that would drive a less composed person to outrage.  Throughout his Presidency, I've been astonished by his ability to weather the racism, hatred, personal affronts, false accusations and perpetual needling he takes, without feeling the need to fight back.  This has caused much consternation on the left; we're always demanding that he retaliate.  But he plays a long game, has tremendous self-confidence, believes in what he's saying and doing, and these things enable him to weather the attacks.
          Comparing these two men's responses to challenges is one of the reasons Obama is ahead in the race.

by SottoVoce on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:31:45 AM PDT

•  Grand Bargain, ACA, Financial Reform, Bush Tax (0+ / 0-)

Cut extension, offshore drilling...heck, waiver for welfare to Republican Gov...

When is our side going to get the fact that the appearance of reasonableness should never, EVER, be the guide to political strategy in the climate.   Now, you should wrap your messaging and policies in looking reasonable, but you should never negotiate with yourself just to look reasonable.  It fails over and over and over again.

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:45:12 AM PDT

•  Fails how? (2+ / 0-)
            elmo, askew

I really don't understand that.

Getting SOMETHING is better than getting NOTHING. You can build on something, you can't build on NOTHING.

And without a lot of compromise, NOTHING is exactly what we would have gotten.

•  you can get something without negotiating (0+ / 0-)

with yourself...that is my point...we have to stop thinking that just by giving a little bit more, the other side will fall in line.  They won't.

We are winning.  Because we are making a stark partisan choices clear.  Now is not the time to revert back to old form.

I know some think today's letter was a strong move.  I disagree.  And I am willing to debate the move.  But the one thing I feel strongly about is the idea that inching closer and closer to Republican policies somehow helps the liberal cause long term.  It doesn't.  It undermines it.

This was a minor item overall.  But it was more similar to old form to new, and I would be horrified if that happened.

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 10:43:25 AM PDT

•  americans always want to vote for the winner. (0+ / 0-)
      •  Here we go with the "I trust them" nonsense (0+ / 0-)

They are not above criticism.  I applaud them when they do well.  I criticize when they don't.  And quite frankly, my track record is a heck of a lot better than the Administrations in predicting political impacts.

The campaign is actually pretty good.  But this came from Messina, the same guy that absolutely failed in ACA politics, so he is not worthy of my trust...not in the least.

If you want to just sit back and assume they every step they take is perfect, that is your right, but we all don't have to make the same assumption.

The funniest part is they are now on the record saying how they made big mistakes in the early admin, and as recently as the grand bargain negotiations.  Part of the problem was a lack of criticism from our side, to offset the insanity of the other side.  Lack of criticism can be just as bad if not worse than actual criticism.  Granted, this is done, but I stand by my opinion of this move.

Extremely short term thinking....extreme.

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:42:36 AM PDT

•  wow. (0+ / 0-)
          Clearly, they need your expertise.  You should apply for a job with the campaign. Let them know how much they need you.

No false modesty for you.

by SottoVoce on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:49:00 AM PDT

•  Check my diary record...it is all there... (0+ / 0-)

I wouldn't have said it if it were not true...has nothing to do with modesty or bravado...my point was they are not above reproach.  And the fact that I have called out when they have made bad decisions, and when they made good ones, provides me with standing to assert my opinion on this topic.

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:53:46 AM PDT

•  And I never said (0+ / 0-)
          If you want to just sit back and assume they every step they take is perfect

by SottoVoce on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:49:57 AM PDT

•  Maybe you didn't (0+ / 0-)

But that is what I took from this statement...

it's really tiresome to have Democrats (13+ / 0-)

I apologize if I misinterpreted.  Can you clarify what you meant is you didn't mean we should assume each step they take is the right one?

by justmy2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:55:41 AM PDT

•  I think the campaign (0+ / 0-)

Tries its best to make good decisions and is right most of the time. Even if it makes a mistake, im sure they will learn from it. Even if we make a decision they disagree with, I am sure they had their reaons and were thinking thoughtfully.

This is what I mean when I have said I trust these people.

•  You're being disingenuous (0+ / 0-)

and trying to put words in a poster's mouth.

I can say that I think someone is smart and I trust them to do well. That's a far cry from saying I think they're perfect and never make a mistake.

by lcbo on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 09:09:34 AM PDT

•  1 (2+ / 0-)
      Lost and Found, DianeNYS

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:17:33 AM PDT

•  So totally (1+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama

agree with you ;)

"What would you think me if I were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death." - Eugene Victor Debs

by DianeNYS on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:53:20 AM PDT