View Diary: I'm a Ben Tre Republican (196 comments)

•  Also: (1+ / 0-)
    DrSpike

What does this mean?

I can only assume that the Democrats at the time figured that one impeachment in ten-plus years had been enough - it would explain why they didn't start proceedings, but doesn't absolve them completely.
    You're talking about 1987.  Unless I am mistaken there were no impeachment proceedings against any President between Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 05:41:34 PM PDT

•  Nixon, although (0+ / 0-)

I freely concede that it never came to a trial in the Senate for him.

•  He was not impeached. He quit first. (2+ / 0-)
        zett, Chi
        In 1974, the House Judiciary Committee recommended Articles of Impeachment to the full House of Representatives, but Nixon resigned before the House voted on the Articles.

Hence Nixon was not impeached during the Watergate scandal. The only Presidents ever to have been impeached were Andrew Johnson (1867) and Bill Clinton (1998), both of whom were acquitted in their Senate trials.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 06:01:14 PM PDT

•  As I recall, Nixon resigned after a visit to him (2+ / 0-)
          annan, Jim Domenico

by a group of about 20 Republican Congressmen, at the White House.

They came to tell him that he could resign, like now, or that there would be an Impeachment Trial, and that the US Senate would Affirm it.

He resigned shortly thereafter.

* * *
          I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization
          -- SCOTUS Justice O.W. Holmes Jr.
          * * *
          "A Better World is Possible"
          -- #Occupy

by Angie in WA State on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 09:38:20 PM PDT

•  Oh, please. (2+ / 0-)
          paulitics, Jim Domenico

He resigned because he'd been told that if he didn't he was going to be impeached. And unlike Clinton, he would not have been acquitted.

I'm a lifelong liberal Democrat, who knew from the day he was elected that Nixon would be a nightmare president, and who believes that Reagan was a traitor before he got elected. I may agree with you ideologically, but I have to say that your attitude towards the diarist does not reflect well on you. To put it in terms you might understand, dickishness.

by sidnora on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 06:02:50 AM PDT

•  Not in the least. (0+ / 0-)

I said nothing other than that he owes us an apology for voting for Reagan.  He apologized, and I thanked him for that.

Again - if somebody's commitment to the cause is so fragile that a question or two from me causes him to clutch pearls - we don't have his vote anyway.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 06:19:14 AM PDT

•  Asking once is fine. (0+ / 0-)

You made you point. Chasing him through the comment thread like Javert going after Jean Valjean is dickishness.

by sidnora on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 07:24:14 PM PDT

•  Of course the author is referring Nixon. (nt) (0+ / 0-)