View Diary: Atheism Is Not Enough (58 comments)

•  I agree -- not a negative trait at all (14+ / 0-)

It's the freedom to realize that superstition doesn't have to rule your life, and that you don't have to obey scam artists who pretend a more intimate connection with your invisible friend than you have.

As an atheist who never had to break from any religion I feel free to pursue a moral life unencumbered with prescriptive theological baggage, while finding sources of inspiration wherever they speak to me.  That's a very positive trait, to my mind.

For the love of money is the root of all evil; and while some have coveted after it, they have erred from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (1 Timothy 6:10)

by Dallasdoc on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 06:55:31 AM PDT

•  I meant negative in the sense (4+ / 0-)
      coquiero, Dallasdoc, WarrenS, pvasileff

that atheism does not make claims about the nature of things beyond what is verifiable or logical. In this sense, atheism's negativity is decidedly positive.

"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." ~ Samuel Johnson

by Spencer Troxell on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 06:59:49 AM PDT

•  disagree (3+ / 0-)
        Dallasdoc, WarrenS, Fishtroller01

atheism is whatever you want it to be, that's kind of the beauty of it.

There aren't proscribed rules like a religion.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 07:02:43 AM PDT

•  Understood (8+ / 0-)

... but atheists live by a different set of epistemological rules than believers.  We don't value the primacy of faith, but pursue reason and personal experience informed by our innate moral sense.  That's not a negative experience even in the sense I think you meant:  it's just a different, more independent way of looking at the world using rules that don't permit outside authority to trump our own sense.

by Dallasdoc on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 07:06:17 AM PDT

•  I'm intrigued by your phrases (1+ / 0-)
          WarrenS

"...our innate moral sense...", and "I feel free to pursue a moral life..." (used above).

I'm wondering what makes one's moral sense "innate", and why should one presume that is necessarily a good thing? Innate is a neutral quality, applying to defects as well as perfections.

•  Religious folks would say (4+ / 0-)
            tytalus, trumpeter, pvasileff, WarrenS

... that God put that moral sense into us.  I prefer to think that millions of years of evolving as social species have taught us how to get along with each other.  Moral rules coming from how we succeed in working with pack mates on the savannah require adjustment and elaboration in complex cultures, but the basics are already inbred in us, I would contend.

Those who transgress should earn the disapproval of other pack members, so the general rules have to be within us.  Toddlers on the playground show this very clearly, more clearly than adults generally do.

by Dallasdoc on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 10:14:21 AM PDT

•  In that case, (1+ / 0-)
        WarrenS

your writing needs work.

You need to express yourself more clearly, for the simple reason that you had to backfill.

I am not religious, and did NOT say I enjoyed sects.

by trumpeter on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 10:54:38 AM PDT