View Diary: Hound them, Chase them, Drive them from this land (194 comments)

•  Well-said, thank you. (8+ / 0-)

Yes, I've been alive long enough I have seen the Democratic Party at its most craven, and I have witnessed its renaissance in recent years.

I trace the rebirth of the fighting Democrat, not to the rise of Barack Obama, but to the emergence years earlier of the internet. For the first time, the corporate media didn't have a monopoly on information about politics and culture for the masses; people started creating that on their own. They started getting uppity. The popular revolt against RW authoritarianism began there, and it's continued through the emergence of Barack Obama. He's inspired and heartened people who'd never felt inspired and heartened by a big politician before. Many people have voted for Obama who have never voted in an election before. That is huge and scary to interests in society who feel they must preserve the status quo at all costs. Rightly.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 06:44:32 AM PDT

•  Howard Dean's candidacy (2+ / 0-)
      twigg, karmsy

could never have happened without the internet.  And of course it was destroyed by the corporate media, which could not abide a fighting Democrat.

They are trying to do the same to Obama now that he is fighting, babbling about how toxic the race has become now that Dems are fighting back.  It's utterly transparent, but I fear most Americans aren't going to see it.

I'm not convinced that Obama can win this with so many factors arrayed against him.  Voter suppression, a hostile media, unlimited money, stratospheric gas prices, and a dissapointed youth vote will conspire to drive down his votes.  And despite what the cherry picked polls on dKos say, Obama's lead is razor thin.  The deluge of right wing money hasn't even hit the airwaves yet in full force.  Most likely, the republican convention will set the themes, and then it will be all-out spending straight through until the election.  It will be an unprecedented election if all that spending doesn't move the needle the few points Romney needs.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 09:54:40 AM PDT

•  Hope you turn out to be wrong, naturally. (2+ / 0-)
        Subterranean, elwior

Our side is accustomed to losing :) That may well color our judgments at times, too.

Sometimes, dark forecasts are all too easy to make.

by karmsy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 10:19:37 AM PDT

•  I'm definitely a glass is half-empty person (2+ / 0-)
          karmsy, twigg

and I live in a rural area, so that probably colors my thinking.

Naturally, I disagree that dark forecasts are easy to make.  Every election cycle, dKos is awash in absurdly optimistic thinking.  I got HRd heavily in 2004 for trying to inject reality into the debate, but I was proven right.  In 2008 I was fairly optimistic about Obama's chances, especially about how his race would play out.  That thanksgiving my family was convinced nobody would vote for the "n*gg*r" (lots of mild racism, they support Obama, but they are suspicious of black people).  I argued that his race wouldn't matter enough to give McCain victory.

So I like to think that while I'm a dark person by nature, it gives me the ability to see unpleasant truths, and I'm able to suppress it sufficiently to take an optimistic outlook when warranted.  But I admit I could be wrong about myself :)

by Subterranean on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 10:40:16 AM PDT

•  OK, one more thing (2+ / 0-)
            Subterranean, elwior

I wish I'd said in that comment above.

First of all, I share some of your reservations. I myself made the point following a very optimistic recent diary about the 2012 presidential race by Kos that "the effects of the Citizens' United ruling, and the unlimited funding the conservatives now enjoy, have yet to play out. They even have yet to play out with regard to this race. We just can't know this early how big money will affect the outcome of the presidential race, even though things look good right now."

On the heels of that, I'd add that the internet is still new (less than 20 years old) and a number of other factors in this race are brand-new, and we really can't know how any of them will actually shape the outcome. Hell, a few short months ago--to use one example--many around here were referring to Rush Limbaugh as "the de facto head of the Republican Party." That's an acknowledgment that he had tremendous power in shaping the political discourse in this country. Now, Limbaugh has been so roundly put to shame that he is severely weakened, his voice all but silenced. Things are still taking shape, very much. We can make reasonable predictions, but we can't know, for good or ill, how things will play out in November.

by karmsy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 10:58:36 AM PDT

•  Also, note (2+ / 0-)
          karmsy, twigg

While I think an Obama win would be unprecedented for a few reasons, by no means do I believe that makes it impossible.  Obama is after all an unprecedented president.

by Subterranean on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 10:42:52 AM PDT

•  Criticize him all you want. (3+ / 0-)
            twigg, Subterranean, elwior

Hell, I often do, with my heart breaking.

The man really knows how to get things done.

The victories on his watch, jaw-droppers, just keep piling up.

by karmsy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 at 11:04:20 AM PDT