View Diary: I'm a Ben Tre Republican (196 comments)

•  People make mistakes (10+ / 0-)

go easy on them.  I am sure you made a few too.

Watching Mitt's strategy is what it looks like when you try to put an etch a sketch in a centrifuge.

by AppleP on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 05:54:45 PM PDT

•  Yes, but I didn't write a diary (2+ / 0-)
      uciguy30, Chi

bragging about being such an enlightened conservative that I voted for Ronald Reagan twice.  I didn't see him saying that anything about Reagan was a mistake.  Just a bit of "disillusionment."  Well, his vote helped make sure that friends of mine died, and I am not going to stand on a crate and cheer him for it.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 05:57:03 PM PDT

•  The author was just (6+ / 0-)

telling the truth.  We have all suffered because of the "Reagan revolution" but we can't alienate those who made mistakes and truly regret it now.

I am sorry for you losses.  I do not see how the author is "cheering" for his prior actions.  Actually, it seems he is ashamed of them.

The blacks in South Africa had every right and opportunity to punish those who did terrible things.  They had the wisdom and courage to move forward.  Imagine how the middle east would be different if they had the same courage.

by AppleP on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 06:31:06 PM PDT

•  I still want to know (0+ / 0-)

what the author is doing to elect Democrats.  Sounded like a lot of theory to me - I would like to see some action to back up his nice-sounding words.

Please point out the shame part.  At least where it concerns Reagan.  Seems upon a close reading that the author remained a committed Republican pretty much up till 1999.  And still refers to it as "my Party."

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 06:32:49 PM PDT

•  My grandmother used to say: (4+ / 0-)
            You catch more flys with honey than you do with vinegar.
            I would respond:
            But grandmother, I don't want to catch flies
            Think of getting more Democrats as catching flies.

New Democrats will come mostly from 2 places: people who are not attached to a political party or from people who are currently Republicans.

When you convert a vote for a Republican  to a vote for a Democrat, it  is is equal to two votes...one less for the Republicans and one more for the Democrats.

His vote for Obama is equal to 2 of your votes. That is what he is doing.

Beyond that he has written a truly wonderful account of how one  goes from being a Republican to being a Democrat.  It doesn't happen all at once. While his experience does not speak to you, it is likely to speak to other Republicans who might be induced to vote for Obama.

His is an importand voice.

He is a potential Democrat one who has already voted with Democrats. You say you want more and better Democrats yet when confronted with someone who is clearly headed our way, you try to discourage him That is clearly not a path to the DK goal of more and better Democrats.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

by Jane Lew on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 09:17:39 PM PDT

•  In what way is (0+ / 0-)

it discouraging him to ask what he is doing to elect Democrats?  That is the purpose of the site.

If he can be scared off by a few simple questions that are not in the least accusatory - he's not going to vote our way anyway.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 04:30:48 AM PDT

•  You have not asked a few simple questions. (0+ / 0-)

You have engaged in a course of action designed to chase away great writer and potential Democrat...a move antithetical to the stated purpose of this site.

It does not reflect well on you.

The Wanderer has written a diary at the top of the DK rec list on his very 1st outing. I would be very proud of that accomplishment if I were he/she. That is the kind of start here most folks can only dream about.

What in the world makes you think he/she will not for for Obama? Did you read the diary? He/she has already voted for a Democrat for President 4 times!

I had voted for Clinton in 1992 and 1996; I voted for Gore in 2000.  My opinion of that electoral outcome I shall keep to myself.

By 2004 I was ready to vote for the Hohenzollern Pretender.  Yes, I'd vote Monarchist (constitutional monarchy seems to have worked out okay in the UK; they don't have a Vice President, but they do have a Queen to open post offices and the like) as an alternative to Bush.

I voted for Barack Obama in 2008, saying on my blog that I thanked the Goddess that I had lived long enough to see this.

by Jane Lew on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 11:47:32 AM PDT

•  Did (1+ / 0-)
            ChemBob

Did you miss the point where he said he voted for Clinton both times? As for what he's doing to elect Democrats - he's voting for them!

Language professors HATE me!

by Zornorph on Sun Aug 26, 2012 at 09:44:58 PM PDT

•  This is not a site (0+ / 0-)

for people of limited enthusiasm whose support stops at casting a vote.

And no - I didn't miss the point.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 04:30:07 AM PDT

•  It's also not a site (2+ / 0-)
                Jim Domenico, Zornorph

for tossing someone under a bus because they don't fit your notions of ideological purity.

When someone starts walking out of the darkness into the light, I say "Welcome!" even if they are still in a little bit of shade at the time.

Freedom has two enemies: Those who want to control everyone around them...and those who feel no need to control themselves.

by Sirenus on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 07:48:21 AM PDT