View Diary: GOP writes off 12% of Americans (56 comments)

•  Interesting (6+ / 0-)
    Why spend campaigns funds, time and resources on a lost cause?
    Have they ever spent campaign funds, time and resources on anything other than their base?  Writing off?  They have never written on.  This isn't a new development.  The problem is they refuse to see this as a problem.  Instead they further insult and demean.

"I am neither bitter nor cynical but I do wish there was less immaturity in political thinking." Franklin D. Roosevelt

by djbender on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 07:45:11 PM PDT

•  chicken and egg conundrum (3+ / 0-)

AAs simply won't vote for republicans because of their prejudices and republican candidates will not woo those voters for the same reason.

So... the status quo continues.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 07:54:54 PM PDT

•  once upon a time (2+ / 0-)
        Only Needs a Beat, mikejay611

African-Americans only voted for Republicans.  Status quo.
        None will admit they have a problem.  However, I do credit Michael Steele for acknowledging there may be a problem but it seems he has given up to.

by djbender on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 08:01:16 PM PDT

•  When the Repugs booted Michael Steele (1+ / 0-)
          djbender

out as RNC chairman it is a clear signal that it was the end of a timid attempt by the GOP to reach out to African American (AA) voters. Michael Steele a highly AA Republican ultra conservative was selected by the GOP to be its first black national chairman. This was done in response to Obama's election to POTUS. The expectation of the GOP was that Steele in his lofty position of RNC Chairman would attract large numbers of PROFESSIONAL AA people who were already members of organizations such as the Urban League and black fraternities into the Republican Party.

Unfortunately Steele did not understand the subtlety regarding the type of AA people the GOP wanted to recruit into the party, and as such he went off on a rather sophmoric tangent by starting up a widely publicized  campaign to recruit AA Rappers and Hip Hop artists. This failure to understand the class specific nature of his mission ultimately cost Steele his job heading up the NRC.

The GOP smear machine burped out a series of embarrasing money mismanagement scandals against Steele which was ultimately given as the reason for him to be voted out of his position as chairman. I believe if Steele had been mature and smart enough to have achieved positive success in obtaining the type of AA professionals that the GOP was looking for, we would be looking at a different political situation today.

•  don't be cynical. they coughed up gas money for (3+ / 0-)

the trip to the NAACP convention where he...

insulted black people.

•  If that's how it was interpreted then.. (0+ / 0-)

there's even less reason for them to woo AA voters.   And I kind of understand it, because it seems the hard left is so totally obsessed with race that any miniscule slight is considered a national issue.   Under those circumstances why would a republican candidate even CONSIDER a discussion with AA voters?

The risk/reward is not worth it.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 08:30:07 PM PDT

•  the hard LEFT is so totally obsessed with race? (8+ / 0-)

the obsession with race is a white republican strategy...///when black people or any other people point out that strategy, we are accused of being racist....or "race obsessed"......with democrats like you enabling that perspective, it confirms that we as a country are experiencing a new era of post-reconstruction jim crow....

"Fear is the Mind Killer"--Frank Herbert

by vmm918 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 10:23:58 PM PDT

•  Look at all of the diaries here on DK (0+ / 0-)

watch msnbc, cnn, listen to air america... everything and anything is about race, no matter how slight the infraction, even if there wasn't one it's imagined and then becomes reality.  There is almost a psychotic nature to the behavior.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Thu Aug 30, 2012 at 11:41:01 PM PDT

•  with democrats like you enabling that perspective, (2+ / 0-)
            RockyMtnLib, Only Needs a Beat

"Soros" is no Democrat.

•  You're correct. (0+ / 0-)

I do not identify myself as a 'democrat' but I tend to vote that way in federal elections, and this year I might sit it out because Obama has not provided a convincing case for his reelection.    Would I vote against him? ie; for Romney? highly unlikely, and since he decided to bring that FRAUD Ryan with him, I'd decided that will never happen.

As far local elections go, I don't judge anybody on their party but on what the incumbent has done during their term.  I've voted for the republican candidate a few times when it made sense in close elections, and I didn't do that because i endorsed their platform but it was the pragmatic decision.

Most people here wouldn't dream of doing that but I don't have a moral or ethical problem with it, none.

To you, I'm an atheist. To God, I'm the loyal opposition.” ― Woody Allen

by soros on Sat Sep 01, 2012 at 10:55:39 PM PDT

•  yes, because it was the "hard left" (5+ / 0-)

that developed the "Southern Strategy" after all. oh, wait, um, that's not quite true.

because it seems the hard left is so totally obsessed with race
          geez, this place really needs to raise the quality of its trolls.
        •  Hard left LOL! (6+ / 0-)

There is no such thing as a "hard left" in American politics. There is a moderately conservative party: the Democrats, and a raving lunatic right wing party: the Republicans.
            I can guess which one you are.

•  now you're getting trollish (0+ / 0-)
          this is a stupid rightwing canard which could have been written by any wingnut at Redstate. NO, the "hard left" (what ever the fuck that is) does NOT see racism in every miniscule sleight. That's a fucking lie used to cover up racism just the way you're using it here.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Fri Aug 31, 2012 at 09:37:12 AM PDT

•  He went to to talk to (0+ / 0-)

HIS BASE, not Obama's base.

To tell all those AA how it's going to be.....  Is a Republican wet dream they have over and over and over again....

Seriously, that trip to the NAACP had nothing to do with speaking to that crowd for anything else but to speak to his base via the media that would play and replay his words over and over again, and they did.

-6.13 -4.4 Where are you? Take the Test!!!

by MarciaJ720 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 at 09:58:45 AM PDT