View Diary: Elizabeth Warren leads Scott Brown by 6 in new poll: 50-44 (210 comments)

•  I don't see how ANYONE with one Dem cell in their (32+ / 0-)

brain could vote for Scott Brown over Elizabeth Warren.

This is a tight $ time for us.  Other than one $10 contribution locally, the only political donation I've made is $50 to Warren's campaign.  And I live in Indiana...we're envious that MA has such a superb choice.

Actually, I don't know how anyone with one SANE cell in their brain could vote other than for Elizabeth Warren.

I'd love to go to MA to door knock for her.  Maybe wearing a Larry Bird T-shirt would immunize me from bad reactions to my foreign Hoosier accent?

When visiting my niece who used to live in Boston, someone asked where I was from....Indiana, I said.  Where?!!! they asked.  Indianapolis, I said.  Their next question was:  Is that anywhere near French Lick! This was years after Larry Bird had left MA.  It always surprises me that to this day, our genuine the-real-deal southern IN rural farm boy still has such a huge fan club there.

"Evil is a lack of empathy, a total incapacity to feel with their fellow man." - Capt. Gilbert,Psychiatrist, at the end of Nuremberg trials.

by 417els on Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 03:38:08 AM PDT

•  I Dont See How Anyone With Just ONE DEM Cell In (13+ / 0-)

their brain could ever vote for any RepubliKlan for anything!

I never have, and 99% of my brain cells are decidedly NOT Dem...

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Republican Party.

by OnlyWords on Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 05:37:15 AM PDT

•  Brown is VERY personable (5+ / 0-)

as well as being a MA native from a non-elite background, who might appeal to blue collar Dems who resent a "Harvard" candidate from Oklahoma.

Please don't shoot the messenger as I don't like him much myself, but do know a bit about Massachusetts politics.

•  Really? (4+ / 0-)

Then you would know Warren was a scholarship student to college and law school and her family experienced poverty when her father had to become a janitor. You seem to be confusing her with Willard Romney.

•  You shot the messenger (4+ / 0-)
          keetz4, v2aggie2, davidinmaine, mconvente

just as I requested you refrain from doing!

•  How so? (2+ / 0-)
            Grandma Susie, elwior

You intimated in your post that Warren was somehow elitist, and that Brown was more regular guy and that many people in MA could fall for that schtick and were somehow turned off of her Harvard connections. Rightly or wrongly I understand the point you re making.

The commenter then pointed out that far from it, Elizabeth Warren, just like Brown, background and uprbringing was one of humble beginnings and poverty.

The big difference is that Warren is grateful for those safety nets and government assitance her family had in their time of need..they helped build her, and she knows and realizes it. She is thankful. Not Brown, he is bitter and now that he is successful, wants to decimate and
             cut government programs that helped families like his and Elizabeth's. He got his now he wants to cut off those below beneath him.

Perhaps Warren needs to remind voters of her humble beginnings and how similar they are to Browns.But most improtantly contrast how she is grateful and that still supports the safety nets that helped her unlike her opponent.

Perhaps Brown is better at selling this regular guy image and humble beginnings, more so than Warren and that
            Warren is elitist,but in reality that couldnt be further from the truth.

Maybe Warren needs to make that case better...and remind voters how clear the choice is between her and Brown.
            Both came from humble beginnings and safety nets helped them, now that both are successful, only one of them wants to ensure others from their same upbringing have those safety nets in place. She understands the need for those safety nets, he could care less for those regular people, now that he benefitted from them but no longer needs them.

The Plutocratic States of America, the best government the top 1% and corporations can buy. We are the 99%-OWS.

by emal on Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 10:38:16 AM PDT

•  Yup. The guy is charismatic. There is no question. (1+ / 0-)
        elwior

But so is Warren. So I think she can pull it off.

•  Boston pro sports heroes here... (4+ / 0-)
      417els, CuriousBoston, elwior, pademocrat

are treated as absolute GODS. Seriously. Ted Williams. Larry Bird. Bobby Orr. Tom Brady. The "Big Four" from the four major sports. Their names are sacred and evoked with reverence. Their lore is passed from generation to generation. People who think of Boston and New England as the "Athens of America" are often taken aback by the fanaticism with which the region worships its sports teams.

I grew up with it, so I'm used to it, but sometimes I wish people would get perspective and realize there's more to life than sports.

Said while waiting eagerly for the Patriots home opener...heh heh...  didn't say I was immune, either! :)

Anyway, I thought Indiana was the only state in the US that didn't have an accent? :) :)

"If you're looking for somebody with George W. Bush's economic policy, Dick Cheney's foreign policy, and Rick Santorum's social policy, then Mitt Romney's your man." -- James Carville

by terabthia2 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 09:30:09 AM PDT

•  You can phone bank from home for President (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, v2aggie2

Obama. It may help Elizabeth Warren with the coat tail effect. Every Vote..

My personal computer is limited, can't post without tagging on. Community computer better. Pardon tagging to comments, spelling, please.

by CuriousBoston on Sun Sep 16, 2012 at 09:55:35 AM PDT

•  Good marketing, but the tide is turning. Fehrstrom (1+ / 0-)
      417els

has been very successful at keeping this race a beauty contest, and that would be won by Brown, but MA voters pose a big problem for Fehrstrom as these voters tend to study the issues and analyze candidates records before voting, and that is not good for Brown.  Two other factors in Warren's favor: the gender gap and the AFL-CIO of MA endorsement (withdrawn from Brown after they had endorsed him in 2010).

An interesting data point in both polls is the gender gap.  In the Springfield Republican poll, Warren leads by 15% points among women with 5% undecided.  In the PPP poll, Warren leads by 20% points among women with 7% undecided.  When you compare these numbers to Martha Coakley's 7% lead among women in 2010, you can see that - albeit denied by Republicans - the War on Women is costing Brown a lot of womens' votes.

The 400k strong MA AFL-CIO mobilized to elect Brown in 2010, but this year (after endorsing Brown based on his promises of being pro-labor and then voting against labor every chance he got) they are throwing their weight behind Warren.  To put it in perspective, there are about the same number of registered Republicans in MA as there are AFL-CIO members.

Warren is also fighting the sexism in MA (after living here for 34 years, I still cannot comprehend how a "liberal" state has this problem with election women to statewide office in 2012). [People forget that one of the reasons Romney won here in 2002 is that he ran against Shannon O'Brien, much more qualified than Romney.  MA has never elected a woman Governor or Senator - this is amazing and I hope it ends this year.]

So no cakewalk for Warren, but I still think the gender gap plus the labor endorsements will put her over the top.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Mon Sep 17, 2012 at 04:23:32 AM PDT

•  The AFL-CIO did NOT endorse Brown in 2010. (2+ / 0-)
        DefendOurConstitution, 417els

You are perhaps confusing this with the endorsement of Brown in the legislative election of 2008.  The labor council endorsed Martha Coakley in the special election of 2010, although rather unenthusiatically, which is understandable.

What IS true is that Brown's labor rating went from 75% in the legislature down to 33% or 25% depending on who is defining it.  Also working in Waren's favor is the expected higher turnout in the industrial cities over January 2010 (see my post downthread).

"Now go out there and make me do it!" - Franklin Roosevelt

by brae70 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 at 04:46:20 AM PDT

•  My bad. It was in 2008 that AFL-CIO endorsed (2+ / 0-)
          brae70, 417els

Brown.

In 2008, Scott Brown sought and received the endorsement of the AFL-CIO in his campaign for re-election to the state Senate. Brown did not try to hide his Republican leanings, but he did stress his support for the issues important to the working people of Massachusetts. He mentioned he was a member of two unions -- dating back to his time as a magazine model.

But after two short years in the U.S. Senate – manipulated by extremist Republican colleagues – Brown has changed. He has become much more K Street, Washington D.C. than Main Street Wrentham. He is Wall Street’s favorite senator.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Mon Sep 17, 2012 at 05:52:00 AM PDT