View Diary: Anonymous Allegedly Retaliates for the Arrest of Barrett Brown (43 comments)

•  Public defender last I read (2+ / 0-)
    Bill W, Murphoney

a legal fund is set up.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 07:44:30 AM PDT

•  Texas public defender? Wonderful. (2+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III, Murphoney

No offense intended to any good public defenders in Texas, but their reputation is not the best.

•  He made a threat against the children (3+ / 0-)
      Murphoney, Bob Love, Timaeus

of the FBI agent.

Everyone deserves legal representation when charged with an offense.

But threatening someone's children is way beyond the pale. He better hope no one with children gets on his jury.

•  Have you listened to AM radio? (1+ / 0-)
        ichibon

You can hear that hourly. I see no arrests being made there.

This was an arrest based on political motivations I'm sad to say.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 08:09:56 AM PDT

•  I don't know if I can see political motivation... (0+ / 0-)

From a law-enforcement (or "tough on crime", at least) standpoint, I could believe that Brown was being made example of, maybe so that hacktivists would hopefully feel less-than-invulnerable, anonymous or no.

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 08:44:13 AM PDT

•  I don't think people breastfed on the internet (1+ / 0-)
            OllieGarkey

have any concerns about law enforcement actually catching them. IMO

Look at all the right wingers that slip away so easily because they are secretive as opposed to these "hactivists" that are flouting their manipulation of our society through their actions.

Or compare them to the real criminals the corporations- groups of people committing crimes like poisoning our well water and getting away with it because they have put money towards protecting their interests.

There is a severe disparity in justice regarding class and economics that this instance glaringly highlights.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 09:06:31 AM PDT

•  I'm not trying to say that it's an effective (0+ / 0-)

attempt, just trying to figure out how the cynical 'win' for authorities might be honestly portrayed.

But, truthfully, I don't know that it's really necessary to look beyond the fact that Brown more or less publicly declared himself a threat to a federal agent -- as far as actions that are likely to leave you un-arrested are concerned, that one isn't on the list.

Separately, I can't see how the authorities paying attention to a fellow who is a likely danger to himself and/or others could possibly aggravate the unjustice of the lack of prosecution of corporate crime.

When you suggest that corporations are the "real criminals," the unavoidable other half of the equation is that you consider Anonymous not to be real criminals and that is simply not so -- as least for the "members" (I know there's no membership, but forgive me the convention) that commit crimes in order to (or acting to mistakenly) uncover illicit dealings and unethical goings-on.

I'm not a believer in the ends justifying the means to the extent that all crimes should forgiven because something positive came from the commissions.  I do believe that there are heroes who dare to commit crimes in order to stop greater injustices -- these heroes don't claim they should be forgiven.  They take their licks, because they knew what they were doing, going in.

It seems curiosity has killed the cat that had my tongue.

by Murphoney on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 09:27:37 AM PDT

•  No, he also talked about killing agents (0+ / 0-)

if they tried to come after him, in addition to menacing remarks about the agent's kids.

Barrett is extremely fucked up. Anonymous doesn't need a heroin addict as an avatar. He served a good cause, and then disserved it.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 02:20:59 PM PDT

•  I repeat myself. (0+ / 0-)

The same things and WORSE have been broadcast by rightwingers without raising an eyebrow.

How is this different?

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 02:50:33 PM PDT

•  Really? (2+ / 0-)
              Bob Love, Murphoney

The RW commentariat commonly calls out FBI agents by name, threatens to ruin their lives - by doing damage to their children; and offering to shoot anybody who tries to stop them?  Hannity maybe? Someone over at National Review perhaps?

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 03:23:35 PM PDT

•  Without examples of "same things and WORSE" (1+ / 0-)
              Murphoney

comparisons are not possible.

But my point is that Barrett was really fucking stupid for saying the things he did. Really fucking stupid.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10

by Bob Love on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 03:49:25 PM PDT

•  And then went on about how he'd kill agents (2+ / 0-)
        Murphoney, Catte Nappe

if they came after him.

I don't really care whether his increasing hysteria was brought on by heroin, old anger issues or fluoride in the water. He was simply an ineffectual writer with little to say, all heat and no light.

"I was a big supporter of waterboarding" - Dick Cheney 2/14/10