View Diary: UPDATED: Romney - Residual Impairments from 1968 Brain Injury? (115 comments)

•  Faulty premise? (1+ / 0-)
    GustavMahler

please explain. . .

•  that one's medical credentials (2+ / 0-)
      erush1345, murrayewv

enable one to make a valid diagnosis of someone one has never met, nevrr examined, never seen any scientific data about. and yeah, frist never claimed to be making an actual diagnosis, either.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 03:23:31 PM PDT

•  Whew! (7+ / 0-)

I'm certainly glad I never made a diagnosis.  Any other allegedly faulty premises?

I consider your dismissal of my premise as faulty even more erroneous.  I might take your critique seriously if you'd spent more than 1:59 reading it.

What would you have me do with my hypotheses and associated apprehension that a brain-injured man might be seriously considered a candidate for commander in chief?  Tell my liberal friends?  Just keep them to myself?  Ask Fox to investigate?

•  I am a speech pathologist and started noticing (17+ / 0-)

word finding issues which seemed to cause Romney to circumlocute (try to find a way around a word), an incredible amount of low content and forumliac use of language, and other things.  I asked my daughter who does neuropsychological testing for a brain injury center if I was correct in thinking that perhaps there could be residual issues after Romney's injury even though it was so many years ago.  She said you would want to consider deficits in more than one area to be significant, like memory and language for example.

I don't think there is any reason not to consider the possibilities this diary raises.

•  There are memory issues. (12+ / 0-)

He agreed with what he said previously even though he could not remember it. Is it possible he cannot remember where he filed taxes and what states he lived in?

Remember that people questioned if McCain was healthy enough and he would only let reporters look at medical records. I wonder if there is something seriously wrong. I notice that blank look he gets when others are talking as if he is really struggling to remember what people are saying.

They say he is not used to being questioned as an elder in the Mormon church. I wonder if the stress of being questioned like he has never been questioned before is causing him more problems?

The only foes that threaten America are the enemies at home, and those are ignorance, superstition, and incompetence. - Elbert Hubbard -9.62/-8.15

by GustavMahler on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 04:15:15 PM PDT

•  Anything that disqualifies him to be President (2+ / 0-)
          WakeUpNeo, revbludge

and destroys the gop is ok with me.

You can't make this stuff up.

by David54 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 04:32:40 PM PDT

•  Listening to him speak off the cuff for more than (12+ / 0-)

sentence drives me nuts. He has a dearth of vocabulary that creates phrases like 'put out' a proposal or tax returns or 'put in place' legislation.

Ann is even worse though, she grasps for words and uses words incorrectly, 'we have been very transparent to what is required', 'mitt is 'golden''.

I've just always chalked it up to low intelligence.

"I'm sculpting now. Landscapes mostly." ~ Yogi Bear

by eXtina on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 04:42:17 PM PDT

•  congratulations (2+ / 0-)
          erush1345, bevenro

but neither one of you is qualified to diagnose romney wirhout having met him. politicians circumlocute. and obfuscate. and dissemble.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 06:49:18 PM PDT

•  You know that Freud did (2+ / 0-)
            Sharon Wraight, WakeUpNeo

a diagnosis and psychoanalysis of da Vinci, right?  Maybe not.  Go here:

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:16:42 PM PDT

•  and freud (0+ / 0-)

thought women were incapable of enjoying their sexualities but for their ability to pleasure men. he also said people were incapable of psychoanalyzing themselves, but based some of his theories on self-examination.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 07:50:54 PM PDT

•  And that Freud was wrong about (3+ / 0-)
                Sharon Wraight, DocChap, WakeUpNeo

. . . female sexuality has what to do with the diary?

If Freud can do long distance diagnosis and psychoanalysis, certainly it is not unacceptable for this diarist to do so.  My point is that there is precedent.

When one considers that, with modern training, the diarist knows more than Freud did about behavior and character formation, it becomes more than acceptable to speculate IMO.

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 03:11:59 AM PDT

•  it has to do with (0+ / 0-)

his not being a credible source. by your logic, if freud can be a misogynistic pig so can anyone else.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 09:04:27 AM PDT

•  Credible source? (2+ / 0-)
                    DocChap, Sharon Wraight

Once again with patience, what does Freud being right or wrong have to do with the diary and its acceptability?

My point is that long distance diagnosis and psychoanalysis is done and is not unacceptable,.

Yes, I can be a misogynistic pig if I choose to do so.  What does that have to do with what is acceptable to diary?

I used to be Snow White. And then I drifted. - Mae West

by CherryTheTart on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 07:58:32 PM PDT

•  let me make this very simple for you: (0+ / 0-)

that it was done by freud does not in any way make it credible. and beyond that, brain damage is not a psychological diagnosis. it is neurological.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 08:52:27 PM PDT

•  BUT, TBI has many psychopathological sequelae. (1+ / 0-)
                        Sharon Wraight

To the extent that we are recognizing psychopathology in Romney which is attributable to TBI 44 years ago, we are mostly observing decades of cumulative socioemotional maladaptation to subtle deficits and disorders - especially regarding his impulsivity, interpersonal clumsiness, and lack of conscience.

Freud's Psychosexual Study of an Infantile Reminiscence indeed featured  psychoanalysis and diagnosis. It was an exercise in postmortem analysis primarily to demonstrate a process that was completely alien to nearly all of Victorian society. He was utterly qualified to do so, despite the many flaws in his assumptions and conclusions, but even Sigmund knew that he was saying more about psychoanalytic theory than about Leonardo.

If Freud hadn't developed, published and demonstrated psychoanalytic theory, the public awareness of an unconscious mind might have been delayed in manifesting by many decades.  (Some politicians, like Bush, Romney and Jan Brewer act as though they still have no sense of their own unconscious motivations or conflicts.)

So, for Freud to have been wrong about female sexuality (and many other  things) doesn't render his entire theory wrong: only flawed.  My hypotheses are undoubtedly flawed, if their credibility is purely a function of whether or not Romney's goofs and gaffes are primarily attributable to TBI. But the process by which I notice trends and wonder about their etiology and meaning is not flawed; nor is my wondering out loud to Daily Kos, giving many readers another way of contemplating the man they fear might become president. In doing so, I've also given other readers opportunities to reveal themselves: their primary hostility and hatred, their intolerance, and their short-sightedness (by which one rejects the entirety of a 1500-word essay after affording it less than two minutes' contemplation, and - per Sigmund - projecting onto it his own lack of credibility).

•  very good (0+ / 0-)

and frist recognized all sorts of signs of life in schiavo, all via videotape, and all without medical data. and never claimed to be makng an actual clinical diagnosis. which is so very different than this.

as for freud, yes he coalesced and systematized a lot of previous work, and added some insights. he was also a hypocrite, a misogynist, and in many ways more a propagandist than scientist, all of which undermined his credibility on a host of issues. which is why the appeal to authority in no way validates any of his specific ideas.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:53:24 AM PDT

•  When my nephew was very young I suggested to (3+ / 0-)
            Sharon Wraight, DocChap, WakeUpNeo

my brother and sister in law that they look into getting an evaluation for him for speech/language issues.  They did, he was evaluated, enrolled in early intervention and has done really well.

Sometimes people see things that make them think there might be a need  to get an evaluation.  That's how I see this diary and my questions to my daughter.  The diagnosis part is completely separate and requires the correct type of setting, tools and personnel.  That is unlikely to happen in Mitt Romney's case of course and the diarist points that out.

I only commented that from a different field, with different perspectives I started asking myself the same kinds of questions.  Is there something wrong here?  It was helpful to me to hear that someone else has been noticing things that might lead them to recommend an evaluation.

One thing I know is that an evaluation won't be happening.