View Diary: How Romney's advertising shows the shape of the race (110 comments)

•  Excuse me? (3+ / 0-)
    mrblifil, lonespark, cacamp

Apparantly the overt racism among some Republicans is clearly tolerated by the Republican Party and the Republican Party clearly panders to racists and roughly half of likely voters seem not to have enough of a problem with that for it to sway there vote. I think that indicates there is a fairly significant race problem remaining in this country.

It may be a relatively small percent that are rabidly racist, but there's a sizable percent who are passively racist in that they are more than a bit too comfortable with the day to day racial injustice they can't or don't want to see.

This race is far too close for me to give the benefit of the doubt to more than 60% of the electorate. Not saying 40% are racist, but 40% have a worldview that needs a hell of a lot of enlightening.

Ds see human suffering and wonder what they can do to relieve it. Rs see human suffering and wonder how they can profit from it.

by JTinDC on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 06:37:34 AM PDT

•  Goddamnit, for once I'd like to comment w/out (0+ / 0-)

a typo, just once-

Should read
      This race is far too close for me to give the benefit of the doubt to more than 40% of the electorate.

by JTinDC on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 06:46:18 AM PDT

•  I'm not glossing over anything.... (3+ / 0-)
      JTinDC, lonespark, CocoaLove

...in fact, being a white man with a black wife, I see firsthand the racism exhibited by many folks on a daily basis.  She gets followed around in a store, by the owner, and I do not.  Meanwhile, she is far more educated and credentialed than I am, and racist idiots will never stop to think about that.
      Racism always comes down to individuals, and their beliefs.  Even institutional racism is ongoing, and can be stopped, BECAUSE OF INDIVIDUAL CHOICES AND ACTIONS.

OF COURSE WE STILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT PROBLEM.....but we never seem to talk about how far we have come.

There are enough open-minded people in this country to vote in and re-elect a black president, even in the face of UNPRECEDENTED opposition, where so many have made it THEIR ONLY GOAL TO STOP HIM; and in the face of BILLIONS OF DOLLARS, from some of the most wealthy, and in a way, the most powerful people in the country.

And yet, the black guy can still garner 60+ MILLION votes!! ...and be at a point where, even with people out of work and hurting, the white guy needs the proverbial draw of four aces to beat him.

I think that is significant.  Also, I was alluding to our country v. other countries, where our race problem is always singled out as extraordinary, compared to other countries.  I call total bullshit on that one.  Just go find me a country where either my religion (Jewish), or my wife's race, or my own race, or my political beliefs, or my economic status would not be a problem of some kind.  Good luck finding that country.

Aldus Shrugged : The Antidote to Ayn Rand. Buy ALDUS SHRUGGED on amazon, and ALL royalties will be donated directly to barackobama.com HELP ME TO HELP THE BIG O!!! And follow the fun: @floydbluealdus1

by Floyd Blue on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 07:05:59 AM PDT

•  Canada? nt (1+ / 0-)
        JTinDC

--Mr. President, you have to earn my vote every day. Not take it for granted. --

by chipoliwog on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 07:43:08 AM PDT

•  Actually, they have a lot of West Indian... (1+ / 0-)
          lonespark

immigrants in Canada, though I am only familiar with the population in the Toronto area....and yes, they have had their share of problems....because some people....well, you know.

Your point is well-taken, though.  Canada has alot going for it.

(check out Black Uhuru's "Youth of Eglington"  ....great song and quite poignant).

by Floyd Blue on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 08:10:21 AM PDT

•  Two things (0+ / 0-)

First, I didn't realize you were thinking in terms of in comparison to other countries.

Second, I see your point in that yes, we have made a great deal of progress.

I'm offended to my core that today's Republican Party is as comfortable as it is with racist America and that leads me to believe we have not made as much progress as many of us had assumed and it seems a disturbing percent of the population is A-OK with that.

To be sick of hearing about our racial problems just because we've made progress and we're better than other countries is rather cold in light of all the US citizens who still have race-related struggles.

by JTinDC on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 07:49:03 AM PDT

•  Well, that other country comparison was... (1+ / 0-)
          JTinDC

...only part of my point.  I too am sickened and disgusted almost to the point of irrational behavior, when I see the disgusting garbage coming from republicans and the highest-ranking members of their party....when this garbage should maybe be only coming from fringe whackadoos.

I think we agree to agree, actually.

I am just buoyed by the throngs of all races, and yes, that includes many older white men, cheering on OUR PRESIDENT...OUR BLACK PRESIDENT....AND the fact that so many millions voted for, and will vote for, him.

I am just in a very positive mood today, thanks to that (African-American) man in the WH, and it just feels damn good!!!

So, I do believe, overall, we agree to agree.

by Floyd Blue on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 08:06:50 AM PDT

•  LOL, OK Floyd, I'm glad you feel good. (2+ / 0-)
            lonespark, dotdash2u

And hope I get to a point where I can get more focused on the good too. I think once we get through this election and good has again triumphed over evil, at least in this battle in the greater war, I'll feel better.

by JTinDC on Fri Sep 07, 2012 at 08:13:36 AM PDT