View Diary: Dismantling the GOP voter suppression machine: a field report (108 comments)

•  Yes, plus how about TV ads.... (16+ / 0-)

... highlighting, explaining, documenting (perhaps in the way "Firms" does it so well)...

"The Republicans Don't Want You To Vote...
      (and here's why)"

* how we know for sure
      * why they are doing it
      * what you can do about it (hint #1: vote!)

#3: ensure network neutrality; #2: ensure electoral integrity; #1: ensure ecosystemic sustainability.

by ivote2004 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 07:57:28 PM PDT

•  Happy to remove my HR from the tip jar (5+ / 0-)

when the diarist deigns to drop by and provide contact links for the organizations supposedly involved in this awesome goodness.

Sorry to tag this on to your comment, ardyess, but I want this up top. Lots of kossacks are getting very, very excited about what appears to be a pure fantasy.

Don't ask if I'm better off now than four years ago. Ask if I'm better off than I would have been under four years of McCain.

by WisePiper on Sun Sep 09, 2012 at 10:35:25 PM PDT

•  Missing forest for trees? It's the strategies (9+ / 0-)

First of all Wisepiper, I don't appreciate your dismissive tone ("deigns to drop by"), completely uncalled for. I often have to work evenings and weekends and could not reply because of my shift. Maybe try to at least consider that possibility in the future before declaring a Diarist AWOL.

Second this is from an old friend that I hadn't been in contact with for a while, I just got word of it and haven't had the chance to call up for hours and hear all the ins-and-outs of it. We'd talked months before about ways to counter voter suppression and this was a systematic treatment that really cataloged a boatload of useful strategies. They're running a ground-up ad/hoc operation among what are likely thousands like it, the organization AFAIK is fairly informal, group is fluid and grows by word of mouth so on and so on.  I will certainly pass on more direct info if I have the chance to follow up with him this week but given the hideous shifts on  my job and family demands it won't be easy, I wanted to pass this info on in a rare window when I could.

Third and above all, I think you're completely missing the point here. I didn't post this diary for a mere short-term, passive rah-rah effect as you seem to think, I posted it because IMHO it contains tangible, valuable information for thousands of other grass-roots groups and volunteers to overcome vote suppression efforts. It's the practical strategies and pointers that matter here and it's important to convey this to the broader community. The specifics will anyhow vary from state to state and locality to locality, but it seemed that the systematic compilation of what to keep in mind and what to watch out for is of tangible help in collating information that's useful in the field. I haven't had a chance to find out whether his group has actually managed to register ten thousand new voters or barely over a thousand-- I'd obviously be more cheered in the immediate term if they're nearing five digits. But would I find those strategies any less useful or worth communicating if they're merely scraping the low end of their targets? Absolutely not. Those strategies seem very productive and effective and not always widely known, and since we're entering the home stretch, it's probably worth organizing the information and letting people know about them ASAP.

The bottom-line is that I found these strategies quite practical and useful to communicate, and given my tight limitations of free time it was the most efficient way to get the word out. You obviously have a right to disagree with that assessment, but if so, I would hope that you would contribute some constructive thoughts of your own on GOTV efforts.

•  Have removed my HR for your response. (4+ / 0-)

Nevertheless, your entire diary gives the impression that all of these activities are taking place on a substantial scale. We're supposed to take your word for it, second hand, without any links to the groups engaged in this multi-pronged offensive? Without links, this reads as a great fantasy about what could be happening, if only people were doing it. To be clear, I'm sure a lot of it is happening in one way or another, but the size of the effort you're reporting on, and the success you're claiming, could lead to a false sense of security. We don't need that. We need realistic assessments of the actual state of affairs, so we can all target our efforts most effectively. I live across the country from Florida. My on the street efforts are here in Washington, but my phone banking efforts will, as dictated by available time, be directed where they can be most useful. All of us would benefit from honest reporting of what's happening where to make that kind of decision.

by WisePiper on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 03:46:45 AM PDT

•  Sorry about the tone (4+ / 0-)

I realized I over-reacted as you did have a point-- I responded to your post after returning from a rough night shift stressed out about the still rougher week ahead. I really should have inserted a little NB that I was heading out to work and couldn't elaborate immediately. Unfortunately there's a day shift coming up in a few hours too so I should probably sign out for now, all the best for the week ahead everyone.

•  asdf (5+ / 0-)

Given that the last time you posted a comment at DKos was two years ago, and given that you offered no hint in this diary that you'd be unable to attend it, I don't think "deigns to drop by" was over the top.

I look forward to whatever information you can provide that will substantiate the successes your friend is alleging. I sincerely hope the fight against voter suppression in Florida is actually getting the kind and scope of push back it cries out for.

by WisePiper on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 03:55:39 AM PDT

•  AFAIK is not enough: reality based community (5+ / 0-)

Granted that the diarist's schedule and obligations only allow a diary every few years, surely he/she could have waited longer to get the specifics before diarizing:

In reality-based community, one knows (quotes are from diary):

the name of the organization or the locale of its operations; these are not  "ins-and-outs of it" but essential facts

sharing " tangible, valuable information" includes websites and links to resources

"I haven't had a chance to find out whether his group has actually managed to register ten thousand new voters or barely over a thousand" means for someone who is concerned with voter suppression you have not taken into account the excellent research available right here on Daily Kos about Florida before posting. I cite from a diary that documents the opposite story, alas ignored and unrescued.
          Diary with all the facts that make this diary unlikely

For example:

Rachel Maddow shared some information almost too hard to believe. While Republican registration has remained largely unchanged in July of election year between 2008 and this year, jumping a bit from 95,525 to 128,039, Democrat registration has fallen from 259,894 to 11,365-- I defy Republicans to come up with an explanation and straight face.
          AFAIK also presume that individuals will be want to undertake anti-voter suppression action themselves, which translates into a progressive version of Truethevote ---the last thing one wants.

BTW you called the group Resistance, and the only Google reference I found for a group in Florida with that name described an equally shadowy but fabulously heroic group fighting electric companies in the Florida Keys.

Change my mind, provide the facts: you will earn the accolades the diary received.

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 04:47:47 AM PDT

•  just a hink of a link ? (7+ / 0-)

"We're happy to report that the Republican strategy is backfiring massively. Our group is mostly based in the West, but in the last few weeks our small contingent in Florida alone has managed to:..."

who's the "we" again ? i didn't hear ya...

what's your "group" called and how do we find ya ?

we're kossacks, and we're tryin' to be civil here.
      caveat emptor, right ?

* Join: OBAMA'S TRUTH TEAM * Addington's Perpwalk: TRAILHEAD of Accountability for Bush-2 Crimes.

by greenbird on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 04:26:34 AM PDT

•  Only one concern: (2+ / 0-)
      Sharoney, ardyess

have you the money and people to do this?

If it works, we must move this program out to every district in the country. We must elect a strongly Progressive Congress in 2014, and keep it that way from that point on.

They say "cut back" - we say "fight back"!

by Louise on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 07:53:16 AM PDT

•  This diary really cheers me up... (1+ / 0-)
      ardyess

...along with our victories in the courts regarding Ohio and Florida.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Gandhi

by alaprst on Mon Sep 10, 2012 at 08:57:48 AM PDT