View Diary: Hunger in Indian Country: Food Banks Running Out of Food. Okiciyap (We Help). (295 comments)

•  IIRC, his wife is from Pine Ridge, . . . (9+ / 0-)

but he is white, and also IIRC, it's his own private corporation, not anything that benefits Pine Ridge.  Which is why I included the caveat.  Reminds me of that whole Borderlands Ranch Syndrome,  y'know?  [We get a LOT of that around here, too.]

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 06:46:58 PM PDT

•  Along these same lines, (10+ / 0-)

there's a company called Grounds for Change. It's a fair trade coffee company that helps nonprofits do fundraisers with its coffee. I'm wondering if people might be interested in having me look into that for Christmas and Thanksgiving time.

Helping a food pantry on the Cheyenne River Reservation,Okiciyap." >www.okiciyap.yolasite.com<"

by betson08 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 06:51:08 PM PDT

•  Mmmmm . . . coffeeeeeee . . . . (10+ / 0-)

That and chocolate are my two big vices.  except that now, it turns out that they're both good for you, so I guess I've been deprived of even my tame little vices now. :-D

Good idea!

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 06:57:33 PM PDT

•  I'll contact them and get the details (9+ / 0-)

I tried this for another organization but it was nixed. I think we can get the company to send it directly and then Okiciyap gets a cut.

by betson08 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 07:00:40 PM PDT

•  If coffee and chocolate (9+ / 0-)

are no longer vices, then the sugar added to them still is. I promise.

Does that help?

(I haz the same vices)

curious portal - to a world of paintings, lyric-poems, art writing, and graphic and web design

by asterkitty on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 07:29:09 PM PDT

•  Does it count if it's raw sugar or agave? n/t (8+ / 0-)

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Sun Sep 23, 2012 at 07:33:46 PM PDT

•  I add a gazillion packets of sweetener, then (2+ / 0-)
            Aji, nomandates

a cinnamon stick. Both are good for people with diabetes. Cinnamon sticks are very light, if the Isabel people are coffee drinkers....

My personal computer is limited, can't post without tagging on. Community computer better. Pardon tagging to comments, spelling, please.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 08:42:21 AM PDT

•  No artificial sweeteners . . . (3+ / 0-)
              betson08, nomandates, CuriousBoston

allowed in this household.  They're deadly for both diabetes and autoimmune disease, so neither of us can have them.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 05:33:46 PM PDT

•  Me too (3+ / 0-)
                Aji, nomandates, CuriousBoston

First, Splenda leaves a chlorine taste on my tongue. The others taste metallic to me too. I can't imagine what it's doing to my body. After giving up diet soda, I can't stand the way that tastes anymore either.

I"m all about unsweetened iced tea for cold drinks.

by betson08 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 06:01:21 PM PDT

•  You know, I've NEVER been able to stand . . . (2+ / 0-)
                  nomandates, CuriousBoston

sugar in my tea.  Makes it taste like syrup.

But Nutrasweet and those things - ugh.  Neuropathy Central.  Same with Splenda and the others - and I loathe the taste.  Sickeningly sweet.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 06:08:27 PM PDT

•  I haven't experienced anything like that. I use (0+ / 0-)

the cheapest sweetener I can find. I have had damage to my nasal areas, olafactory smells are a great part of taste, I may be missing some of the taste that others pick up; why I like large amounts of sweetener and other tastes like hot and sour soup, large amounts of ginger, garlic, onion, scallion, and warm fruit. Hot chicken broth with large amounts of various veggies, but not too many at a time.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 08:22:46 PM PDT

•  Deadly for diabetes? I have diabetes. What is (1+ / 0-)
                Aji

the medical reasoning for that? Is that your opinion, or personal experience? It is certainly not true for most people. Curious-please tell me.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 08:16:10 PM PDT

•  It's both. The research is out there, . . . (1+ / 0-)
                  CuriousBoston

and our own personal experience would be more than enough anyway.

Read up on Aspartame (which is what NutraSweet is), and other like "sweeteners."  They are toxic.  They also contribute to inflammation and other systemic damage that is deadly for diabetics.  One of the many contributing factors in the death of one of my sisters.  Aspartame, etc., are the sorts of substances that were never meant to go into the human body, and the back-end studies before they hit the market showed that.  But Rumsfeld ran the company back then, and he made sure that it didn't matter.

Wings won't touch it; jacks his sugar badly, as well as his neuropathy and other symptoms.  Does all kinds of terrible things to my autoimmune disease, too.  In diabetics, studies - those not ultimately in hock to corporate and similar interests - show that they ultimately create the same A1c and other damage; it simply takes longer to show up.  IIRC, River has a bunch of info on it; she won't touch the crap either.

And actually, I'd bet that it IS true for most - probably all - people.  They simply have diets that are too full of such crap to realize where their symptoms are coming from - and/or too unaware of what their bodies should feel like to realize that they're even having symptoms in the first place.  What I see on a daily basis (and keep in mind, we have the highest diabetes rate of any ethnic group) WRT diets and lack of fundamental knowledge about health and illness is . . . well, indescribable, actually.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 08:26:54 PM PDT

•  I will have to research the inflamation part. (0+ / 0-)

Maybe get links from Kitsap, and ask a couple of the hospital librarians to research it for me. Did not know Rumsfeld was involved; that's horrible to know. Boston Business library would have information on that. Seems like a topic should get familar with.

My A1c is 7, I haven't had a CRP test for inflamation. Will fill out the test form for it. I get the test form from PCP, ask other doctors what they want, then fill in the form and get tested, I can add the CRP. Due fasting trigs soon.

by CuriousBoston on Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 08:42:49 PM PDT