View Diary: In defense of red state socialism (141 comments)

•  And yet again... (3+ / 0-)
    Aunt Pat, nominalize, terabthia2

...I'm reminded of why I absolutely love that old "Fuck the South" rant.

Sometimes I think it; more often than I care to confess to.  But I'd never do it, and neither would any of the good liberals I know.

Yes, the Red States seem to "bite the hands that feed them"...but watching people go hungry sucks more.

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." ~ Steven Biko

by Marjmar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 04:25:03 PM PDT

•  Very true (1+ / 0-)
      Marjmar

but you won't find this liberal family who is very much about ending hunger - going to the South to feed people any time soon.

They only  go hungry because they have a belly full of hate.

I won't risk my life of the lives of my children to feed a bunch of people who would likely shoot of me and my family due to the bumper stickers on the ass end of my car.  We have had many discussions about this as a family.  Many.  And we always come up with:

We'll go with UNICEF to Africa instead.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 05:02:23 PM PDT

•  most of the people (2+ / 0-)
        Marjmar, Damnit Janet

who need that food aid are poor. Really poor. And that won't improve until the states they live in improve: they need better education, better opportunities - no hi-tech industry will stay in a state where they have to run everyone through school just to train them for the jobs - and yes, better government. What they have is barely updated from the 19th century.

(Is it time for the pitchforks and torches yet?)

by PJEvans on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 05:16:59 PM PDT

•  Extremely poor (0+ / 0-)

Children with distended bellies and their teeth are not coming in.

Well aware of the excruciating poverty there.  Sadly, also aware of the extreme hate there.

Good friend, one of my best - went to Mississippi after Katrina to help out.  She has tats, piercings and blonde dredlocks.

She went full of good intentions.  She came back saying she'd never go back there again.  She was spat on.  Called all sorts of horrible names as she was spooning out food and handing out soap and sanitizers...   She radiates love and warmth and she insists we go to Africa on our sabbatical instead of the South as she would fear for us each moment we were there.

She went with a church group, too.

I think at some point UNICEF is going to have to be called in to help with the hunger in the South.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 05:26:08 PM PDT

•  As an Alabama Democrat, may I say... (0+ / 0-)

good riddance.  We neither need nor want you or your family here, not with that attitude.  Enjoy Africa, and you will have my prayers that AQIM is a better host for you than Southerners would have been.

•  And may you keep your Southern "hospitality" (1+ / 0-)
              TKO333

and "Bless your heart".    Slamming the door is always easier than opening one isn't it.

My attitude? My oh my.   But thanks for the clear reminder to steer clear of hot heads.

No where did I say money shouldn't go to feed people in the south or build their schools or shelter their children.  Actually those are the very tools on how to stop terrorism and other casualties of hate and extremism.

Nor did I South Bash.  I was sharing my dear friend's experience of attempting to help feed and clean some in the South after a horrific hurricane and openly sharing my families clear concerns of whether or not to go to the South or go to Africa in order to stave off hunger.

I was relaying why me and mine would be safer in Africa feeding the hungry than in the South.

I will continue to keep you and yours in my thoughts that one day people will not vote against the very needs of their own children so as to punish others simply because of the color of their skin, how they pray or who they love.

Peace.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

by Damnit Janet on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 06:26:16 PM PDT

•  You're doing good somewhere in the world. (1+ / 0-)
        Damnit Janet

That's what matters.  And you wouldn't seek to hurt anybody.  And that matters even more.

No way should you have to risk the personal safety of your kids or yourself to help anybody, and nobody has the right to ask you otherwise.

Sometimes we make some hard choices.

Better to keep on living and helping that die trying.

by Marjmar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 05:18:22 PM PDT

•  My husband does the majority of hunger work (1+ / 0-)
          Marjmar

but my daughter works in the kitchen of Loaves and Fishes, too.  My spouse does Meals on Two Wheels once a week one week and then twice the next.

My son works with the Oregon Food Bank with his program.

We do risk.  But when it comes to helping... I can't risk it with those who would bite the very hand that feeds them.

We need to build schools
          Feed the hungry
          Shelter those without houses.

That's how you stop terrorism.  But I don't know what it will take for the majority of the South.  I just don't know.

"Love One Another" ~ George Harrison

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site