View Diary: Awesome: Former MI Asst. AG who stalked and harassed gay U of MI student ordered to pay $4.5 million (156 comments)

•  This royally sucks. For the bully. (7+ / 0-)

Guy probably had repressed homosexual tendencies--or a secret gay life--he couldn't deal with, and he was going on the attack for this reason.

Many virulent haters turn out to be closet-cases.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 03:11:19 PM PDT

•  It does seem like he had a sudden and serious (9+ / 0-)

reaction to the kid he was harrassing, gotta be a nerve got struck somewhere.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 05:11:55 PM PDT

•  How about Shirvell has a mad crush on the student. (9+ / 0-)

As repressed and uptight as Shirvell is, he can't act on his attraction, so he sets out to destroy the object of his affection.

At the same time, by constantly attacking the student...verbally, online and in person by picketing outside the student's home, etc...he is maintaining a "personal relationship", perverted as it is. Not to mention the unknowable time Shervell spent/spends mentally obsessing about the student.

I remember seeing Anderson Cooper's original interview with Shirvell and thinking at the time - this guy is in a very weird place in his own head.

In view of recent tragedies, I think Shirvell is a perfect candidate for someone who should not be permitted to carry guns.

"Evil is a lack of empathy, a total incapacity to feel with their fellow man." - Capt. Gilbert,Psychiatrist, at the end of Nuremberg trials.

by 417els on Fri Aug 17, 2012 at 08:00:19 PM PDT

•  Hmm, erotomania? Is that what they call it? (1+ / 0-)
          417els

It's an interesting take on it. Personally, though, I think it's just "closeted and jealous" syndrome.

Science can tell you how to clone a dinosaur. Humanities explains why this is a bad idea.

by Killer of Sacred Cows on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 09:17:40 AM PDT

•  I'm no expert. But it seems to be WAY TOO focused (2+ / 0-)

on one single person that Shirvell doesn't even know (not a neighbor, classmate, co-worker, etc.).  The relentless spewing of public hate and basically stalking of the student...with hand written arrows & remarks scribbled on photos?

The "closeted and jealous" appears obvious, but it seems to me there is something much more obsessive going on in Shirvell's twisted pointy little mind.  He strikes me as extremely sinister and dangerous; he's not going to be able to go cold turkey about this student, no matter what the jury verdict was.

I believe this student will never be safe as long as Shirvell knows where to find him.  Kidnap, torture, kill?  I hope I've just read about too many creeps who can't control perverted homicidal compulsions.

by 417els on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 12:55:14 PM PDT

•  I agree for the most part. It strikes me the same (2+ / 0-)
              417els, Killer of Sacred Cows

as Mitt's hyper reaction to the boy with the long hair he  attacked and cut in HS. As you said, a very specific, targeted response. And it's worrisome that he calls the student by his first name, personalizing the relationship while denying a relationship.

Where I'm not absolutely sure I agree is the likelihood that the creep will escalate to physical violence. I'm not discounting it, it is a concern and I would hope that the situation is documented and monitored. I do agree that his ignoring the restraining order is a red flag. Any idea what sort of stalking orders are available in MI? That would be the next move, I would think.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 06:41:51 PM PDT

•  I missed the calling him by his first name... (2+ / 0-)

That makes the whole thing even weirder to me.

Look at how many women have been victims of obsessive men.  Even with restraining orders.  We regularly read of women all across the country losing their lives..."If I can't have her ain't nobody gonna have her".

I'm afraid we haven't heard the last of Shervill. I just hope he's restrained (or involuntarily committed to a locked ward) before he does bodily harm to anyone.

by 417els on Sat Aug 18, 2012 at 07:01:43 PM PDT

•  It is all worrisome. Hopefully someone or (1+ / 0-)
                  417els

something will intervene to break the obsession and redirect this guy into some much needed counseling. A stalking order really would be my next move and requesting a psych evaluation for the stalker to determine whether there are violent tendencies. ::sigh:: Hope the kid has good friends around him.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid