View Diary: GOP boos Puerto Rico at convention! Chants "USA! USA!" UPDATED W/PARTIAL RETRACTION (234 comments)

•  I feel about as badly for her as I do for Log (14+ / 0-)

Cabin Republicans.  Anyone from Puerto Rico who thinks that the vast number of today's Republican party can appreciate the difference between American citizens from Puerto Rico and any other Latino, be they Cubans, Mexican, or anyone else who has Spanish in their heritage is fooling themselves.

To the white majority in that room, they are all a bunch of wetbacks.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:01:02 PM PDT

•  She may understand now, but do you honestly (19+ / 0-)

believe she understood that before she walked onto that stage? I doubt it. She's not used to the racism that is so prevalent in this country. And no one ever should be used to it.

I hope she changes party. I might just write her a note.

202-224-3121 to Congress in D.C. USE it! You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage them. "We're not perfect, but they're nuts."--Barney Frank 01/02/2012

by cany on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:04:07 PM PDT

•  If she didn't not understand that today's GOP was (8+ / 0-)

a cabal of racist, xenophobic shitheads, she apparently did not watch any of the 57 debates televised during the Republican Primary clown car show, and does not watch the RNC propaganda channel.  If she was so ill informed as to not realize that the Republican Party is now a mob of racist sick fucks, she had no business being at a political convention.  Why is it that I, a lifelong Democrat white guy knew that the Republicans were mean and stupid, and she did not?  I really have no sympathy.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:13:55 PM PDT

•  With you 100% (0+ / 0-)

I don't believe in deathbed conversions.

If she didn't know in advance what she was getting into, she deserves every single moment of humiliation to which she aspired.

Maybe NOW she will wake the fuck up and go home and work against the people who think she is trash and her people worth nothing.

Until inauguration day The USA is in the greatest danger it has ever experienced.

by Deep Dark on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:30:50 PM PDT

•  She looked thunderstruck and lost. Just look at (10+ / 0-)

her face. It's easy to say "she should have known". But it's likely she'd never been exposed to the cesspool of today's GOP in her island cocoon until she stepped on that stage. She actually looks like a kindly 'abuela' -- grandmother.

I'm looking forward to Univision's coverage of this tonight. Hopefully, the image of this elderly lady being treated like a piece of dogshit will be firmly planted in Latino minds when Cruz and Martinez take the stage in Tampa.

"But there is so much more to do." - Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

by flitedocnm on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:20:56 PM PDT

•  This should be shown to every Latino in the nation (4+ / 0-)

to let them know how the Republican party feels about anyone of Latino descent.  Please OFA, show this as a statement of why every Latino in the nation should vote for the Democrats.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 08:34:36 PM PDT

•  I am Puerto Rican and even though (0+ / 0-)

I live in NY follow  closely the going ons in PR and believe me these are not kindly grandmotherly types.  They are as corrupt and misguided as any GOPer.  We even have birther law makers.  She deserves everything she got.

•  Respectfully disagree. (1+ / 0-)
            catfood

If this woman were not Latina, and not from PR, she would not have been shouted down. She was not disrespected because of her politics, but because of the color of her skin, and her Spanish accent. And because the Neanderthals assumed she was an immigrant.

We -- the progressives who inhabit this site -- don't shout people down and treat them like dogshit just because we disagree with them. And we shouldn't condone those who do. That's not how we roll. We're better than that.

Do you know this woman personally? Is that how you would treat her yourself? Really?

"But there is so much more to do." - Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

by flitedocnm on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 09:16:30 PM PDT

•  Just read the new comments above that the chants (2+ / 0-)
              congenitalefty, cany

of USA! may actually have been to drown out the Ron Paul supporters. So, this entire discussion may be wrong. My apologies for jumping on board.

"But there is so much more to do." - Barack Obama, Nov. 4, 2008

by flitedocnm on Tue Aug 28, 2012 at 09:24:08 PM PDT

•  I do not respect Mitt Romney (1+ / 0-)
              flitedocnm

or what the Republican Party has become nor anyone who aligns themselves with them.  And while it's not my style to shout people down,  in fact it's one of the things I despise about right wingers on tv,  this woman deserved to have her eyes opened.