Skip to main content

View Diary: Daily Kos/SEIU State of the Nation poll: Obama's lead holds steady despite higher ratings for Romney (44 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  That 87% is actually the problem (7+ / 0-)

    The 47% disinformation is designed to pit citizen against citizen; that's the whole point of the Romney strategy. But since most people, including people in Romney's big category, don't believe they are moochers, they are willing still to believe other people are moochers taking from them. It's the politics of class division, and it's pitting the middle class not against the rich but against themselves or a mythical gigantic poverty class that's leeching off the middle class.

    Do NOT dismiss the GOP as being out of touch with reality just because they are. The economic fairness argument needs to be pressed home.

    Reagan and Bush II got elected to two terms basically lying or denying what they'd been doing to the middle class.

    Some people are intolerant, and I CAN'T STAND people like that. -- Tom Lehrer

    by TheCrank on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 05:08:19 AM PDT

    •  Yep (2+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      GWinkler, Kimbeaux

      Thanks, I was just about to make the same point. Romney's "47%" comments are a huge dog whistle to the conservative, get-their-news-from-Fox-and-Rush crowd. They've heard "47%" before -- most notably in the Fox business news guy's attempt to counter Occupy's "we are the 99%, they are the 1%" slogan with "we are the 53%, they are the 47%."

      Since they all (including, evidently, those on Social Security benefits) believe they are paying income tax, that means they know that "the 47%" isn't "us" -- which means it must be "them". And "we" all know who "they" are -- please don't spell it out!

    •  Why "47%" could work (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Publius Cornelius Tacitus

      One would think only 53% of the population would have a chance to agree with conservatives about the mooching 47%.  But since 87% think they belong in the 53%, it really is a clever way to conquer and divide.

      Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be actually working outside of the Tea Party.

      Come to think of it, that 34% that don't pay income tax but think they do probably is the Tea Party.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site