View Diary: An Open Letter to Jewish Republicans (157 comments)

•  And you shall be forgiven loving which team,..... (10+ / 0-)

exactly? For loving Met the way you do, even the most devoted Red Sox would allow forgive you if you were, you know.....one of their fans.

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 06:22:42 PM PDT

•  Orioles (11+ / 0-)

and I'm actually not in love with them or any other major league team.  I'm now into the Torrington Trojans!!!! w0000t!  Connecticut college league.  I can walk to the field, the tickets are $5 and they love the game.  Great time for families.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 06:27:40 PM PDT

•  I love Torrington, acutally its mechanic (2+ / 0-)
        avsp, Mets102

We broke down there is the mid-1990s and on the suggestion of a state trooper, walked into the garage of a guy who not only fixed our  car, found us lodging, but took us out to dinner at the best diner in town.
        He was also a fabulous story teller, and knew everybody in the diner, so that I could refresh my tale of true stories for my then young child who had grown tired to books and wanted 'stories from my mouth'.

I am not sure if site rules allow me to name the guy. or if the garage is still there.

there was also a great coffee drivein shack, seattle style, near a rare book dealer IIRC.

Still there, they?

btw, BSRH jr. is newly married (3 months)  to a devoted mets fan who is being copied on this thread.

by BlueStateRedhead on Wed Aug 22, 2012 at 06:26:29 AM PDT

•  I grew up on Long Island as a Mets fan .... (15+ / 0-)

... and still am. But my second favorite team was the Red Sox, as:

a) I recall the "Impossible Dream" team of 1967, which laid the foundation (I believe) for the "Miracle Mets" of 1969.

b) We could get some Red Sox games from Connecticut (albeit with poor reception), and:

c) As the old saying goes: the enemy - of your enemy - is your friend.

Having lived in New Hampshire for twenty-five years (next month) I simply reversed my rooting-interest order after I moved here.

By the way: while there are many DK readers who are less-than-enthusiastic about Armando (OK, some downright can't-stand-him) I gotta say this for him. In a "Why You Should Root for the Yankees" post, I glazed over most of his reasons, except one which was "Steinbrenner - yes, if you can support the Yanks despite this man, isn't that a testament to your character?"

I drew-the-line at that, and wrote:

"Let's go, Mets and Red Sox - 5 reasons to cheer them on":

1) Steinbrenner
      2) Do
      3) You
      4) Need
      5) Another?!?!

And Armando hit recommend! Can't hang a man who can take a punch like that.

"We should pay attention to that man behind the curtain."

by Ed Tracey on Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 07:19:45 PM PDT

•  The '86 World Series must have been something (2+ / 0-)
        Ed Tracey, BlueStateRedhead

...for you! Who's side were you when The Ball went through The Wickets?

Took me a long time to stop hating the Mets after that one. Before that pivotal moment, they were just "the other NY team" for me. :)

Now, is there any way you could please do something about the $$!@$%!@! Giants, (football, not baseball!) that would be great. kthx!

•  Rooting for the Mets .... (5+ / 0-)

.... because of the constant pounding we Met fans had taken from the fans of the Haus of Steinbrenner - though obviously, was chagrined that it was against the Red Sox.

Should be noted (as John Feinstein did in his recent memoirs) - the Red Sox bullpen lost that series. Even if the Billy B fields that ball: no way Bob Stanley gets over to first ahead of Mookie Wilson. True, the winning run wouldn't have scored - but Howard Johnson (another left-handed batter) who had a good season was due up with the winning run on third base.

And even if Howard Johnson had then struck out, the game would have continued ... many people forget that. The bullpen also lost Game 7, too.

I've told my family in New York: we saw many championship teams in New York during my first 31 years there - the '69-70 Jets/Mets/Knicks titles were special. And Boston teams have won all four major sports championships over the past ten seasons, so I've seen many in my day.

None compare to the 2004 Red Sox. The people here were incredulous, with "If only Grandma So-and-So had lived to see this" being a common reaction. The 2007 title was more like an ordinary championship.

"We should pay attention to that man behind the curtain."

by Ed Tracey on Tue Aug 21, 2012 at 08:17:57 PM PDT

•  HoJo was a switch-hitter (1+ / 0-)
            Mets102

You are correct that the Boston bullpen lost that game. Schiraldi had two strikes each on Carter, Mitchell, and Knight. The outfield was playing too deep because Boston had a two run lead and Carter's base hit probably would have been caught by Rice if he was positioned normally. Then the Steamer threw a wild pitch to Wilson. Even after that, Boston had Knight picked off second but didn't throw over.

•  hear, hear, three cheers, and hurray (1+ / 0-)
            Mets102

as above BSRH jr. is newly married (3 months)  to a devoted mets fan who is being copied on this thread.

so your memories will be making the RS and Mets fans couple happier still.

by BlueStateRedhead on Wed Aug 22, 2012 at 06:29:08 AM PDT

•  Growing up in New York... (4+ / 0-)

and coming from a National League family, we were adrift when the Dodgers and Giants lit out for the coast-  until the Mets arrived. They weren't much, but they were better than  the alternative. Yankee fans had been pounding on me for years- being a Mets fan in 1962, 1963 taught me everything I know about keeping the faith.

It was very easy to transition from the Mets to the Red Sox when I moved to New England in the 80's, given my poition on the Yankees. Though I will confess, after moving to NE in 1982, I didn't cut the ties with my hometown team until after 1986...

Ironically, the final straw in my estrangement with the Mets was their hiring Bobby Valentine as manager....

Now if that isn't a story rooted in the diaspora, I don't know one that would be.

"When you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance." Jesse Winchester

by The Poet Deploreate on Wed Aug 22, 2012 at 03:14:30 AM PDT

•  Why I love the mets, too (1+ / 0-)
        Mets102

The rest of the family is red in politics and bluestripped in baseball.
        we talk about the weather alot.

by BlueStateRedhead on Wed Aug 22, 2012 at 06:27:47 AM PDT

•  BTW BSRH jr's beloved is blue thru and thru. (1+ / 0-)
          Mets102

It's the sibs who are the stripers [not strippers]
          also Giants fans.