View Diary: UPDATED(Final): Boston Globe's Lehigh: "Warren hits her stride, while Brown stumbles" (285 comments)

•  At one point however (16+ / 0-)

he oddly "defended" affirmative action in saying that she "took a place that someone else could've had" which should have irritated his "base" ... if they caught it.

My relatives in MA who dislike Warren were all over the Native thing - it's a big deal among Scott's fans.

•  It would be, among "Scott's fans." Are they (14+ / 0-)

birthers, too? I thought Coakley sucked, and I find nothing to dislike about Warren. She's a little earnest and could have used a laugh line or two, but that's just caviling. I think she did herself some real good. I just think she should ask Brown, "Why are you a Republican?"

Two hundred million Americans, and there ain't two good catchers among 'em. --Casey Stengel

by LongTom on Thu Sep 20, 2012 at 10:44:38 PM PDT

•  No they're not birthers at all (5+ / 0-)
        phonegery, woodtick, elwior, jlb1972, SadieSue

My cousin has lived in the Wrentham area most of her life, and identifies with Scott, as opposed to Elizabeth, whom she finds very grating, whiny, etc.

•  uh (9+ / 0-)

for "grating, whiney, etc" read: men have issues with powerful women.

Inconceivable! You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

by hopeful on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 04:26:46 AM PDT

•  The Wrentham area (9+ / 0-)

is notoriously one of the most conservative pockets in Massachusetts, and Scott's home territory.  People have known him there for years.

I've seen Scott Brown plenty over the last couple of years and am I wrong that he grew a Massachusetts accent overnight?

•  I was a bit startled (0+ / 0-)

by how heavy it was - can one consistently keep it up for a whole hour like that?

•  Professional training. Some New Englanders (0+ / 0-)

use speech training to lose their heavy accent. For a year I worked with a Stanford grad that flew in from Illinois each week. At Christmas, relatives kept telling me I spoke differently.

At work once, my boss from California had me give a tour of the plant to the new Southern sales rep. He followed us for amusement. I managed to understand her. My accent and very fast speech, with a slight lisp were puzzling to her. I did not realize until later, when I caught my boss coughing with laughter as he relayed the tour. Luckily, I was angry, not crying. Wish I had a tape of that, it must have been hilarious. Not then.

My personal computer is limited, can't post without tagging on. Community computer better. Pardon tagging to comments, spelling, please.

by CuriousBoston on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 09:22:20 AM PDT

•  After 60 years away (1+ / 0-)
                CuriousBoston

my mother has pretty much lost her MA accent, although when she's actually there for any time, it comes back somewhat. I can't see Brown consistently laying it on thick, in the middle of having to scramble for replies?

•  I don't know. It depends on what training he (0+ / 0-)

received, if the training is continuing. If MA aides are correcting him. He also has experience from the Senate. His tendency to snap replies quickly, in general to respond quickly, may affect the accent.

My closest eight relatives all have different versions of the Boston and New England accents. Most of us cannot tell the difference. If I concentrate, after a few hours, I can pick out differences with difficulty.

When traveling, residents of Basildon, in south west England, understood me perfectly. I could understand only a few of them. It would have been hilarious, barring my part Irish heritage with red hair and freckles so obvious.

by CuriousBoston on Sat Sep 22, 2012 at 05:27:43 AM PDT

•  Scott's a Republican because he's a good (15+ / 0-)

follower who thinks he's independent and achieved "success" on his own. He was an insurance salesman when he sought local and state office at the behest of the chamber of commerce. Insurance is an easy business that requires lots of chatting people up and leaves a lot of free time to make social connections. So people inisirance and banking make ideal political candidates when mouth pieces are wanted. It's what leadership relies on, willing followers who maximize one's influence.

We organize governments to provide benefits and prevent abuse.

by hannah on Thu Sep 20, 2012 at 11:27:11 PM PDT

•  What Makes You Think That Sales Is Easy (3+ / 0-)

Good salesmen make it look easy but it's one of hardest jobs you can do.  I'm not a salesmen but I have many friends who are. Usually people who demean people who work with their minds rather than their bodies think that anyone who doesn't work with their bodies have it easy.  While I'm not a salesman, my work is to plan strategies to keep our apartments effectively advertised, and filled profitably  with people won't damage our property.  My husband, who fixes the places up, and is terriric at it, still does not give me credit for the work I do, because " I do heavy labor."  he tells me, "and you just sit around"

Newt 2012. Sociopath, adulterer, hypocrite, Republican.

by tikkun on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 06:23:08 AM PDT

•  Parallel to the birth certificate (12+ / 0-)

Mass. resident who missed the debate (yes I know). I did watch the rerun of Rachel Maddow and they were talking about the debate (I 've already forgotten the other person) and they said it was just like the birthers, demanding proof.

I've talked to a friend who is Cherokee and while he considers ancestry to be one eighth, he did agree that since the registry that Warren joined allowed people w/ less NA heritage and that she was w/in their guidelines.  Then after I forwarded him the Sunday Globe story where she probably has much deeper NA roots but no one used to declare "Indian" on the Census back then in Oklahoma for obvious reasons. Once he read the story, he said she was an NA.

•  Was it a dog whistle? (0+ / 0-)

IIRC there have been some major conflicts in Massachusetts about the remaining NA tribes, their claims to legitimacy and recognition, and issues regarding "privileges" re land use or possible casino rights.  I don't have time to look it up, but it struck me that this could be another right-winger grievance that people outside the state would not think of, believing as many do that somehow a state that gave us the John Birch Society and 70's race riots and that manufactures hand guns and missiles and houses major financial and insurance corporations just could not be like that ...

Then let us learn our range: we are something but we are not everything - Pascal

by jlb1972 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 08:43:35 AM PDT

•  Not really (2+ / 0-)
        jlb1972, CuriousBoston

I mean, there is regionalized issues about such, but it's not particularly winger in nature. More like townships and regions and Native American tribes duking it out, and the state as well.

Sigh, now that casinos are legal, well...it's all moot.

(Though, I will note, they are having trouble getting competitive bids to want to BUILD one in greater Boston! I hope it tanks the whole project, frankly.)

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

There's plenty enough already to dislike about Brown, and I do like to be efficient about these things  ... . And BTW from my perspective Professor is a more honorable term than Senator!

by jlb1972 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 09:10:45 AM PDT

•  Yes, tanking casinos is good. Older people in my (0+ / 0-)

building spend their Social Security checks at the casinos. I don't understand it. I went to a casino in Aruba, just watched, not even one bet. Sat down on a stool to watch a woman with filthy hands feeding slots from a cola cup. She started screaming-I was sitting on the good luck chair or something. Such is my casino experience.

by CuriousBoston on Fri Sep 21, 2012 at 09:27:14 AM PDT