Skip to main content

View Diary: Evidently Romney wasn't the numbers guy at Bain (136 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Transcript and video (26+ / 0-)

    here

    GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Is $100,000 middle income?

    MITT ROMNEY: No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less. So number one, don’t reduce– or excuse me, don’t raise taxes on middle-income people, lower them.  Number two, don’t reduce the share of taxes paid by the wealthiest.  The top 5% will still pay the same share of taxes they pay today.  That’s principle one, principle two.  Principle three is create incentives for growth, make it easier for businesses to start and to add jobs.  And finally, simplify the code, make it easier for people to pay their taxes than the way they have to now.



    "and less" ??  Mitt Romney is one confused little monkey.



    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous..........got me?" - Don Van Vliet

    by AlyoshaKaramazov on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 07:22:18 AM PDT

    •  What does that even mean? (7+ / 0-)

      200,000-250,000 is a range.  You don't get to include less.  This dude went to and graduated from Harvard?  I am feeling less and less impressed by Ivy League schools.

      "On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

      by middleagedhousewife on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 08:45:53 AM PDT

      [ Parent ]

      •  also (14+ / 0-)

        if he really meant 'and less' then he wouldn't have disagreed that 100K/yr is 'middle income'. because as even romney should be able to understand, 100,000 is 'less' than 200-250,000.

        anyone born after the McDLT has no business stomping around acting punk rock

        by chopper on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 08:53:54 AM PDT

        [ Parent ]

        •  I'm willing to cut him some slack (1+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          innerlinbo

          because I don't think that is the main story here.  Have you ever watch those pawn shows?  People are asked how much the want and 1/2 the time they give a range.  "Oh I was hoping to get 7 or 8 hundred.  No you just asked for 7 hundred.  So I think that it is okay if he says that middle income is 250k and less or 200k or less.  

          Now set aside that middle can't be all the way down to 0.  He just either didn't give a bottom range or he really meant middle and lower incomes.

          So given all of those points.  Mitt just said that (and this is the more salient point)

          1.  Reduce taxes on income $250k (or $200k) and lower.  
          2.  No change to tax burden on the rest - the wealthiest Americans
          3.  ????
          4.  Balanced budget and unprecedented economic growth!

          So his economic advisers are The Underwear Gnomes!

          "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

          by newfie on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 09:51:29 AM PDT

          [ Parent ]

          •  This is all about Obama's (0+ / 0-)

            plan to let the tax cuts expire on those making $250K and more a year.  That number has been thrown around and Mitt is just making sure everyone knows he will not take away the Richie Rich's tax cuts.

            David Koch is Longshanks, and Occupy is the real Braveheart.

            by PsychoSavannah on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 11:28:36 AM PDT

            [ Parent ]

          •  Bingo! (1+ / 0-)
            Recommended by:
            newfie

            Pegging someone making $250,000 as middle income was gravy. Saying your not going to raise taxes on 95% of the population and the other 5% will still have the same tax burden is a overly convoluted way of saying you're not doing anything about taxes.

            But you can't then spend more and balance the budget.

            Unless you have the Underwear Gnomes.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site