View Diary: Conversation with two retiree GOP'ers, Romney in bigger trouble than he realizes (164 comments)

•  First they came for the Jews et cetera (25+ / 0-)

Or, whose ox is being gored.

I propose that there are likely different issues where you (or I) do exactly the same thing. It's not that we (or they) are so bad, it's that there's so much shit being done.

Romney economics: Feed our seed corn to the fattest pigs and trust them to poop out jobs.

by blue aardvark on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 06:24:31 AM PDT

•  They seem to have obvious pleasure (11+ / 0-)

in demonizing the "libruls", it's so much fun to beat up on hippies.  I can't even begin to imagine the kind of person who gets that kind of joy from demonizing "the other" to make them feel superior.

It's not just the issues, it's been a source of entertainment.  Not so funny anymore, I guess.

•  But I don't get the feeling that these old guys (16+ / 0-)

are the sort who really getting off on hippie-punching.

by blue aardvark on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 07:03:59 AM PDT

•  But don't we have that contempt too (16+ / 0-)

for "Teabaggers"? Let's not feel so superior, ourselves ion that regard. I supopose it's human nature to disparage those you strongly disagree with.

•  There isn't a media (3+ / 0-)
          dinazina, ColoTim, WheninRome

industry dedicated to disparaging teabaggers.  They are held up as the pinnacle of society.

•  Baggers held up as "the pinnacle of society"? (0+ / 0-)

Really? Not in my state (WA). Not that I've noticed. Where do you live?

I'd say they're given more respect than they deserve, their misinformation not analyzed sufficiently in the media. That's bad enough.

I still hold that we feel far superior to these people. We'd say, with good reason - due to their blind ignorance and bigotry!

And they detest liberals equally. Not surprising. What they've been taught.

•  Well, maybe not lately (3+ / 0-)

But in the early years, the media wouldn't make a move without consulting the tea party.   They made huge inroads, it was a grassroots organization, whatever we heard, it was all good with them, up until they actually started getting elected.  They're even toppling entrenched Republicans.

I live in the northeast, and no, us personally, we do not consider tea partiers true patriots.

What really disgusts me is Palin and McCain when they were going on about the US being the most productive society in the world (ie hard working/underpaid) and Ryan and Romney going on about the lazy 47%, well how the fuck did that happen in 4 years and do these people ever listen to what they're saying?

Sorry, I am REALLY frustrated.  I mean, I'm glad to see that people are starting to have conversations and are starting to be able to talk to each other, but really. Was all this necessary?

Once I heard an NPR interview with McCain when he was asked about protests in Russia, which he wholeheartedly approved of. When someone pointed out that OWS was also a protest, he immediately swung over to the tea party.  Wouldn't even let the letters OWS cross his lips.  This is and has always been the party that discounts certain groups, like they don't exist.

•  What I'm trying to say is (3+ / 0-)
          dinazina, TiaRachel, zett

There is a giant media and political machine programmed to elevate certain people and demean others.  It takes work to avoid being believing in this machine. These people didn't do any of the work all these years, they most likely bought into the hype that teabaggers are true patriots and OWS people are dirty, whiny losers, because that's what the machine told them.  Now after all these years the machine has been turned against them.

It isn't just what I think, or how superior I feel - I don't - i just feel frustrated. It's the design of the machine, that makes them feel included, part of a club, in on the secret and no matter how many times you tell them they're not "in on it", the machine is lying to you, they don't hear you, until, finally, they feel the machine's effects.

•  The Tea Party (0+ / 0-)

deserves contempt. They are dangerous, or at least their users are dangerous. The things they seek to do to this country are couched in faux patriotism.

But let's divide them up.

The Tea Party power- Kochs, et al, deserve our contempt.
          The poor tools that unwittingly do their bidding thinking they are neo-revolutionary uber-patriots deserve our sympathy- our firmly applied sympathy.
          Don't hate on those poor souls, but don't give them the keys to the kingdom either.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 12:03:43 PM PDT

•  It is a juvenile level of maturation. (2+ / 0-)
        cama2008, liz

This can be said for the whole GOP now...the top down, winner-take-all mentality is still a juvenile level of human maturity, oblivious to the needs of the world.

Not that many people attain full human emotional maturity but it is always the cooperative model when they do. When men are growing up there is this internal push for individualism, for competitive aggression, and this seems to be a natural push to get out of the nest and into the world to fulfill the biological dictum: eat, survive, reproduce.

However, with age and in a larger grouping of people, that drive should develop to sustain the grouping (the family, the tribe, the nation) even if the younger men retain the warrior mode for defensive purposes. But they should remember, it is exactly that, defensive. It takes cooperation to insure the success of the group. That is where our democratic model comes from, not from the authoritarian and often dictatorial hierarchical model.

Women develop in terms of the cooperative model and that is why today we see so many snide comments from people like Rush L., but those are really a figurative look over the should at the future overtaking their juvenile stance.

I'm not a psychologist, psychiatrist or ethicist...just making an offhand appraisal that indicates a great choice the nation can make which could be a massive change for the better. The Democrats accepted the cooperative model in the McGovern rules in 1972 with proportional representation within the dominant hierarchical decision structure. The GOP has always stuck with the winner-take-all top down model.

Or to put it simply, the Democrats outgrew it and matured, and the Republicans never did. They're stuck back on the plantation and, quite frankly, are much more an obstruction to this nation's progress in the world on most every front than anyone can imagine.

The truth is we are tortured by the truth.

by walkshills on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 09:12:03 AM PDT

•  Vicarious cannibalism. (1+ / 0-)
        cama2008

It's what cowards engage in.  Virtual or character distruction leaves them with clean hands. And the person attacked has no defense.

Yes, an internvention is needed. The abusers have to be made to stop.
        Since they can't be embarrassed, we have to fire their sorry asses.

We organize governments to provide benefits and prevent abuse.

by hannah on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 09:58:34 AM PDT

•  Yeah, cama, (1+ / 0-)
        cama2008

I find it sad when people so avidly denigrate other people. It tells me they think so little of themselves that they need to push others lower. And then there's the sons of bitches that just enjoy being cruel.

And when's the last time anyone has seen a real "hippie"? (There are real differences between hippies & Deadheads.) I see hippie-bashing as strawmen-bashing or shadow-boxing.

by Gentle Giant on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 11:58:42 AM PDT

•  Yes, indeed (15+ / 0-)

There is too much for one person to take in…

And I think that's the strategy.

(and I really enjoy this diary, I miss the Loyal Opposition)

Today, I'm working on the women's angle of this election, and aardvarks are welcome to help rec, too… and if there are any Lady aardvarks, please let them know…

NC_Women_VOTE-banner

You can help get the swing state of North Carolina in the D column this November. We need women, no matter where you live, to write letters explaining why you believe this election has huge implications for all women in America. You'll be writing to North Carolinian women individually. Hence the phrase Woman-to-Woman, because it is!

Yes, I'm out pushing this diary all over dKos this morning because it's important. I rarely do things like this, so I call upon years of good GOS karma and your forebearance. Or even better, your participation!

Go to the diary, see how to join the effort. And help get attention so others can have an opportunity to do the same.

Yes, it is that important. We can do this. Woman to Woman.