View Diary: Welcome to NYC present your identification at the internal checkpoint (56 comments)

•  You should try and cross the barracade. (1+ / 0-)
    rubyr

They will just turn you back but then you can say it did happen to you.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 04:55:50 PM PDT

•  I wonder if the only way you can get in to (1+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III

the barricaded area is to be a Pace student? This whole thing is just sickening. Hell, I wonder what area they will barricade. The whole bottom of the island is teeming with tourists from Chinatown to the Staten Island Ferry. I have a feeling that the barricade will function, not based on IDs, but rather on appearance.

My problem with trying to cross the barricade is that they probably would just turn me back b u t ... I get so pissed off that I cannot keep my big mouth shut. So far, I haven't gone to jail but it's a wonder that I haven't.

"Southern nights have you ever felt a southern night?" Allen Toussaint ~~Remember the Gulf of Mexico~~

by rubyr on Fri Sep 14, 2012 at 10:35:01 PM PDT

•  That is what bugs me the worst (2+ / 0-)
        rubyr, glitterscale

about how NYPD is handling their job.

Culturally in NYC this is the norm:

I get so pissed off that I cannot keep my big mouth shut.
        So why are they arresting people that are vocal about their rights? I know it is conditioning us to be more compliant. But on a sociological level these arrests are changing a long established cultural norm by showing other NYC residents they too will be penalized for speaking out.

Do I think NYC residents will suddenly become Portland, Oregon polite? No but this is social engineering writ large.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 05:17:07 AM PDT

•  it truly is and it works. I cannot afford to go (1+ / 0-)
          Horace Boothroyd III

to jail or pay a fine and that does control my participation to a certain degree. It's odd. I have been screaming right in their faces that they are the 99% too and should consider that before they pepper spray or push or harm and they don't do anything to me and many have actually agreed with me and said that they are just doing their job (which I guess they are). I pointed out to them that it is "HOW' you do your job that matters. Most of the really violent ones are the "white shirts" who are higher up the food chain. They are really nasty and they have no idea that they are part of the 99%. Other people, who are just standing somewhere get arrested because the cops circle a large group of people with these orange nets and once you are inside of the netting, you are headed to jail. The first time I remember them doing this is the Republican Convention here in 2004. it is a very creepy thing because if they are behind you and circling you don't even see it coming. I have leapt away many times just before the net encircled me. It's very random and capricious. They probably get about 50 or more people in each net and that's how they cleared the area of all protestors very quickly at the RNC. You always want to stay on the edge of the crowd in these situations so that you can escape the nets. "Nets" is a misnomer, they are more like huge, long, long and wide pieces of orange plastic that they just wrap people in and they can't get out.

by rubyr on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 06:34:50 AM PDT

•  Plastic is not impenetrable. (1+ / 0-)
            rubyr

And in the right conditions will easily fail.

It certainly hot today here already. I'm waiting for rain. If it gets too hot, since I don't have an a/c I can go to the grocers and get some dry ice to put in front of the fan to cool off.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 06:44:00 AM PDT

•  It would take every person breaking out at the (0+ / 0-)

same time and ripping the plastic away from the cops and that would cause a riot. It's hard to explain how it works.

by rubyr on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 11:08:35 AM PDT

•  Occupiers did it last year. (0+ / 0-)

In NYC.

Looking for the video.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 11:23:45 AM PDT

•  I'm not saying it can't be done. I am saying (0+ / 0-)

that it's not easy to do. I'm really not saying anything at all except that it happens, is extremely intimidating, instills fear, is very surreptitious and it suppresses attendance.

I have never seen anyone break out of the nets once they are surrounded but I am sure that they have and I am sure that the shit hit the fan for them. Mostly they are squished up inside those nets until the cops line up with the plastic zip ties and arrest them.

I'm sorry if I offended you or for whatever I did that made you feel the need to challenge me -- this is not something I want to argue about or have a "you are wrong" thing about. It is heartbreaking to see a once free and wonderfully "live and let live" city become a police state. This is my home. It hurts a lot of people here.

by rubyr on Sat Sep 15, 2012 at 12:49:27 PM PDT