View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Morning Digest: Tammy Baldwin pulls into lead while Tommy Thompson rests (173 comments)

•  Romney/Baldwin voter? (1+ / 0-)
    LordMike

An older white women who has worked most of her life. Maybe was a past HRC supporter. Maybe a bit racist.

•  Yet progressive enough to vote (2+ / 0-)
      LordMike, JBraden

for an openly gay woman.  I like how you said "voter" cuz I think that's about right.  There is only one person who fits the description you give.  She operates the tilt-a-whirl at a roadside carnival in Fond du Lac.

White Male, 36, New FL-14 (Castor), proud father of a 4-year-old daughter. "Who let the dogs out? Who? Who?" - Mitt Romney, MLK Day 2008.

by spiderdem on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 06:07:02 AM PDT

•  Sorry (3+ / 0-)
        spiderdem, LordMike, jncca

It's my MIL, a former Public School Teacher. She lives one mile from WI. So not technically a WI voter, but I can see others like her in WI. She is very gay friendly, but not so much african american. Voted Dem for President her entire life, until 2008.

•  Some weird people out there. (11+ / 0-)

In 2008, I asked my 88-year-old grandmother, who isn't the most progressive in the world on racial equality, if she was going to vote for Obama.  Her surprising reply: "You're damn right I am!  I've voted for every Democrat since Roosevelt!  What makes you think I'm gonna stop now!"

by spiderdem on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 06:34:53 AM PDT

•  Nader voter to McCain voter (4+ / 0-)
            spiderdem, LordMike, Audrid, dufffbeer

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I believe a late uncle of mine ended up going from being a Nader voter in 2000 to a McCain supporter in 2008. You probably couldn't say that about that many people in this country, if it's true.

"The election of Mitt Romney and a supporting congress this November would be a...disaster for America. Think of the trainwreck that has been the Conservative government in Britain since 2010. And square it."--Brad DeLong

by bjssp on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 07:05:54 AM PDT

•  McCain was a palatable Republican (4+ / 0-)
              LordMike, sacman701, R30A, JBraden

Remember, before the 2008 election McCain was seen as a maverick, and he championed some legislation Democrats liked. McCain-Feingold, or McCain-Kennedy. It wasn't til he ran in the Republican primary nationally that he veered right. Plus, being an earnest war hero certainly didn't hurt his case.

•  Wisconsin voted for Obama by a huge margin in 08 (4+ / 0-)

so I am not sure this is about homophobic vs. racist voters.

Not everyone in Wisconsin is racist, as the '08 results show. Nor is everyone homophobic.

Baldwin is a true progressive. She showed up at the Wisconsin protests. She is also truly attractive to older voters because she supports strengthening Medicare and she has worked on legislation to help veterans.

Also, Baldwin has been advertising and Obama has been advertising very little in the state.

•  Phillipino Tilt-a-Whirl operators are this... (1+ / 0-)
        spiderdem

...nation's backbone!

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 06:42:15 AM PDT

•  You know (1+ / 0-)
          LordMike

I just saw that movie last week, and had forgotten the tilt-a-whirl reference.  No doubt it still existed in my subconscious, giving unknown inspiration to my fictionalized Wisconsin voter.

by spiderdem on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 06:44:42 AM PDT

•  I was kind of meh on the movie (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, geoneb

as I am with many movies these days, but the part where the incensed old white guy at the town hall yells at Will Ferrell, "You cannot take me to Rainbowland. I refuse to go!!!!!!!" reminds me of this clip I saw of Tim Bishop being yelled at by some woman, who screamed that he shouldn't push her into some sort of socialized medical system.

by bjssp on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 07:08:07 AM PDT

•  To continue, it honestly made me think (2+ / 0-)
            Audrid, LordMike

I could never actually hold elective office, but only try to get people elected. Part of me feels bad for this person, as she was being spoon fed a bunch of nonsense by right-wing groups. There was a legitimate debate to be had over the future of the health care system, but Republicans didn't want to have it. I know better, but I tend to have a short fuse with these types of things, and I'd hate to think I'd turn into Chris Christie at the drop of a hat.

by bjssp on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 07:19:54 AM PDT

•  Republicans who like Tammy's record on farms (3+ / 0-)
      LordMike, kkjohnson, fearlessfred14

and veterans and Medicare and don't trust Ryan's plans for Medicare.

They don't want to vote for Obama because they aren't really Democrats, but will do so down ticket. They see Thompson as a Washington big spender.

•  Certainly not GOProud (0+ / 0-)

I heard yesterday that GOProud is endorsing Thompson, who said that he opposes ENDA.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 08:49:39 AM PDT

•  They are a Tea Party group (0+ / 0-)

so it's not surprising. I think they're well to the right of the Log Cabin Republicans.

Male, 22, -4.75/-6.92, born and raised TN-05, now WI-02, remorseless supporter of Walker's recall. Pocan for Congress and Baldwin for Senate!

by fearlessfred14 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 09:57:35 AM PDT

•  A Romney/Baldwin voter looks like (0+ / 0-)

a Walker/Obama voter.  Which we had some of in the May/June polls.

Walker, your pink slip is coming, unless the orange jumpsuit gets you first.

by non acquiescer on Tue Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18:25 AM PDT