View Diary: New Curiosity Images Bring Home That Mars is a Real Place, We'll Be Seeing Soon With Our Own Eyes (283 comments)

•  We're *already* there, as much as is necessary. (1+ / 0-)
    atana

Given the challenges we're facing, the added expense of getting humans there simply isn't worth the cost, and I would be very surprised if anyone bothers in our lifetimes.

We can learn plenty with unmanned instrumentation, and are doing so. The point is the science, not the romantic idea of bootprints.

Have a flagon and discuss the news of the day at the sign of the Green Dragon, or hear me roar on Twitter @MarkGreenFuture

by Dracowyrm on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 09:17:07 PM PDT

•  Then you're going to be very surprised. (0+ / 0-)

Things are not the way you think they are.  The costs of getting to space are being drastically reduced, and a lot of private money is going into opening up space to mankind in general.  Your opinion is on the wrong side of history, and history will demonstrate that within a few years.

Everything there is to know about the GOP: They're the Bad Guys.

by Troubadour on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 09:24:25 PM PDT

•  Nope. Sorry. The Moon was the outlier. (1+ / 0-)
        atana

...and a product of a unique set of circumstances (the Cold War) that no longer exist.

You're dreaming, Troubadour. YOUR opinion is on the wrong side of history. Yes, there will be some (near) space tourism, for the very wealthy. And that's it. The only reason governments or the private sector do these things is to make money. And the investment vs. payoff of going to Mars is gigantic.

History will demonstrate that within a few years.

by Dracowyrm on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 09:36:26 PM PDT

•  You don't know what you're talking about (0+ / 0-)

and unfortunately you're no exception to the rule that that fact is rarely a deterrent to forming a vehement opinion.  These people are not doing this to make money - there are countless better, more profitable ways of doing that than the risks and uncertainties of spaceflight - they're looking for ways to make money on space so that they can pursue space sustainably and expand on the capability.  They're on a mission, and there are several billionaires on board.

If you don't understand the yearning that drives this, then you will never cease to be shocked by what is accomplished - and perhaps dismayed, if you find human aspirations arrogant and wasteful.  There is a yearning to crest the next hill, and another, more substantial yearning to build new things that do not yet exist.  I'm sorry that your world is so small, and likely will continue to be even after you're proven wrong - you'll just dismiss whatever's going as just a few billionaires, then just a few dozen millionaires, then just a few hundred millionaires of a lower order, then just a few thousand affluent folks, and so on, and so on.  It won't be bus drivers and waitresses traveling to space in your lifetime - except as promotions and sponsorships - but it will be inevitably.

Mankind will not be contained.  Those who wish a future that looks like the present will inherit one, but they can't stop people whose hearts beat with the stars.  They are driven by the power of life itself.  Apollo was a false start, not an abortion.

Everything there is to know about the GOP: They're the Bad Guys.

by Troubadour on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 10:21:45 PM PDT

•  Ballocks. I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. (0+ / 0-)

Look, I was a fanboy for the fantasy when I was a kid, too.

Yes, there's some yearning.

There was yearning for jetpacks and flying cars, too.

My world isn't "small"...and spare me the condescending mock pity, which is unwarranted. I'm not the one hitting the pipe here: you are.

"My world" is real. It's factual rather than romantic. Much as you might long for your sci-fi dream, it ain't happening. It ain't practical, ain't profitable, and it ain't worthy of the kind of money we'd have to spend on it, considering the very, very serious problems we have on Earth to contend with. It is unworthy of the prioritization it would require in order to happen.

Telling yourself that there is a "manifest destiny" to expand into space is a fable. There is no such "destiny".

by Dracowyrm on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 11:23:38 PM PDT

•  Yawn. Another bitter curmudgeon (0+ / 0-)

who wants past failures to be future ones too so you can rationalize not being around to see them.

Everything there is to know about the GOP: They're the Bad Guys.

by Troubadour on Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 11:26:40 AM PDT

•  Faith-based dismissal. Persuasive! (0+ / 0-)

I provided analytical reasons for my position. Thus far, you have provided only wishful thinking.

I'm not a curmudgeon: I'm also not a fantasist. I'm an analyst. I work with facts and trends.

But clearly, that's not your way, or you wouldn't be defending the position you are. But wishing won't make it so.

The Bradbury/Asimov/Clarke future is not coming. Sorry.

by Dracowyrm on Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 07:27:57 PM PDT

•  see xkcd (0+ / 0-)

note the scroll-over text.

pseudoscience can kill

by terrypinder on Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 07:14:32 AM PDT

•  I should say: I loved Apollo. Followed every (0+ / 0-)

launch.

But that was then, and this is now. That was a powerful economy, not yet broken by an unwinnable war and terrible economic policies.  And there was a reason to go.

Now, all the reasons can be met by robots, and neither the political motivation nor the money is there.

The Space Age--from the standpoint of the vision of significant numbers of humans being offworld--is over.

by Dracowyrm on Tue Sep 11, 2012 at 09:40:47 PM PDT