View Diary: Hi everyone, I'm Matt, and I'm an alcoholic. (271 comments)

•  I wish we could start a separate group.... (6+ / 0-)

....on this topic...as a person who has been crushed by my brother's drinking problems over the past few years, I would love to talk about what to do with the folks who go to meeting after meeting...and never stop....

•  Al-Anon (8+ / 0-)

might be a starting place for discussion.   and it's free of charge.
      i stress the word might.  not everything works for everyone, but it is my understanding people who attend al-anon meetings share their experiences with one another re: the alcoholics in their lives.

"From single strands of light we build our webs." ~kj

by kj in missouri on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:36:48 AM PDT

•  Everything starts with self awareness. (13+ / 0-)

I knew it wasn't normal or right.   You have to teach yourself to step away from yourself, and look at yourself objectively.   Health, relationships, your general outlook on life - they are all affected, but until something makes you admit that, you never change.

Find someplace where you can look in the mirror and tell someone who you respect what you see.  If they call bullshit, it's easy to start rethinking your life.
        Alcohol was like the genie in the bottle.  For 35 years, I'd let him out, and we would have fun.  Woo! Hoo!

Then, he started to eff with me, and I could never be sure what he was going to do when I let him out, so he stays in the bottle now, and I stay out - and I have even more fun that I did before.  I see a lot of stuff that I was missing before.  It was like getting a pair of glasses for my soul.

Nine months, this week.  Not a drop - not even close.   I find the thought almost disgusting now, and I love to drink.

Hang in there, Matt.  There are a lot more like us out there than you will ever know.

He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason. - Cicero

by SpamNunn on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:55:17 AM PDT

•  "pair of glasses for my soul" (5+ / 0-)

that is a beautiful statement SpamNunn and one my heart understands also.

happy, happy! birthday.   ;-)

"From single strands of light we build our webs." ~kj

by kj in missouri on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01:52 PM PDT

•  Congratulations! (1+ / 0-)
          SpamNunn

On nine months.  You are officially born!  :)

ODAAT, KCB!

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

by recrum on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 08:03:35 PM PDT

•  Love the post SpamNunn (0+ / 0-)

I have a paltry 56 days, but I already see the benefits of sobriety.  I am not a fan of AA, but I go once in a while to explore new groups.  I haven't yet found one I am comfortable in.

The skills (view) that I have gleaned while going through a detox & beginning recovery are enlightening.  I do hate some of the terminology, like 'recovery,' and 'relapse.'

AA tries really hard (some groups) to minimize/explain the God word.  But the word is so culturally embedded that it's thrown about in many different ways.

And, the roots of it's inclusion are hard to ignore when we have a populace of mainly religious people.  I try to deal with it, but it IS the main reason I don't attend more meetings.

One thing I'd like to know is this:

I'd like to feel this way......about the more fun part....seriously, this is the piece I'm missing, since so many of my activities were socially connected with drinking.  I can be with people drinking, but I'm certainly looking to get back to a book, or my couch....

Anyone else????

•  Good Question (0+ / 0-)

The Republican Party is Simply a Coalition of Greed and Hate

by kerplunk on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:50:01 AM PDT

•  I second the Al-Anon suggestion (5+ / 0-)

Al-Anon Al-Anon is for people whose lives have been (or are being) affected by someone else's drinking.

Like AA, each meeting is different; does things differently.

You can't solve someone else's problem for them, but you can learn to deal with how you deal with yourself & it.

hugs!

•  Al-Anon saved my life (7+ / 0-)

I'm the Mom of a 51 YO man who has struggled with his dual dis-eases for more than 30 years. He says the changes he has seen in me as the result of me trying to practice the spiritual [not religious] principles of Al-Anon has helped him in those moments that he realized his slip was not where he wanted to be.
        For me, whether he is clean/sober or still researching, my Al-Anon friends understand and walk with me as I choose to be serene whether he is drinking or not. And to be able to sleep at night no matter what is going on.
        Al-Anon has given me the courage to release him to his own journey when need be and welcome him back when he returns to share family life.
        May peace come to you and yours Matt! Hugs to all who want one.

Being president doesn't make you who you are....it reveals who you are. -Michelle O., September 2012

by Anne933 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 03:03:10 PM PDT

•  Thank you Anne! (1+ / 0-)
          kj in missouri

That's a beautiful story.  I admire your remarkable courage.  I pray for you -- and I pray that your son will find his way to join those of us in the rooms of AA!

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

by recrum on Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 08:07:09 PM PDT