View Diary: Computers + In-Laws + Tea Party = Aggravation (71 comments)

•  Same with my mother-in-law (8+ / 0-)

In real life, she's a pretty savvy person, not usually easy prey to scammers. But when these right-wing e-mails pop up on her screen, she's willing to throw away her knowledge and insight and react to the dog whistles.

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. -- Woody Allen

by cassandracarolina on Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 01:42:08 PM PDT

•  Is she behaving differently (7+ / 0-)

in any areas?

Since you had no idea that she previously paid any attention to right wing crap, maybe she didn't, but is showing early signs of dementia.

I know, it sounds arrogant to say that someone moving to the right must be losing their mind, but I have heard about that happening. And now having all kinds of virus activity makes me wonder whether she is clicking where a savvy person wouldn't.

A definition is the enclosing of a wilderness of ideas within a wall of words -- Samuel Butler

by A Mad Mad World on Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 01:53:20 PM PDT

•  You raise a very good point (7+ / 0-)

about changing behavior. She's exactly the same in all other behaviors, and has been thoroughly checked out medically.

The sad thing would be for any elderly person who truly suffers from dementia while concurrently embracing Tea Party crap to reject calls for medical intervention from their now-estranged family members.

by cassandracarolina on Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 01:56:45 PM PDT

•  I'm glad she seems to be OK but please (1+ / 0-)
          cassandracarolina

don't get lulled into a false sense of comfort. My late father suffered from dementia, but in the early onset stage could fool the doctors, even psychiatrists, into believing he was in better shape than he truly was. As he declined physically, he would say, "At least I still have my mind," and no one but me ever questioned it until it was too late to really help him. It starts slowly and is not always expressed in enough different behaviors to raise concerns. The danger is that treatment and mitigation may be delayed to the point of diminished or nonexistent benefit.

The obsessive nature of this change your MIL has undergone would concern me, but I just lost my dad a couple of weeks ago and I've been thinking a lot about how things might have been different had everyone recognized sooner what was really going on. So I'm probably not the best person to offer advice since I'm still raw emotionally, but I care about you and your family. Please take this comment in that spirit and forgive me if I have offended.

Peace.

A little blue dot in a vast sea of red.

by deha on Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 06:28:11 AM PDT

•  thank you, deha... my father went through a (3+ / 0-)
            deha, GreenMother, A Mad Mad World

seven year decline into Alzheimers, so you have my deepest sympathies. He was a brilliant engineer, musicologist, and Renaissance man. At first, my mother refused to believe that he had any cognitive decline, so he was diagnosed after probably a year or two into the disease at least.

What many people don't realize about Alzheimers is that it's not just the cognitive unraveling; it's also a shutdown of many of the body's physical systems over time. The medications that were available at the time my father was diagnosed had many adverse side effects that compounded, rather than alleviating, his problems. Thankfully, he recognized me until the end. I used to read to him from books that he'd read to me as a kid. At first, he could still complete some of the sentences, just as always, from his long-term memory. By the end, he'd say "Wow! That was really good story!" as if he'd never heard a word of it before.

Thank you for sharing your advice at your own time of loss. Things do get better, but I recall that raw sense of loss at the time, even though for my father, liberation from his physical body was probably a blessing. At his request, we donated his brain for research, in hopes that this would help to find a way of preventing or curing this Alzheimers and other forms of dementia.

by cassandracarolina on Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 06:40:15 AM PDT

•  It was a blessing for my father, too (2+ / 0-)
              cassandracarolina, GreenMother

He had been so miserable for so long. The last year became an exercise in finding the right medications and techniques just so he could be cared for. It's really been rough, especially for him. Thank goodness for hospice. Those people are wonderful.

Sorry for your own loss. It really is hard to watch a strong, intelligent, and vital human being decline like that.

Peace.

A little blue dot in a vast sea of red.

by deha on Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 06:50:30 AM PDT

•  Hospice was a great help (1+ / 0-)
                deha

Both my father and father-in-law were able to leave this world with dignity and free from the pain and mental anguish that haunted their final weeks and months. What a relief for all of us who loved them to witness the tender mercies of the hospice staff.

by cassandracarolina on Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 07:12:47 AM PDT

•  I think it's more culture shock than anything. (10+ / 0-)

E-mail is new to many of these people and, frankly, most of them grew up in a time and place where you tended to believe everything you read.

They don't seem to realize or accept that people they know could just be passing along lies to them.

Think about it.

If you grew up when there were only three fairly respectable networks and one local middle-of-the-road newspaper giving out the news, what would you make of Fox News and the hundreds of conspiracy blogs out today?

Repubs started up the car, hit the throttle and sent it over the cliff, and now they're complaining the black guy hasn't fixed it fast enough.

by Bush Bites on Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 01:58:42 PM PDT

•  My Dad had Alzheimer's but died a Dem (4+ / 0-)

Ther was still enough left for him to despise McCain and he quickly realized that Palin, however great her legs, was an iiidiot, nd voted Obama.  It was after that, before Obama was inaugurated, that he went rapidly downhill. He was a cranky curmudgeon and he made my life hell--but when it came to politics, he was solid.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 08:13:16 PM PDT