View Diary: Romney Goes Full Racist: Accuses Obama of Cutting Welfare Work Requirement to "Shore Up Base." (172 comments)

•  Yes, most poor folks are white. (10+ / 0-)

It's going to be nasty, but that Romney is using racism can be an advantage both short term and long term.  Short term, it can alienate white suburban folks who may be blind to their own privilege, but know racism is wrong and don't want to be seen as racist.  I also think Clinton can twist this welfare ad back at Romney because it's a lie.  That's my hope.

Long term, it puts racism right out there.  If Obama wins again, racism fails.  There still will be racism and racists, but it's another nail in the coffin.

If Romney were winning, he would not eb doing this.

I'm from the Elizabeth Warren Wing of the Democratic Party!

by TomP on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 07:57:02 AM PDT

•  Do those poor white folks who vote (9+ / 0-)

understand that when Romney's talking about people on welfare he's talking about them too? With those signs we've seen like "Keep government out of my Medicare," they might think that Romney is only talking about other people.

It's like the abortion issue. When other people get an abortion it's murder, but when they get one, "The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion."

I did read somewhere the other day that this welfare claim may backfire on Romney because of the fact that so many people in the middle class have fallen into having to rely on food stamps, and other social safety net programs.

For me, Mitt reminds me of Jeff Bridges in Starman. He's like an alien that hasn't read the entire manual. You know, he's going, "Nice to be in a place where the trees are the right size. -- Robin Williams on Letterman 26 Apr 2012

by hungrycoyote on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 08:15:23 AM PDT

•  Cognitive dissonance. (10+ / 0-)

Many think they are the "deserving poor," while people who look different are not.

I'm from the Elizabeth Warren Wing of the Democratic Party!

by TomP on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 09:02:00 AM PDT

•  people in general don't get it (8+ / 0-)

The reason they don't get it is fundamental attribution bias. It's a tendency of human beings, not a particular socio-economic or racial-ethnic group.

Fundamental attribution bias works like this. If something is going wrong in my life, it is due to external forces that I cannot control. If the very same thing is going wrong in another person's life, it's due to internal forces (bad character, for example). The person could have avoided the problem or could change the situation if (s)he really wanted to do so.

It's a way of resolving cognitive dissonance without actually addressing any uncomfortable issues. I think of it as whistling past the graveyard.

Fundamental attribution bias can be more pronounced across socio-economic or racial-ethnic lines. However, it exists even when one middle-class white person attributes fault or blame to another middle-class white person.

Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean that you don't have to keep time. -- T. Monk

by susanala on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 09:08:19 AM PDT

•  Lots of white people on welfare (9+ / 0-)

That ive talked to are convinced of their own virtue:

"Yeah I took welfare but I worked hard to get off it, not like those lazy bums sitting on their asses and expecting the government to support them (deafening dog whistle)."

Sez I: which lazy bums? You mean black people? What makes you think they aren't working as hard as you, assuming they can even get a job?

We are the principled ones, remember? We don't get to use the black hats' tricks even when it would benefit us. Political Compass: -6.88, -6.41

by bmcphail on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 08:37:48 AM PDT

•  I was wondering how much the difference (1+ / 0-)
        SoCalSal

was and as luck would have it, Onomastic posted a diary with this image:

by hungrycoyote on Mon Aug 27, 2012 at 01:24:46 PM PDT