View Diary: Missing Pieces of the Story of Sun Myung Moon (119 comments)

•  that's new: (12+ / 0-)

"...not even allowed to be together for four years."  I never heard that part before.  So did these couples ever behave like married people in any significant way?  Or were the ceremonies themselves the goal of the exercise, as if to demonstrate more of Moon's "godly powers"?

University of Bridgeport:

Apparently U of B is still a Moonie operation, and also offers degrees in chiropractic and naturopathy, two fields that are widely considered to be forms of medical quackery.

"Minus two votes for the Democrat" equals "plus one vote for the Republican." Arithmetic doesn't care about your feelings.

by G2geek on Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 10:22:02 PM PDT

•  They do have actual marriages (4+ / 0-)
      KenBee, G2geek, Don midwest, native

I know a number of moonies and they are still matched and there is still a huge family push for arranged matches.  This generation seems to be breaking from the older one in a lot of ways, mostly in that a lot of the matches will get married, but it's just a sham marriage, as opposed to previous generations that really took moon seriously and made the marriages work.

I know a couple people who went there and it seems to be better than this makes it out to be.  One of them is at a decent law school and finished his MBA.  From my talks with him he got a pretty good education.  He's a libertarian, but that definitely didn't come from schooling, that was always around.

The revolution will not be televised. But it will be blogged, a lot. Probably more so than is necessary.

by AoT on Sat Sep 08, 2012 at 10:45:38 PM PDT

•  according to the Wikipedia article... (1+ / 0-)
        Don midwest

.... the law school split off and is affiliated with Qunnipiac College (sp?).

How'd you come to know a bunch of Moonies?

by G2geek on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 01:21:22 AM PDT

•  Different law school up in Sacramento. (1+ / 0-)
          G2geek

My partner is an Ex-moonie, although the rest of her family is still in the church.

by AoT on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 10:12:31 AM PDT

•  eeyow, that must make for some... (0+ / 0-)

... potentially "interesting" dynamics with the in-laws.  I'm interested and I'm open to listen, but I won't pry.

by G2geek on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 12:20:34 AM PDT

•  There used to be a Moonie restaurant in Berkeley (8+ / 0-)

It was called Aladdins. Almost right on the corner of Claremont and College.  They must have kidnapped and mindfucked some NY Jews because it was a terrific delicatessan. I ate there untill I found out it was Moonies. I figured it out when I drove a towtruck (Husteads) on the night shift and I'd see all the staff walkiing there together at 4:00 AM and  then see them all walking back home together around 11:00 PM.
        It was very popular untill it became well known to be Moonie. It was good food but I woldn't patronize a Moonie place like I won't walk Faux News (and I use the term "News" in its most humorous sense.)

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 05:29:07 AM PDT

•  Not so fast on chiropractic. (2+ / 0-)
      RainyDay, G2geek

Many people, myself included, have found relief for physical problems through chiropractic.  Where it runs into trouble IMHO is when they push regular treatments as a health regimen.  As soon as they tout chiro as a broad panacea for total wellness beyond musculo-skeletal issues, that's where they lose me.

(That sound you are hearing is a paradigm being shifted at Warp Factor Infinity using no clutch.)

by homogenius on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 10:44:14 AM PDT