View Diary: When the Next Crash Comes Remember Which Side You Were On and Learn (213 comments)

•  If Romney were to be elected, (9+ / 0-)

would you refuse to blame him (Romney) for the coming collapse and bailouts just for the sake of not giving us "idealist hippies" the pleasure of seeing you take an anti-White House position for once?

"Once the Lords of Capital are no longer the lords of anything, humanity gets another shot at rational development of the species and the planet." - Glen Ford

by Cassiodorus on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 09:10:42 AM PDT

•  Doesn't even make sense. (1+ / 0-)
      Eric Blair

Obviously my position is not "anti-white house", it's "anti-austerity" and "anti-cut-my-nose-off-to-spite-my-face".

vigilant COYB - Who are ya Van Persie?

by GoGoGoEverton on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 09:14:31 AM PDT

•  Are you sure you're anti-austerity? (13+ / 0-)

From that idealist hippie Jeffrey Sachs:

In fact, Mr Obama’s overall discretionary spending targets are essentially the same as Mr Ryan’s.
        Now, as for the election, I suppose there are two schools of thought on the matter.  One of them is that maybe the liberals and progressives will feel more free to be anti-austerity when being anti-austerity means being anti-President Romney.  The other is that only with an Obama victory will the liberals and progressives see that Obama is in fact pro-austerity, and has been so since his appointment of the Catfood Commission.

So if you're wondering why some of the respondents to this diary seem so indifferent to election outcomes relative to you, perhaps it's because we've got reasons for hope either way.  In other words, it's all good.

by Cassiodorus on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 09:26:57 AM PDT

•  ((facepalm)) (1+ / 0-)
          JoanMar

"Discretionary spending" does not include social security and medicare.   So saying "Aside from getting rid of medicare, they are equally austere" doesn't really make sense, does it.

I don't understand the diary, or you, being so intent on making people pick sides in a manner that doesn't make a fig's difference except for scoring points on a blog about who is and who isn't [put label du jour here].   There's a choice to be made out in the real world, one that is either going to help or hurt.  Try to focus.

"My taxes are of the legally correct height, and the core reason for my campaign is to make them a different, lower height, and it is none of your business what precisely either of those heights might be." Mitt, as channelled by Hunter.

by Inland on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 09:59:41 AM PDT

•  Which choice would "help"? (3+ / 0-)
            priceman, poligirl, gooderservice
            If you can find a choice in this year's Presidential election that would "help," I'm sure you could take your case up with Jeffrey Sachs.  You'd probably win the debate, too -- you're smarter than he is, right?

by Cassiodorus on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 10:27:42 AM PDT

•  I won't bother you with what's good for the nation (0+ / 0-)

I'll take up the election with Sachs, since you aren't interested in my answer to your question.

By the way...thanks for nothing.  Literally.

by Inland on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 10:43:43 AM PDT

•  I'm so disappointed! (4+ / 0-)

I was so hoping for a defense of Obama's austerity planning.

by Cassiodorus on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 10:56:55 AM PDT

•  Don't be, just read some more editorials and (0+ / 0-)

hold them as "fact" without worrying about any criticism or complete pictures.

vigilant COYB - Who are ya Van Persie?

by GoGoGoEverton on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 11:04:25 AM PDT

•  Actually, you told me to take it up with Sachs. (0+ / 0-)

You pretty much chickened out when I brought up what "discretionary" means.

That's what happens when you're more interested in scoring purity points on a blog than what's good for the country.

By the way....for all that....thanks for nothing.

by Inland on Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 11:09:00 AM PDT